Dealing with Tradies?

Weg was responding to a post which was unduly harsh against another member. Nobody should have felt shafted, least of all yourself.

was it unduly harsh though?

i said bayview has a poor attitude, imo this is pretty obvious in his posts in this thread alone:

1) With the below post denigrating an entire lot of people (in this case tradies)

you are assuming tradies have been educated in customer service and other life skills such as empathy for client, manners, care factor after they have been paid, etc.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

2) Assuming that because im not his age my opinion doesnt have the value of his despite me dealing with tradies nearly every day atm

aah; the exuberance and optimism of youth.

I was your age once.

Let's revisit that thought after another 25 or so years....

Good luck. ;)

Maybe i shouldnt have used the word i did but id certainly consider his attitude to be poor. As you have mentioned though my post was not related to TMNT.

As an 'oldie' I have to agree with sanj.

And yes tradies would be good at reading people because most have been burnt or taken advantage of at different times by bad customers.

my theory is most good tradies have sussed out the bad customers within the first few minutes of a conversation and either don't turn up or overprice a job because they don't want it {you can afford to lose jobs because there is no shortage of work when you're good}, so the bad customers usually end up with the bad {or gullible} tradies :cool:.

Ok maybe not always but i bet this happens a lot.

i agree with this.

I seem to get shafted even though I've said or done no wrong

I've used no agression, sarcasm or any thing that could be taken as negative
The only thing that I suspect I might do is I come across as too easy going, and I give them too much control of the Reno

I need to learn to say, this needs to be done in x days or x hours

Deep down I'm worried that they will simply say " I'm not doing this anymore"
And since I'm usually interstate finding someone else will take days iehalf my entire trip, so unfortunately i take it up the rear pipe a lot of the time
like you, TMNT, I try to begin a relationship with anyone in a friendly and optimistic manner....especially in relation to asking people to do some work for me.

After a number of years and less than satisfactory results from folk who promise the world and then deliver a paper Atlas, you become somewhat cynical and in my case, happily call tradies - as a group - very ordinary people.

I could reel off plenty of examples.

I know some good ones though.

nup. I enjoy our banter, Sanj.

You don't know me from a bar of soap, so it's all cool.

Play on.

im a property developer so I deal with them all the time and have for 6 different projects in the last 3 or so years including a couple of office fitouts, new construction and renos.
You win!

You being older doesn't mean you're automatically right.
Since when did I proclaim to be right?

Might I point out that the guy who posted immediately before me confirmed what commonly transpires? Fourth phone call after no calls back, and so on...

I mean; fair go, dude..

Just putting forth my point of view based on experience is all. I was young once - like you are - and thought the world was full of good people....not quite full as it turns out.

I'm sorry if you thought it was being condescending; it wasn't mean to be....shoulda used the emoticons.

Hey, youse folks are all correct; as soon as the tradies get on the phone (the ones who actually call back), or turn up to talk about the job, they've sussed me as an r-sole in 4 secs and proceed to treat me like shoit for the rest of the job, not come back to finish of that little bit which would take a few minutes or whatever....just as they should and what I deserve for being an r-sole....right? yeah, that's me.

I'll give ya's one little example - just to defend myself - not that I really have to - I don't really care if your opinion of me is low, Sanj, but it's worth an illustration so you can better understand why I give tradies a pasting.

Our most recent PPoR...called a local guy to come over and have a look at a job of building some retaining walls we needed building down the back yard, and give us a quote......it's about a $7k job.

"Yeah; I'll call in the next couple of days and tee up a time to come 'round".......18 months later, still waiting for him to either turn up, or call.

Shall I continue, Sanj? I've got a bag full.

And by the way; I do value your opinion, just that on this topic I have a different experience than you have had so far.

My experiences are what they are...not right or wrong; they just exist.

Process it how you like.

Last edited:

i said bayview has a poor attitude, imo this is pretty obvious in his posts in this thread alone:

1) With the below post denigrating an entire lot of people (in this case tradies)

2) Assuming that because im not his age my opinion doesnt have the value of his despite me dealing with tradies nearly every day atm

Maybe i shouldnt have used the word i did but id certainly consider his attitude to be poor. As you have mentioned though my post was not related to TMNT.
Sanj

The problem was more with the way you said it rather than what you said- it made it more directly personal than it needed to be.

As you mentioned, one word you used made it unnecessarily harsh.

I've recently asked a company to do a small tiling job, after coming out to see the property, emailing a quote (after me chasing them for it) and also attempting to ask when they can start, I still have not had a response other than 'we will let you know'.... Been probably a week, start looking for someone else?

Back