Definitions of Unit/Flat/Duplex/Apartment

W

WebBoard

G'day all

A short while ago I thought that I saw a thread started on the definitions of a unit/flat/duplex etc and whilst I have done a search, I haven't been able to find anything.

Can anyone remember this thread as I am interested to find out the differences etc.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Peter,

Perhaps you are referring to a thread called SEX in Property which didn't get many responses.

http://bne003w.server-web.com/~wb013/read?121451,30e#121451

For what it's worth, here's some definitions:

terrace house : means a dwelling in a row of four or more attached dwellings each of which:

(a) addresses the street, and
(b) has a similar setback from the street to each other of the dwellings, and
(c) has a separate entrance door accessible to the street, and
(d) has a rear private outdoor courtyard area that is at the same or a similar level to a floor level of the dwelling and is immediately accessible from the dwelling, and
(e) has the type and character of a dwelling that is commonly referred to as a terrace house.

townhouse : means one of a group of three or more two-storey dwellings, which:

may or may not be attached,
on a single allotment or on adjoining allotments that comprise a single site, where:
(a) each dwelling has a separate entrance door accessible from an outside area and a private outdoor courtyard area, and
(b) at a level the same as, or similar to, the floor level of the dwelling.

villa : means one of a group of three or more single-storey dwellings, which:

may or may not be attached,
on a single allotment or on adjoining allotments that comprise a single site, where:
(a) each dwelling has a separate entrance door accessible from an outside area and a private outdoor courtyard area, and
(b) the floor level of the dwelling is no more than 1.2 metres above natural ground level, with only garages and non-habitable rooms below that floor level.

Apartment - Also called flat or unit.

Cluster House - Small group of free standing homes with common driveways and possibly facilities such as pool or tennis court. May include a security gate at the entrance of the estate.

Duplex - Two freestanding houses on one block of land. May be single level or two story. Normally share a driveway.

House - free standing house on a single block of land.

Semi-detached - Two or more properties sharing one common wall.

Townhouse - Two or more two storey properties sharing a common wall. Normally includes living areas downstairs and bedroom upstairs.

Villa Home - May be one or two, two storey homes in a complex. Normally properties have at least one shared wall. This style of property is very similar to semi-detached.

Regards, Mike

Reply: 2

In addition to Mike's comments, there certainly is regional difference in interpreting some of these terms. For instance, in Sydney "Duplex" usually means a dual occupancy when each of the 2 occupies the whole floor of a 2-storey building. Each half of a house vertically divided into 2 occupancies (with a common wall) is called a "Semi". Also, some real estate agents advertise a property as a "home", which of course is not the same as a "house" and can be a townhouse or a villa or anything else - confusing for some less experienced buyers. Some RE agents tend to overstate the type of the property they sell calling a top-floor unit a "penthouse" and the one below a "sub-penthouse", when a "penthouse" is in fact an apartment occupying the whole top floor of a building. I am sure other forum members may come up with more examples of this.

Say cheese,

Lotana

Back