Dead tenant...

If your tenant died, would you expect to be paid 28 days rent after their death?

• Nah, I'd just write it off. Poor bugger!

Votes: 35 37.2%
  • I'd hope that it was paid, but I wouldn't aggressively pursue it.

Votes: 42 44.7%
  • I'd absolutely pursue my entitlements - this is business!

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted to not seek money.

Just my thoughts and feelings on a tenant dying in one of my properties is that I would be very saddened, and would hope to be able to express my deepest sympathy to his/her family.

I would do everything to facilitate the tenant and his family were treated with respect and compassion.

I am very fortunate to have the life I have, choose the investments and follow the passions I follow...for me investing is a privilege and I choose it not to be at any cost.

I consider my property investing to be a means to my financial independence; (I am very proud of what I do and how I conduct myself).....but I cannot ever do so at the cost of my inner core values toward life and people.

Life is wonderful, very beautiful and precious to me. It is impossible for me to consider any option than that of respect and compassion for this man and his family.

Peace.

Ooh Monopoly, come out of hiding behind the screen? LMAO. How confrontational. You absolutely imply that those people are wrong and somehow ashamed of it.

I voted to recover the rent.

Perhaps having grown up with a solicitor for a father, I have a different point of view. Perhaps because I'm a nurse I have a different view to you. I see people die most every day. Sh!t happens. Why should the landlord be out of pocket? Why is it anything to do with being "heartless"? Why are the family cast into the "grieving" role. Perhaps the person has been sick and dies and it's a blessing. I should still get my rent!

I'm a young, single person with one income and two investment properties. I NEED the rental income. I'm not on the bread line, but I can't afford to just write off a month of rent, either. And nor should I have to.

I wouldn't turn up at the funeral, demanding money! But I would certainly expect the estate's executor to distribute to all debtors, including me. That's what they are there for!

i'm one of the 13 as well. i thought it's pretty clear from my answers:rolleyes:

oh and for the record: ATO wouldn't care about bad publicity, as wouldn't Telstra, Energex or other major companies. They will still have clients no matter what, reason being - their competitors will behave exactly the same in this situation and people understand it

Why are the family cast into the "grieving" role. Perhaps the person has been sick and dies and it's a blessing.

People who lose someone after the person was sick aren't supposed / allowed to grieve ?

I actually picked #2. How aggressively I pursued it would depends on the tenant, the state they left the property,arrears etc.

I have some tenants I personally do not like. I didn't start out that way. They did something to deserve it.
I wouldn't go their funeral either. Only ones I would go to would be our Supers.

However the more discussion we have here, it leans towards #3.

I am 8/13, anyone who isnt /13,
do shift work at a morgue,
work as an aid in an old folks home,
be a nurse,
take your well trained dog to a hospice to entertain the residents,
anything outside the comfort zone.​
bodies leak, sphincters relax, putrefaction begins immediately.
post mortem cleanup is extremely difficult, thats why hospitals & hospices are vynil steel and plastic
the property is not a private home, subsequent tenants have the right to expect that they are not walking on the remains of a prior tenant
It costs $hundreds/hour for post mortem cleanup. may require replaced carpets underlays
It is irrelevant how much the daughter spent on cleaning, the daughter is not capable of removing bio-waste from a death scene, cleaning still has to be done again, by a competent person.
1 month rent does not cover even part of it.
There is much that is not reported in the news article

This reply is predicated on the initial question, of a tenant dying in the property.

This reply is predicated on the initial question, of a tenant dying in the property.

Hmmm... I wrote the question and I'd assumed the tenant died in hospital, actually! ;)

But if there was an "odour of death" in the property, you absolutely would need to get some very serious cleaning done, and I'm sure you're right that that's expensive, and I would make a claim on the estate for that cost. How vigorously would I pursue it? Well, like so many things in life, "it depends"!

I really suspect in this particular case that the landlord had a bond but the Executor was disputing the decision to withhold it. That's my take!

Ozperp said:
Hmmm... I wrote the question and I'd assumed the tenant died in hospital, actually!
I actually read it.
news.com.au said:
Ms Theresa Duggan, said she had spent days and hundreds of dollars cleaning the Bennett Court home in Traralgon after her father's death there last December.
Death in December, warm, rapid decomp, household cleaners aint gonna cut it, The elder Ward/Duggan died in the property, there is a cleanup that the rent wont come close to covering,
poor bloody landlord painted as the villain again

Last edited:
Ooh Monopoly, come out of hiding behind the screen? LMAO. How confrontational. You absolutely imply that those people are wrong and somehow ashamed of it.!
Relax caterpillar, the purpose of my questioning is based on years of observational experience; having researched behaviours and people's responses in focus groups. Albeit it could be perceived as "confrontational" especially if you don't understand my sarcasm (as many newbies such as yourself) don't (note smiley icon next to the statement to "come out" and "fess up").;) my comments hardly imply that people should be "ashamed"!!!

FWIW...Perhaps being a psychologist, having been married to a Corporate Banker, working with streetkids / domestic violence, and witnessing the death of friends, family as well as strangers.....I too have a different view!!!

Do I think that people react without thinking to polls? YES; Do I believe those that voted 3 here are "wrong" or "should be ashamed"? NO. I just don't believe (as with many polls) it is an accurate picture that has been painted.

Oh and just so you know, I'm by no means :mad: quite the opposite....

:D LMAO :D ;)

Last edited:
Good pick-up, Bob. I obviously "skimmed" and I read it as she'd spent days cleaning up after her brother, who lived there at the time of his death, died, but I assumed she meant his personal effects. :eek: Doh!

Tenants Union of Victoria tenant advocate Bill Darling said:
the 28-day period should be revised because of the accommodation crisis

What does this have to do with anything? The man died, he is not moving to another rental. All his belongings just need to be packed up and moved.

And in a small town like Traralgon, (on a clear night you can hear the banjos duelling)
the ll is NOT going to find another tenant for the house "Jim Ward died in" nor will he be able to sell it.
So the property is already off the rental lists
Net loss to landlord
100% of purchase cost, 100% of income​
net expense to tenant 1 month rent

I haven't judged anyone or jumped to a conclusion based on their response because of the box they checked and/or their posting.
Really?
If a landlord is so irresponsible that ... then that landlord is (IMO) a total moron.

At the end of the day, I hope this man (the landlord) gets his money, and enjoys every minute of it, for whatever length of time Karma will allow him to enjoy it. :cool:

His family would be grieving enough, without being exposed such heartlessness.

I understand your position now, Monopoly, but if you review your earlier posts, well, it sure sounds like judgement to me :eek: I'm just reminding everybody that we don't always come across as we intend, as text is so poor at conveying tone... so if we're going to use emotive words, we ought to be careful that they convey the emotion that we intend. ;)

AlmostBob:
I am 8/13, anyone who isnt /13,
1. do shift work at a morgue,
2. work as an aid in an old folks home,
3. be a nurse,
4. take your well trained dog to a hospice to entertain the residents,
5. anything outside the comfort zone.

Roger, AB.

1. Yes, I have considerable years and experience.

2. Yes I have.

3. Yes I am.

4. How did you know my pooches were so well trained man!:) (Yes I have)...and our horses for gig rides, and wallabies.

5. Dat's my zone!!!

We have contrasting views on an issue that has been raised in survey/question mode. Everyone has their own feelings and thoughts; the world is full of folk with contrasting ideas, thoughts, opinions, interpretations...

I am, what I am. You guys are you. So be it. :)

Really?

I understand your position now, Monopoly, but if you review your earlier posts, well, it sure sounds like judgement to me :eek: I'm just reminding everybody that we don't always come across as we intend, as text is so poor at conveying tone... so if we're going to use emotive words, we ought to be careful that they convey the emotion that we intend. ;)
Yes my bad, my earlier posts DO indeed appear judgemental. Hence my apologies to you Caterpillar. :eek: However, the purpose of my question, was not intended to make people feel they should be "ashamed". Albeit I don't agree with their vote/view (if it is, as Sunfish said "fair dinkum") that doesn't mean they don't have the right to conduct themselves as they see fit; this I have said all along.

I have edited my earlier post (to Caterpillar).

And again, finally....

I still believe polls are an inaccurate reflection of reality.

What does this have to do with anything? The man died, he is not moving to another rental. All his belongings just need to be packed up and moved.

I think the 28 days would be considered a reasonable period of time to let a property. Perhaps it is being suggested that in these times of low vacancy that 28 days would not be required. It appears that part of the issue is that 28 days notice was not given.

Hey does anyone know how to view the tribunal hearing online? I tried to look it up but could not find any hearing that recent. Perhaps they take some time to list them online...

I think what makes this difficult is that we are all making our assumptions as we all know that newspaper stories tell only half the picture at best. In my own case I lost the ideal longterm tenant whom I personally knew, any financial loss was neither here nor there for me personally, and his rent was paid up-to-date and died in the hospital. In my case the tenant was one of many in the apartment block and had we behaved hashly it woudl have gone around the blcok like wildfire and may have effected ongong relationships with other tenants. Not that this motivated my behaviour but if compassion didn't I may have made the same decision on a business basis. I did claim against the bond although to be honest I have no idea how much I was out of pocket in the end. And in Tassie "claiming aginst the bond" is simple process as the bond is held by the agent thmselves and does not invole a hearing.

I know many think I am a complete sucker but to me property is a people business - it's one of the main reasons I love it - and since 1990 when I let my first property I have had only minor isses with tenants, (NEVER been to the tribunal and never had property damage) I have never taken out landlord insurance landlord insurance but I do enjoy very high rents and low vacancy. My soft approach has worked for me on all levels.

I vote for the second option but it really comes down to my mood at the time, my relationship with the tenant etc. If the tenant was somewhat difficult and late paying then I would be more inclined to pursue recompense.

Thus far we have had one tenant who has died but fortunately (for me) in hospital. I currently have about 4 older tenants who may be candidates with 2 living alone with no regular visitors.

Not so long ago we had a tenant attempt suicide luckily he did not succedd but none the less the police destroyed a fire door to gain access ($900) which was paid for by the BC.

There are professional forensic cleaners who will come in and clean the property. Some time back I heard a price in the vicinity of $400 don't know what it is now.

Here are some companies (in various locations) that offer cleaning services

http://www.bvmcleanscene.com.au/

http://www.bioclean.com.au/protocol.html

http://www.sceneclean.com.au/

Cheers

OK, if there were major issues with a clean up if the person had died in the house, then I would expect some compensation with regard to the clean up, which I know, from experience, is ghastly.

What they are suggsting is, in the current rental climate, 28 day sit too much notice & should be reduced. If it was reduced, the family would not have to pay 28 days notice for breach of lease.

That's what it had to do with His belongings were picked up & moved, by his daughter, and there was no mention of the landloard worrying about cleaning up, so I doubt he got ripped off from that

Back