Decking & Pergola, permit?

I'm thinking of building a decking 6700 Length x 2300 width and 500 high. It will have an overhead pergola. Do I need a Permit for something this size in the City Of Frankston? Can they make you pull it down if you don't get one?

Not sure about your location but I just went to my local council to speak about this. A deck fits within "exempt" development if it complies with a number of requirements including being less than 25sqm, less than 1m from natural lie of the land and has an open roof. I asked if putting see-through polycarbonate on top of an open pergola roof still constitutes a closed-in structure and they said yes and that it requires council approval.

What is the size of your land? A lot of councils now will allow anything to fall under complying development if it is within the guidelines and your land is more than 450sqm. For example, the house behind us is currently being built without us receiving notification from council. Apparently the owners/council don't need to inform the neighbours as the block is over 450sq. My first paragraph is unlikely to apply to you if your land is over the required size (mine's under this).

Hi Bayside,

Yes you will need a permit, however for a project such as that it shouldn't be too hard. My dad got pulled up by this (Maroondah Council) a few weeks ago for building a large shed extension in the backyard. Think one of the old neighbors got annoyed by it. They didn't make him pull it down, just get the site survey done showing overlooking properties and fill out the necessary forms.

For a project such as a deck you won't need to provide an extensive amount of information - just a survey showing the existing conditions of the property, overlooking dwellings and a proposed envelope of the deck you are planning. With the additional required forms shown on the checklist that was posted above there shouldn't be any hassles. Ignore the part in the checklist where it says a plan of subdivision as this won't be necessary.

If you have any queries on the process please don't hesitate to ask :)

Regards,
Ashley Stacey

Back