Dear Mr Costa,

Dear Mr Costa,

RE: LAND TAX TOO HIGH _ MUST INVEST INTERSTATE

I am a young single female working hard and investing, so that I can afford to fund my own retirement.
I have purchased 3 investment properties, but on a single income cannot afford to buy my own home.
I would like to purchase another property in NSW but cannot, because I already pay $5234 per year in land tax.
My next purchase must be interstate, as I cannot afford such a high yearly tax.
I wish I could afford the taxes in NSW!! It's a real shame that land tax stops further investment in affordable housing in our state!
If one of my properties could be land tax exempt (claimed as my principal place of residence) I could afford to continue to invest in NSW.
Or reduce the land tax rates!!!

Reactions: Les

The Minister for Finance, Michael Costa, has asked me to thank you for your e-mail regarding Land Tax.

The matters you have raised are currently being examined and a response will be provided to you as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely,
Ian Gould

Office of the Minister for Finance

Thanks for posting Crystal.

Though it does have all the appearance of a standard politician's response, very similar to responses I received to letters about the disastrous "tax effective" agricultural schemes I was involved with some years back.

I wish you get a good response, as it is an issue which affects many of us here, but the cynic in me is not hopeful.

Back