Deductibility of Drone for aerial photos

Hi,

This may seem like an odd question, but we have a couple of blocks that have potential water views from the second level, and we want to get some photos from the estimated height of the second level for marketing purposes.

We would have to pay a photographer something like 150-200 for this kind of service and want to have the ability to do this whenever we need at the drop of a hat.

We will also use it for other primarily property based purposes such as inspection of potential views from, and aerials of, sites. This is very important to us as we are within range of the ocean, and views could make a 50k difference etc.

We can get a drone for about 5-800 with good quality camera so it's a no brainer for us.

Given (in my potentially conflicted opinion) there is a nexus with the purchase of the drone, and the income obtained from quality marketing photos, does this seem rational?

I'm not going to lie and say we won't use it occasionally to clown around with, but the primary purpose of the purchase, and main use of the drone, will be for income earning activities. Lets say 90-10% split of business/personal.

Thanks!

the 'personal use' is about you getting proficiency in using it for business purposes right?
maybe even pay for professional lessons (if they exist) ;)

We got a DJI Quadcopter last week and I'm dying to use it on a couple of our development properties to work out views from each level.

I don't think we'll be claiming ours as a business expense though but I'll follow this thread with interest.

Westminster, DJI Phanton Vision is the one we are looking at.

They look amazing.

Yer it's not going to stop us buying it if it doesn't seem rational or fair to claim a portion of it, but certainly worth posing the question.

With a gopro on it the footage is AMAZING and so stable.

If I was a REA with rural/lifestyle blocks I'd buy one in a second to show off the properties for sale rather than dodgy googlemaps photos.

Personal use asset. Non-depreciable. Non-deductible. No $ threshold. Its still no. Ditto a boat. Hobbies etc. If its not used in a business its a no. And you cant invoice yourself either. Nice try.

One of the few personal use assets that can be deducted is "toys" for a sex worker.

Personal use asset. Non-depreciable. Non-deductible. No $ threshold. Its still no. Ditto a boat. Hobbies etc. If its not used in a business its a no. And you cant invoice yourself either. Nice try.

One of the few personal use assets that can be deducted is "toys" for a sex worker.

How can I prove I'm a sex worker?

Nice try.

Thanks Paul, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Given we technically are operating a property related business, paying GST etc, is this still the case?

The reason for this question is in response to "if it's not used in a business.." comment.

Thanks for your time!

With a gopro on it the footage is AMAZING and so stable.

If I was a REA with rural/lifestyle blocks I'd buy one in a second to show off the properties for sale rather than dodgy googlemaps photos.

I use Top Image for photography when selling property and just last week, Jeff got CASA approval to commercially operate a UAV as a Chief Controller. I believe the approval process cost him over $10,000 and he already was a licensed pilot prior to getting his approval. Let alone the purchase of the drone.

My mind boggles on just how creative we will be able to get when selling Rural properties, or golf course developments, high-rise apartments etc.

Sex workers and public servants can be hard to distinguish. One does you over for a job. The other is a professional. After the Sex worker finishes it's happy endings. After the govt t finishes they send a letter.. The Sex worker doesn't come back next year and ask for moreo

If you're serious about it get a Flamewheel F550 with a gimbal and a gopro camera from helipal.com about 2k all up. If you want to go commercial be prepared for some outlay. The insurance alone can be upto $7k. Find out more about the quals you'll need from here. http://www.uavsms.com.au
I was thinking of do it as a buisiness but having second thoughts now as the cost of getting certified are quite high. I might still have a go as a hobby though. The quality of the photography can be incredible.

Back