Dead tenant...

If your tenant died, would you expect to be paid 28 days rent after their death?

• Nah, I'd just write it off. Poor bugger!

Votes: 35 37.2%
  • I'd hope that it was paid, but I wouldn't aggressively pursue it.

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • I'd absolutely pursue my entitlements - this is business!

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If he was entitled to more money for cleaning, he'd asked for it..
if he decided he didnt want it, he;d have mentioned it....

I would either keep the bond, or write a letter to the mans solicitor making a claim from his estate for what is owed. I wouldn't take legal action, or pursue it further if there wasn't enough in the estate. I am just asking for what is rightful, and at no detriment to anyone, besides the benefactor. If it doesn't go to you, it's only going to go to someone else anyway, and considering I am out of pocket I don't feel bad for doing so . .

It is quite normal for the estate to pay back any debtors before it is divided as per will, and would be a normal situation for the persons solicitor / executor to handle. Not a biggy in my eyes.

What they are suggsting is, in the current rental climate, 28 day sit too much notice & should be reduced. If it was reduced, the family would not have to pay 28 days notice for breach of lease.

That's what it had to do with His belongings were picked up & moved, by his daughter, and there was no mention of the landloard worrying about cleaning up, so I doubt he got ripped off from that

If the rental demand is so great the landlord wouldn't need to use the 28 day notice under normal circumstances. It could have been rented in a few days.However with this being such a small town region (so I'm lead to believe)everyone probably knows a man died there.Maybe the smell is hard to remove.
However this daughter has made such a fuss.

Wel I guess "our obession" said it better than me

We have contrasting views on an issue that has been raised in survey/question mode. Everyone has their own feelings and thoughts; the world is full of folk with contrasting ideas, thoughts, opinions, interpretations...

I am, what I am. You guys are you. So be it.

Although, the suggestion was simply to reduce the 4 weeks to 2 allroudn, not just in this particular case, which is what I was pointing out in answer to your question The landlord also decided not to re rent remember

....and very generally speaking, not really specific to any person or post:

(But I would like to quote this, if I may; 'cos it reminded me):

Kathryn d:
However this daughter has made such a fuss

Not knowing any details of anyone's specific relationship with friends or family; grief is such a powerful stress upon humans.

Loss through death, divorce, a child running away from home even, it's tough you know?

Nobody knows how they will react, we may be the most practical, down to earth personality and/or wear our hearts on our sleeves, but in the end you never how the old grief uppercut is gunna connect.

I have seen the biggest, most physically and mentally strong truckies deal with grief so hard, and get so angry and depressed, I have seen tiny little Nanna's be the tower of strength for families at times of loss. There can be no expectation upon how a particular person may respond to grief.

We all know the old stress rating thingo of how they score the stress of life events upon people...

Death of a family member is one of the highest ones....I have seen adults; (that run million dollar companies) lash out at medical staff and try to king hit Doctors after losses of family members, (their loved ones dying suddenly or even at an "expected" outcome that they weren't going to live..)

I have seen people go totally into shock, try walk across a main road and be totally unaware of traffic all around them..when my Dad died he owed money everywhere, I cleared his debts, not everyone reacts that way...he had made some very poor choices and choices of behaviour in his life, he was a chronic alcoholic; but I made sure he was buried with as must dignity and respect (for his life and bringing me into the world) as I could. I spoke the eulogy at his funeral; he wasn't a perfect Dad but he was loved very much, because he was my Dad..

Not everyone thinks like that; some people come out fighting and angry-at everyone! (Including landlords I guess).

Who knows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grief

This is just reading material, I'm not suggesting it is the psychological accurate definition of grief, life's experience of working with people dying and seeing how they react never ever fits within our books or dictionaries.

How you and I react to stuff is not necessarily the next person's reaction/affect/perception.

One thing for sure, life is never dull.:)

Back