Dee Why vs Manly

Talk is that Dee Why property prices are starting to emulate the more expensive Manly next door.

Both have similar beachside demographics but Manly has always been ahead. But there are recently new residential / commercial developments around the Dee Why commercial precinct around Pittwater road.

Anybody got any ideas or input on this?

There are areas of Dee Why that are okay (beachside and up the hill towards Curl Curl)... the prices in Dee Why IMHO have been boosted largely to first home buyers desperate to get into the northern beaches market but with not much $$. The majority of Dee Why is units and prior to the FHB flocking there was an over supply of units from all the new developments. It is excpected that the new town square development will lift the imagine of the area, which has not been great. particularly the Pittwater Road shopping and questionables who hang out at the bus stop.

Manly has a better reputation and a wider variety of properties available... you dont feel like you are living in Unit town.

I live in Dee Why and have done for 6 years (originally from Newport) – yes there are a lot of units at Dee why but there are also a lot of units in Manly and Queenscliff. At least you can stand on Dee Why beach and see scenery (Long Reef), stand on Manly Beach and all you see is, well, units! :eek:

So do I feel like I am living in “Unit Town” – definitely not! But I am on beach side of Pittwater Road which I am sure does make a difference.

As an investor (not owner-occupier) and if I have to choose between the 2, I think I prefer Dee Why as I believe it has greater upside? Average apartment price for Dee Why and Manly are $417k and $580k, they both offer similar beach and local cafe/restaurant lifestyle although Manly has the ferry, quite a few more restaurants and shops along the beach and is slightly closer to CBD. What do you think??

Then again, Dee Why locals can say it's closer to Northern beaches / resort feel and living etc. There seems to be a spate of new residential and commercial projects at the Pittwater junction coming on stream in Dee Why.

Of course Manly has also been marketed as a tourist destination with the ferry cruises etc. I wonder if Manly rugby league club and its footy image has any bearing on the suburb and its property prices as a whole?

in my humble opinion now is a good time to get into dee why.. its the cheapest beachside suburb on the northern beaches and as the pittwater road shop strip gets uplifted and the new town centre gets built i reckon it will see some decent growth.. a good suburb to buy and hold for the long term as its only going to get nicer

Of course Manly has also been marketed as a tourist destination with the ferry cruises etc. I wonder if Manly rugby league club and its footy image has any bearing on the suburb and its property prices as a whole?

are you saying the sea eagles have positive or negative bearing on prices?? either way i think its a long bow to draw!!

Many vs Dee Why

Based on the recent median apartment prices published, Cromer and Newport are still slightly cheaper than Dee Why although we all know the limitations of relying on just the MP. Here's a list of all MPs. I do think Dee Why may be going through a gentrification over the next few years though.

http://wealthruproperty.com/Blog/?p=1105

Back