Depreciation on improvements?

Hi there!

I have a question regarding depreciation. I am currently living in my first house in order to claim the FHOG. Next year I am looking to rent it out and move into rented accomodation myself. In the meantime I have to replace a few things such as toilet, bathroom basin and taps, lino on kitchen floor, rusted gutters etc as the house is about 20 years old. The question is - can I then depreciate these and claim it on tax? They are necessary maintenance rather than improvements.

Any help would be much appreciated


yes, you can and to do so properly you will need to ask a Quantity Surveyor to provide you with a tax depreciation schedule which will show the costs of these items and how much depreciation you can claim.

Good luck