Defence Housing property investments

W

WebBoard

We are looking at purchasing our first investment property. Has anyone had experience with Defence Housing Australia.
We have heard only good things about purchasing and leasing back the property through them.
Can anyone give us any other insight or advice.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi A,

I have not dealt with them (more exactly, have not purchased), but based on information I have received from them the management fees are quite hefty and you pay in the original purchase price for the longevity of the lease. After reviewing their information I personally decided not to go with them, in spite of the long term lease as well as the refurbishment of the property at the end of the lease period.

Tibor

Reply: 2

Try searching with topic DHA.
There are 60 references.

Cheers Stirling

Reply: 3

Hello A,

This topic has been discussed on the forum numerous times. If you go through the Property Investor Archive (or search the topic) you'll find plenty of reading.

In summary however peoples opinions seem to be that they offer a no worries type service (do most things for you) and have the security of long term leases, reliable tenants, property management taken care of, market value rent with no vacancy periods. All sounds pretty good up front but you pay a premium for it. From what other people have had to say I believe their management fees are fairly high, and you'll probably pay more for the house up front (purchase price) if you buy through them than if you buy yourself (provided of course you did some research and negotiated successfully).

So if your prepared to pay a bit more for a low maintenance / low stress investment then it might be something to consider. Do your sums though. Also keep in mind that you can lease to them direct. I don't know the exact conditions of the lease, but if you buy a suitable residence in their allocated areas you can lease directly to them after purchase. Depending on the benefits of this lease agreement the money saved on purchase might make it a better option? Just some thoughts for you.

Good luck.
MF

Reply: 3.1

Crappy deals for lazy investors.

Reply: 3.1.1

Hey, fair go.

Safe deals for first time investors. Nothing crappy about guaranteed tenants for nine years, and then a reno at the end.

There's better deals about when you have the experience- but it's a good first step. And a lot safer than some first steps.

The only qualification that I would add is- choose in an area where there's not much vacant land. Returns might be smaller, but capital growth might be better.

Reply: 3.1.1.1

I'm sorry but I never answer anonymous posts that compliment a marketing company.
<p>
We have heard only good things about purchasing and leasing back the property through them.
<p>
It smacks of a setup and close to spamming. I've seen too many of these over the years to draw any other conclusion. To use a police term - same M.O.

However, I won't stoop to childishly posting back anonymously saying that they are crap just to balance the ledger, tempting as it is.

Geoff you said:

There's better deals about when you have the experience.

Geoff, there's better deals about even when you DON'T have the experience. I would use the services of professional negotiators and buyers such as Flippers, Buyers Agents and Property Buyers Network before I bought a Defence property.

Reply: 3.1.1.1.1

There are plenty of experienced investors on this forum to give advice, than buying extremely neg geared property from DH. I've seen there brochures and the returns are laughable.

Back