Deception Bay QLD

I noticed that you can still get a 3-4 bedroom house 300m from the water at Deception Bay for under $350,000. This seems like quite good value - does anyone have any thoughts/knowledge in relation to Deception Bay

Cheers

Mick

I looked at deception bay but ended up buying in a nearby suburb instead.. mainly because I was after a specific type of property for a specific price range...
RESIDEX has primed as one of the predicted growth suburbs...
Ive watched that area for quite a few month and it seems to be moving in the right direction.. mind you most of SE QLD has performed well also...

Good luck with your search...

Hi Mick

We purchased an IP in Deception Bay a few months ago. Mainly for the same reasons as you, close to water and still affordable. Also rental yields in my experience are better than Redcliffe for example.

Cheers
Scoofy

Deception Bay

Dear Scoofy,

Do you mind letting us know more details of your purchase? I looked at Deception Bay but i did not think the rental yield was that great??

Thanks!

If you use the "search" function here, you will notice a lot of justified hype surrounding Redcliffe/Depression Bay/Morayfield...this corridor is a goer...:)

Hi Virgo,

We purchased a 3 bedroom house for $288K, with a weekly rental of $285. While this is not a great yield as such, it is higher than our propery on the Redcliffe peninsula, where we get the same rent but purchase price was $50K higher.

Cheers
Scoofy

Just a note - there is a good reason why it is cheaper than the Redcliffe peninsula.

Deception Bay is a very dodgy area, compare it with Mt Druitt/Dharruk in Sydney, maybe Elizabeth in Adelaide. It is has the reputation of being full of unemployed alcoholic losers.

Most people in the Redcliffe area avoid going anywhere near Deception Bay if they can.
I have only driven past the place a few times and I wouldn't be getting out of my car there.

So I would definitely go and personally inspect there if you were thinking of buying there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Swebay,

You are really exaggerating! We personally inspected the area, and I didn't see any undesirable individuals at all. Sure you can tell by the look of some of the houses that some are occupied by a lower socio-economic class, but the area has great potential. Plus there is a nice waterfront cafe where families and older couples were having a lovely meal. Didn't see any drunks and we liked the feel of the area.

Scoofy

Deception Bay is a very dodgy area, compare it with Mt Druitt/Dharruk in Sydney, .
I have a house in Willmot (north of Mt Druitt) and Deception Bay and think this comparison is very unfair. Sure Dec Bay is not Redcliffe and still carries a slightly bad reputation, but take a drive around Mt Druitt/Dharruk and there is no comparison.

Even is there was, growth has been great, so I wouldn't care.

well hey that's just my opinion, I wouldn't go to D. Bay if you paid me.

and I have only lived in Redcliffe for 6 months, I am sure people who have lived here longer than me think even worse of the place..

I went to school in Mt Druitt so I do know the area around there pretty well but as they say .. opinions are like asses....

I have lived in Redcliffe for 10 years and have several IP's in the dbay and Rothwell area's. I think Dbay has great potential and would not hesitate to invest there again should the right IP come along.

Wife and I purchased a 13 year old 4 bed brick home in D Bay 12 months ago, good condition, carport, full length patio for $240K. Reasonably close to the water.

Was renting for $225 week at the time of purchase (was under rented due to nature of current tenants).

Now renting for $240, will be $260 week in December - still under rented compared to the median of $295/$300 due to having good tenants.

Current resale price now has probably risen to around $310K - i have no intention of selling.

We bought if off from the net, did not inspect ourselves - had some family members do an inspection and all came up good.

True it is no Redcliffe - but is is only a short drive to there. I have no problems with the area we purchased in and will continue to look for bargains in this area as well as Redcliffe way.

Who can argue with 3 bed houses around the $300K mark now so close to the water, close to growth suburbs etc.

OSS

Just a note - there is a good reason why it is cheaper than the Redcliffe peninsula.

Deception Bay is a very dodgy area, compare it with Mt Druitt/Dharruk in Sydney, maybe Elizabeth in Adelaide. It is has the reputation of being full of unemployed alcoholic losers, mostly Islanders I have to say. (and with good reason)

Most people in the Redcliffe area avoid going anywhere near Deception Bay if they can.
I have only driven past the place a few times and I wouldn't be getting out of my car there.

So I would definitely go and personally inspect there if you were thinking of buying there.

Swebay,

Wasn't long ago that Brisbanites said the same thing about Redcliffe... a lot still do.

I've lived in Redcliffe for the best part of the last 20 years and have copped my fair share of screwed up noses when mentioning where I grew up...

Like Redcliffe, Deception Bay has come a hell of a long way in recent years.
I'd highly recommend Deception Bay to anyone considering investing there.

Michael

Hi all,

Hubby and I visited D bay a few months ago and I would agree the area has a while to go due to the type of people that live there but if I was to invest I would try to find a property with waterviews or very close walking proximity to water and just hold onto it I do not think you could go wrong.

I haven't been to Deception Bay - But Redcliffe is nice. I remember expecting the worst after reading what people say about the suburb. I was suprised - it was nice.. Comparing it to some of Sydney's cheaper suburbs Redcliffe and Rothwell are streets ahead........ And has potential because of the water

Back