deposit bonds....aarrrrggghhhh

Reply: 6.1.2.2

Now hangon everyone... I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here.

Just because some (or many) of us here agree with the fundamentals promoted by the likes of Kiyosaki and Burley, does mean that this is right for everyone.

For example, buying a house to occupy yourself rather than renting and buying investment property. Just because it may make more financial "sense" to do so, doesn't mean that you should. There are many other factors to consider.

For example just because Kiyosaki and Burley implore you to never buy negatively geared property, doesn't mean that you will rot in hell if you buy a negatively geared property. Indeed the majority of property in Australia is almost impossible to purchase on 100% finance and be cashflow positive on the long term average interest rate of 10% (is easier on < 6% rates !).

For example, just because it may make more financial sense for someone to buy a second hand car than a new one, doesn't make it the best path for them. There are other factors to consider.

For example, just because some people consider their sole goal with their investments is to make as much money as they possibly can, doesn't mean that this is also the goal of everyone else.

I don't believe that this is the "get stupendously rich" discussion forum. I also don't believe that this is the "we do things the RIGHT way, and you don't so we're better than you" forum. This is not a criticism of other people's choices or their current strategies forum. This is a PROPERTY INVESTMENT discussion forum, where we share ideas about property.

I do not believe it is a question of maturity (and certainly I believe some responses here have been rather immature !), as maturity is not something that can be taught. It must be learned, and is learned only through experience. Critising someone's decisions at whatever age serves little purpose to anyone.

You can make suggestions that there may be a better way, but I think it would be better to respect their point of view and maybe take the humble approach in that YOU ARE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT - especially when it comes to what OTHER people should be doing.

One thing I have learned from one of the more respected members of this forum is in the way they handle discussions about other people's strategies.

It's never "oh, no... you shouldn't do that... that's just wrong... you have to do it this way...".

It's always "why do you want to do it that way", "do you think there might be a better way ?", perhaps even "can I make a suggestion ?", "at the end of the day, you have to make your own decisions and do what you feel is best".

I've found that to be a very refreshing and ego-less attitude, and one I wish some more people would adopt at times.

So I think we should all stop critising people ! (hmm... was that too critical of me ?)

Please note that this was just a general whinge and not directed at anyone in particular !

*This has been a friendly service from the forum conscience police*

;-)

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 6.1.2.2.1

Sim,

But over spending on nice doodads will not get you there either. I don't believe there is an easy way of achieving financial freedom other than saving up and invest it in items that appreciates in value.

I guess it all depends on how soon you wish to achieve your goals.

Regards
yuchun
~ The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching. ~

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1

Who says the goal has to be "financial freedom" ?

We know that the fastest way to financial freedom involves a lot of sacrifice now, for greater benefit in the future.

Why does everyone have to choose that path ? We have one of the best social security systems in the world, and with our compulsory superannuation schemes, most 21 year olds with regular full time work over the next 44 years of their life should accumulate enough to live on when they retire - even if not as comfortably as those who scrimped and saved to invest.

If someone chooses not to make those sacrifices that a lot of the rest of us make, and accepts the consequences, then isn't that still acceptable ?

Everything we strive for is about freedom, whether it be financial freedom, or simply freedom of choice. Choosing to enjoy your life when young is not a crime.

Yes, they may well then regret their decisions in the future if their direction changes, but I suggest that it is not our place to tell them what they must or must not do.

Assuming that everyone here has exactly the same goals in life is very ignorant, I feel. And especially life is not all about making money - at least not to many people. Money is merely a tool which allows you to do things or have other people do things for you. Having more of it does not necessarily get you any closer to achieving your goals. It all depends on the individual.

Let us respect the rights of the individual to choose their own path and destination.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1

Yes, we do have the best social security in the world, but what makes you think that the pension is still gonna be there 20 years down the track? And why do you think the government is forcing us to save up via superannuation?

My point is, there is nothing wrong with enjoying life but never get into too much bad debt just for the sake of enjoying a good life. Once you've formed a bad spending habit, it will be very difficult to change it as you get older.

Regards
yuchun
~ The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching. ~

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1

Oh... we're talking about bad debt now are we ?

Bad debt is evil and must be destroyed !!!!!!

Right there with ya on this one Yuch ;-)

I will say that debt taken on to buy a car is bad debt, but I do call it "often necessary" debt. Of course, the type of car we choose to buy and how much it costs us will have a huge impact on what money we have for other things in our lives including investing.

But then, I've always been more interested in spending money on my computers than on cars... so I've had it easy - they still cost way less than cars do !

Interestingly enough though, I've just done a report in Quicken which indicated that over the last 7 years (until the end of 2001), I have spent almost as much on my computers (all hardware, software and peripherals) as I have on our car (including rego, servicing, insurance, petrol and so on - but not purchase, we bought new but paid it off very soon after buying it). Hmm... don't let my wife see this ! Admittedly, we don't drive all that much and generally take public transport to work - I'm sure most people would spend WAY more on running their cars than we do.

sim.gif

Last edited:
Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1

JOO JOO

You must do what Yuchen says. Joke :).

What about trying to turn your potential 'bad' debt into semi good debt. Try to make your car a tax deductible item. Tie it into your business somehow. You might be able to do this with clothes bit too, and other doodads as well. Eg. give your staff (=yourself) xmas presents, sales employee of the month awards etc.

But really, the longer you can hold off on that car the better,

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.1

"Life is a journey... not a destination."
I guess its all about balance; my wife constantly reminds me I could be dead by the time I get to enjoy this IP wealth...live a little along the way.

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2

Guys,

I believe in what Sim is saying. Life is all about achieving goals and dreams, whatever they may be. Goals are incredibly individual things and that what makes them more special.

From what I have found, the more monetary value is placed on your goals the easier they are to plan for. Monetary goals also have a habit of sharpening focus on investments.

Joo Joo, I am a little concerned however. It seems that you are having trouble getting the money for everything (having to borrow money etc from parents) there is a reason for this. If you cannot get the funding for the car or cannot afford to pay for it from your savings, someone is trying to tell you something.You probably cannot afford it.

I know of a solicitor who decided that he could not be seen driving a commodore as solicitors do not drive commodores. He went out and purchased a brand new Mercedes SLK Convertable and is now stuck with a car that is costing him over $40,000 a year to keep. He only earns around 90k as well.

All I can say is be careful, every day of my life I see people our age in serious trouble simply because they get on the merry go round that is life. My advice is slow down and take a breather. Life is not a race, we are young and we have a lot of life left to live, don't drown yourself in debt at such a young age.

Remember, if you are having money troubles buying another property or other investments or simply having more money will not fix them, good money management is the key to a successful investment strategy, if you are a bad manager of your money now, then you will be a bad manager of money when you have your millions.

Take care and happy investing

Rick

deposit bonds/stupid posts....aarrrrggghhhh

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1

I cant believe that I am even replying to these pathetic posts (not urs rick). Thankyou to all of those who seem to have some intelligence and have supported my decision.....Anon, Sim, JD, Rick and the others before Asyral and Yuch C's posts.

-----------

Asyral, Lack of maturity hmmm, why? because i like to enjoy my life at 21 (just turned last week). I am in my final year in telecommunications engineering in one of the best universities in the world, I am employed as an engineer, I run a successful business, I own one property, the second over the next few weeks, the list goes on. I am not boasting, merely displaying my immaturity. If you had read my previous posts in detail, you would have understood that i am in control and can manage any debts that i possess.

In regards to the religious mention, i regret that i included this, i was asking an investing question but this turned into a personal discussion which i thought i could conduct with intelligent adults. You proved me wrong, thankyou for pointing out that i do not preach what i profess, because you really know me to say something like that, charity huh, how would you know what i do. Judging me, wow, what a hypocrite. Thankyou for your ignorant reply other than offensive, it was truly enlightening and helped answer my question. I am male, how about you?

--------------

Yuch c, apparently you are also illiterate, if you had only read my posts rather than attempt to be a superstar you would have noted that i have already began investing. That too was a very informative post, i admire your wisdom 'What about you go and enjoy your nice car and wardrobe, and come back when you are ready', pathetic. How old are you? Ok oh wise investment guru, tell me why the sarcastic comments, by the sounds of it you have been in the game for a while, are you to tell me that i am the first to tell you that while i invest i want to enjoy my life, strange person. Now your second message was a little better, but you still haven't understood my situation properly, and i'm sure after this message you wouldnt care.

I would really appreciate it if i ever ask another question on this forum that i would not receive the ignorance relayed in some of these replies. I really do thank those of you who understand that there are different approaches to life and those who provided me with technical solutions to my questions.

frustrated, amazed, yet somehow still laughing
joojoo (he)

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1

Hi Joo Joo,

May be you can borrow money from your parents ($30K?), secure Deposit Bond (for the next IP), while you are waiting for that IP to be completed give money back to your parents, hold on to that deposit bond and buy your self a new car (this what deposit bond is there for – paying just few hundreds of dollars to get it allows you to use your deposit else where, make your money work harder), once property is completed and ready to be settled (this where you have come with full deposit as you “promised” to the deposit bond issuer) refinance your first IP to get more equity out of it and then use that "freshly squizzed" equity to replace your original deposit you borrowed from your parents on the first place.

Looks like you need a good broker. Sorry I'm not the one.

But anyway good luck to you.
Let us know how did you go.

Serge.

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1

Sergey mate,

you are a true genius. This was why all this discussion started, that is exactly what i wanted to do. I might not have been clear enough in my post, but no-one knew if i could do this, I rang frank, he said it was ok. I am so relieved, sell existing car, refinance existing property to get more equity, find otp property, borrow 30k or whatever off parents, attain pre-approval for otp, attain deposit bond, organise finance for the peugeot, return 30k to parents, pay off car and existing property, onsell otp a month before settlement. I may be a little in liability by the time settlement comes, but that way i have made a bit of money and have greatly reduced the cost of my superficial needs. Perfect.

I saw your reply and was awaiting another verbal conflict, but it turns out you have got it spot on.

big smile
joojoo

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.1

JooJoo,
Congrats on finding a solution to your problem - enjoy the car mate! But you might want to tread carefully re: the OTP. Are you quite sure you'll be able to on-sell it? If not, can you afford to keep it? This is the same situation (so I've heard) that has left quite a few HK disciples in a lot of trouble. The word bankruptcy came up a few times here. Not saying don't go for it, just be careful, and good luck to ya!

Mark
'no hat, some cattle'

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.1.1.2

Joo Joo
many summers ago I learnt there were four side of life and having read all the aggravation you may have caused, maybe there is a lack of understanding from some members of the forum in regards to the other three sides of the coin. I have enjoyed my life and in the main have no regrets. Still there is always something at the other end you think you may have been able to do better. Hindsight is probably the most expensive to get, yet the easiest to obtain. You have to wait until the task is finished before you receive it. Go for it and don't worry what others think. One day you will find out the rights and the wrongs of what you did.

[email protected]

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.2

Gerry Harvey (billionaire) drives a Commodore (and not the latest model
either)!
----- Original Message -----
To: <Recipients of 'propertyforum' suppressed>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 10:37 PM
Subject: deposit bonds....aarrrrggghhhh

> From: "Rick Gibson" <[email protected]>
>
> Guys,
>
> I believe in what Sim is saying. Life is all about achieving goals and
dreams, whatever they may be. Goals are incredibly individual things and
that what makes them more special.
>
> From what I have found, the more monetary value is placed on your goals
the easier they are to plan for. Monetary goals also have a habit of
sharpening focus on investments.
>
> Joo Joo, I am a little concerned however. It seems that you are having
trouble getting the money for everything (having to borrow money etc from
parents) there is a reason for this. If you cannot get the funding for the
car or cannot afford to pay for it from your savings, someone is trying to
tell you something.You probably cannot afford it.
>
> I know of a solicitor who decided that he could not be seen driving a
commodore as solicitors do not drive commodores. He went out and purchased a
brand new Mercedes SLK Convertable and is now stuck with a car that is
costing him over $40,000 a year to keep. He only earns around 90k as well.
>
> All I can say is be careful, every day of my life I see people our age in
serious trouble simply because they get on the merry go round that is life.
My advice is slow down and take a breather. Life is not a race, we are young
and we have a lot of life left to live, don't drown yourself in debt at such
a young age.
>
> Remember, if you are having money troubles buying another property or
other investments or simply having more money will not fix them, good money
management is the key to a successful investment strategy, if you are a bad
manager of your money now, then you will be a bad manager of money when you
have your millions.
>
> Take care and happy investing
>
> Rick
>
>
>
> To reply: mailto:p[email protected]
> To start a new topic: mailto:p[email protected]
> To login: http://bne003w.webcentral.com.au:80/~wb013
>
>

Reply: 7

Hi

Gosh some people on this forum need to get off their high horses! What we should really be doing is congratulating Joo Joo on purchasing 2 investment properties at the age of 21. Come on everyone what were YOU doing at 21 years old. I'm sure it wasn't investing and I'm sure you DIDN'T have 2 properties then. Because if that was the case, you'd probably be on your yacht in the south of France retired forever comfortably!

What I am saying is live and let live! If Joo Joo is making an expensive error, this will surely lead to the inevitable hindsight and regrets; but I'm sure Joo Joo will recover and come back bigger and better from the experience. Experience after leads to maturity. So stop looking at the negative aspects and focus on the positive; there is no wrong or right way to achieve your goals whatever they are; just YOUR way.

So Joo Joo; all the best mate, I wish at the age of 21, I had been in your situation and had done so much. (I'm now 32)

All the best

David U

Reply: 7.1

Thanks guys.

I am aware that there is a risk involved and it may not seem like the smartest approach to life, but i truly have done the number crunching and i truly can handle it. Contrary to the beliefs of some of you out there, I am not so stupid as to go out and place myself in a pool of debt that i cannot come out of, who would? There are obviously details which i have not included in my post which will support my strategies, and i just wish rather than jumping to conclusions and gunning me down after reading about my spending habits, you would ask me about more details of my situation and maybe it would not seem so absurd. However i do know that the 55k on the car and the 15k in my wardrobe would be much safer and beneficial in my pocket and I am not at all conflicting with this, but i like taking risks and like all say, if it burns me then i'll learn.

I really do appreciate the support of you guys, and for those who have warned me about debt, I am hearing you and know you are right, i suppose i just have to find a strategy to balance 'all four sides of the coin".

learn, learn, live, learn
joojoo

Reply: 7.1.1

Hi Joo Joo

It's great to see you know where you are walking in life, some only live day to day. And if you fall over I hope that you learn why and what happened and come back better then last time.

To my mind, we all make our own choices in life and they are our choices, it's what makes us different from each other.

Besides, we all pay for our education, it's just a matter of how much.

Cheers
Robert

The Sydney "Freestylers" Group Leader.

Reply: 7.1.2

JooJoo,

Good on you for having the guts to spell out your situation and your intentions on your first post. As long as you understand your risk, and have attempted to minimise it as much as possible in what you're trying to do - go for it.

Damn, when I was 21, IP's were the LAST thing on my mind. I'm 29 now and only started thinking about property 4 years ago. You're already working on your portfolio, so good for you. As to wanting some 'luxuries', there's nothing wrong with that either. We all need to reward ourselves every now and then, especially when we achieve a long awaited goal. Get yourself the car, mate...if that's what makes you happy . Sure, there may be wiser ways to use this tax-free equity, but that's your call, not anyone's else's. Well done on getting to the position where you CAN choose what to do with it.

As for comments about your maturity and readiness to invest...ignore them and keep moving forward toward a goal. You'll find that some of the greatest knockers in life will be from those who are far smaller than you are, but have managed to portray themselves as great achievers..when really they have no substance. Their realisation of this is what causes them to shoot arrows at others in the first place.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Dave
:)

P.S For the record, if my heart wasn't really really set on the $50K car, I'd buy 4 properties with it instead.

Re: deposit bonds/stupid posts....aarrrrggghhhh

Reply: 6.1.2.2.1.1.1.1.1.2.1.2

Hi Joo Joo,

I have read all the posts connected to your original requests and I would
have to agree with Asy and Yuch (Sim and Rick made good points too). Your
acceptance of those who support you and attack on those who don't shows
immaturity despite your business and investment success to date. You blew
the immaturity debate with your juvenile reply. Sorry but I suppose I will
be attacked now because I said something disagreeable to you too.

Terry

Reply: 7.1.2.1

I've just taken a new tack on cars. I always
had second hand and paid cash, ran
them into the ground (or had people write
them off for me given that I wasn't
permanently disabled for life) and got a
little boost from the insurance. I did this
because of the old adage that it is better
to pay cash. Certainly in your youth when
equity is low I think this is the way to go.
Unfortunately, seven or eight years down
the track, I had a car that was worth
nothing and had to come up with another
20-30K lump sum. Bummer.

Now, with rising equity in the properties, I
had the option of using an equity loan to
pay cash - cheap at 5.47% but , horror,
this uses valuable equity which could
purchase a $200 k property. In Sydney, a
200K property is worth roughly 15-20K a
year to me in capital growth so I have
opted to keep the equity, get finance for