Dealing with slimy agent

There's a slick South Brisbane REA I want to avoid. I bought a property from him a few years ago and the experience was horrible. Have since met someone who sold through him and she said he drove her to a nervous breakdown with "conditioning" tactics. Trouble is he's slick enough to get a lot of listings I am interested in.

Should I use a buyer's agent to not have to deal with him again? What would this cost? Any recommendations for Brisbane?

BTW I only just found these forums - great resource!

I've met some terrible agents in my time but I don't see it as a big issue.
I can see how it might be emotionally draining having to deal with one if you're the vendor, but if you're a buyer, particularly of an IP, what's the problem?

All you have to do is see him for 15 minutes at the property and the rest can be handled via email or through your solicitor.

Get used to it...they wont be your first or last one. Focus on the job at hand.

I once had one pull a contract out on the bonnet of their car wanting me to sign on the line immediately we stepped out the front door after a 20 minute inspection.

Slimy agents - doesn't faze me, seen it all before. I think it's a funny cliche.
The ones who think they're 'the King' (think American Beauty) of their little area, they're a pain in the ***.

Using a BA seems like an expensive way to avoid dealing with someone.

Just play the game. Provide your offer - negotiate and move on when the price surpasses your perceived value.

There's plenty of REA's like this.

Cheers

Jamie

I once had to deal with a sales lady AND the receptionist. They were both over me like a rash. Of course I acted in the most professional way and only dated them on separate days. Small compromises do help.

I once had to deal with a sales lady AND the receptionist. They were both over me like a rash. Of course I acted in the most professional way and only dated them on separate days. Small compromises do help.

:D:D:D
Hahaha! Your anecdotes are a wealth of knowledge to the forum

lol, your crazy!

And I agree that maybe he is worse to deal with if you are the Vendor. Atleast you are aware of what he is like, this would help you better prepare for him

Funny follow up:

Made an offer on a property through this REA on the weekend and he says he won't deal with me anymore because in his opinion I'm not serious (didn't say offer too low or how about this etc). He has some sort of wacko messiah complex I'm sure.

What do I do now? Go through the principal at his South Brisbane office?

Hi Sunny

Funnily enough we get many clients who've had unpleasant experiences in the past and wish to use a conduit instead for the purchasing process. It's more common than you think :) Even if it's only one property you're interested in BAs offer services for a single assessment and negotiation that means you can avoid dealing with the selling agent altogether. Having your own advocate also can provide you with confidence in pricing and reduce stress. Just because some buyers (and sellers) can handle all personalities (slimy or otherwise :D) doesn't mean you have to. Best of luck with your quest. Check out REBAA list for QLD BAs who are qualified, insured and experienced: http://rebaa.com.au/members/qld/

Funny follow up:

Made an offer on a property through this REA on the weekend and he says he won't deal with me anymore because in his opinion I'm not serious (didn't say offer too low or how about this etc).

What! That's crazy. I have to say, no matter how shitty agents can be it is also important for buyers to be nice too. Sounds like he thought you made a low ball offer? He sounds like a character but call him again and say you are serious and what would the owner accept. If he still doesn't help you, go to the Principal :confused:

What! That's crazy. I have to say, no matter how shitty agents can be it is also important for buyers to be nice too. Sounds like he thought you made a low ball offer? He sounds like a character but call him again and say you are serious and what would the owner accept. If he still doesn't help you, go to the Principal :confused:
I have experience with a very poor agent in Perth. I put in a written offer and the agent refused to present it to the vendor. I just went straight to the vendor, explained what happened and asked for a meeting. It took 15 mins to negotiate a price... motivated vendor, motivated buyer. It's hard to understand how an agent could stuff that up.

I agree in your case, go to the Principal, explain what has happened. See if you can get your offer presented. If I was a vendor, I would want to see all written offers. I would be furious if I found out a written offer was not presented.

Back