Demolition Yards

Surprising source of good timber ! And other items !

Look out Bunnings !

I had to buy a stack of step treads.. Bunnings was $32m

Demolition Yard .. $10 each ! Great condition .. Trimmed to size and away we go!

Anyway, just sharing as I had never considered these before as a source of good quality timber at low prices.

Which demo yard did you go to? I've been trying to find some weird stuff (particularly 97x22mm pine chamferboards) and haven't had any luck :( I need a step tread too!

It really depends on the yard. I have found the local one in underwood QLD to be quite good in regards to timber and steel and really dear for items eg, shower recesses, toilets, etc. Frequently their second hand prices for items are above or near the new price.

For those in Geelong, Bernie Leen generally has a good reputation and prices. Even on the new stuff they sell, they've beaten Bunnings a number of times.

DeYoungs Salvage, Seaford, SA

We buy bits n pieces at DeYoungs, Seaford, SA. Old timber skirtings and architraves to match 1968 stuff, bits of floor board to fix holes when redoing kitchens, fireplaces, etc.

Cheap fencing, window winders, sliding doors, facia timber, stormwater pipe, steel, 2nd hand kitchens, door fittings, tiles, kitchen bench tops.

When you start thinking about it we buy a lot of stuff at the salvage yard.

BUT, you can still find brand new stuff cheaper on sale at hardware stores. So don't think everything is cheaper from salvage yard, you have to know what it costs new and don't forget to ask for a discount.

Have bought door handles from cheap $2 shops before, paid $4.95 - $7.95 for new brushed silver internal door handles. Have bought light fittings for $4.95 from hardware store, just the whilte glass globe ones with silver base that fits over batten fitting.

Cheers
Graeme

True it's not all good, but you can go for a deal I guess...

I have found some great deals at Bunnings, door handles $10 set,

Porcelane toilet for $150 ! Light fitting for $8..

So it's horses for courses I guess... The real trick is knowing what to buy where..

I use my iPhone and take pics of the items I'm looking for with the prices showing and keep a running record.. It works for me.

I've even used this with the price guarantee that everyone goes on about .. Sometimes it's worth it... Little stuff not so much...

The other thing I do is take pics when I measure items like windows, doors, tiles, etc... I always forget the exact size .. However there it is in a pic with the tape measure showing the exact size ! Works every time !

Back