Demands from a prospective tenant

We received a very unusual call in our office today and this was the first time we have ever experienced this.

A prospective tenant called today about one of the properties we have on the market and asked if she could look through.

I was with a client at that time and one of my assistants picked up the phone and invited the tenant to the open inspection we had at 5:30pm.

The tenant screamed "no I want to look through right now"
My assistant explained that the "senior property manager is in a meeting, I will ask her to call you and see if she is able to arrange another time"

The tenant demanded "I don't care where she is and what she is doing, housing trust told me that I have priority over other tenants because my property is damaged and I need to look through right now"

I would not allow my meeting with a client to be disturbed so my PA handled it as well as possible and this person eventually hanged up the phone.

She then proceeded to call my phone 7 times while I was in a meeting for 1 hour!

I texted her an open inspection time again and she rang the office again and said "you guys just don't understand that I have to take priority"

We already have 3 applications on this particular property, so we don't even need another one, however even if we had none, how could someone not realise that acting in such a ridiculous manner would result in an agency NOT recommending her application to an owner!

No landlord would even consider her as she is showing that she is a nightmare even before she begins!

What do you make of this? Anyone had anything similar?
This was bizarre!!!

A few years ago (back in the boom time) I was tiling and painting a series of chutes for a client. Out of nowhere I got a very irrate call from the principle contracter (about 3 up from me).

He was ranting and raving on the phone in such a way that I thought I could nearly feel the spittle coming through his mouthpiece and into my ear! :eek: Absolutely chewing my ring out about 4 chutes that were to be delivered to site a few days ago.

So after he actually let me get a word in, I calmly asked what chutes he was looking for. He gave me the asset numbers and I proceeded to stop my whole shed operation and asked all my guys to check and double check exactly which chutes we had done, or were in progress. None of my corresponding asset numbers matched up. Odd.

Turns out, the fabricator told the principle contractor the chutes were 'always being held up by the tiler/painter' because it is easier to lay the blame with the final contractor before shipment - which is us. So guess where the chutes were? Still in pieces on the fabricators floor not even tacked together yet!

I remember it clearly for 2 reasons. First, Ive rarely heard such anger on the other side of a phonecall. So unprofessional, but I dont think that mattered. Secondly, I made an absolute motza out of the job because once they were made we had to go to site and tile and paint them in situe - about 3x the cost with very little overhead. :D

pinkboy

She must have been reading How to Lose Friends & Alienate People. Get your PA to get her contact details and send her a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People ;)

I something similar but not even remotely the same. One realestate agent signed up a tenant without my approval. Over the course of three days the tenant proceeded to call me four times, including once at 8 PM, to pick arguments with me about the asbestos fence and about how to pay the rent! :eek:

I had the lease agreement cancelled. But yeah, this woman has no idea that her antics mean she won't get a look in. I know my agents are very honest with me about what has occured with any prospective tenants. It sure helps with my decision making and so far all of the tenants they have helped me select have been awesome! :)

We just had an application from someone for one of our properties - it was the only application but she was apparently rude to the PM on the phone - so needless to say her application landed in the bin. Don't need difficult tenants.

Maybe its the LL testing you out.

Ha ha ha - that was quite a test, hope I met her expectations.

The LL had a good laugh and her instructions are to "if this person submits an application - shred it"

I think my PA would do that with pleasure - poor thing coped an earful today!

We just had an application from someone for one of our properties - it was the only application but she was apparently rude to the PM on the phone - so needless to say her application landed in the bin. Don't need difficult tenants.

It's like a first date - supposedly people are on their best behaviour. If best behaviour is rude it does not set a good expectation for when they are relaxed enough to show their real personality!

She must have been reading How to Lose Friends & Alienate People. Get your PA to get her contact details and send her a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People ;)

:)

I know - poor lady will alienate every PM and although she seemed desperate for a property this is definitely not the way to achieve it.

I simply cannot believe that you didn't drop everything to pacify a prospect.

The prospect that you turn away today is the LL that won't contact you tomorrow.

Interesting though that she did not turn up to the scheduled open inspection that was only 2 hours after the time she demanded.

I was kind of looking forward to meeting the crazy lady - I was looking for someone who was going to walk in cracking a whip!

Because I like you , and because you're such high priority , I happen to have an Elizabeth vacancy at $1000 per week, just for you.

I had a similar conversation last year.
by the end of the phone call, I simply stated the rental was not available to him, said good-bye and hung up.

A few years back, this middle aged couple looked at one of our houses.
It is a basic 4 bed, 2 bath house, and the rent reflects it.
They started saying they would only move in if xxx,yyy, zzz etc was done...and they weren't polite at all.
We actually looked at each other and rolled our eyes.
Rob simply said to them "goodbye, it is not available to you"

They were actually dumbfounded !!!

I guess people think they don't need to qualify, via application.

I love the refusal face not-tenants get, gobsmacked

Housing trust: the welfare mentality rides again
she may be more important to Housing Trust, or, maybe they just wanted her out of their office

when I last looked, welfare recipients were not high on any list.

File 13

put them in a queue a long way away, Far Queue
they have a cold a long way away, Far Cough
on a water way a long way away, Far Canal
etc etc etc

what a great country we live in,

proud to be on welfare, and think they are above non welfare recipients

I love this country! :p:p

Last edited:
Wow sounds like a terrible and worrisome call. Glad to see that your PA could handle it. Don't need people like that as clients.

Back