Deprediation of building cost

W

WebBoard

I am in the process of purchasing my first investment property. I will be the 2nd owner of the property, which is a unit in a block built in 1996.
If the first owner of the property has not been depreciating the building cost of the unit since 1996, can I start to depreciate the cost when I have completed the purchase?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Derek

No, you cannot. You will need to organise a Quantity Surveyors report and they will identify what costs you can depreciate for tax purposes.

Congrats on the IP. That's great!

Dale

Reply: 1.1

It would be nice to do !!!

However our friends at the ATO might ask you to join them for a coffee and a brief chat.

However there will be some depreciation in there somewhere for you.

Contact a good quantity surveyor

There are threads in here about "quantity" surveyors.

I have the names of some very reputable companies. So if you e-mail me I will supply them to you

Mark Pardi

Property Buyers Network NSW

Reply: 1.2

Thanks for the reply.

I have received a depreciation schedule from the vendor that mentions carpets/blinds/flyscreens and other fittings and also share of common depreciable s (such as the car park).

However, it makes no mention of depreciating the building cost.

Would such a survey as you mention allow me to start depreciating the building cost with using a value that the surveyor estimates?

Thanks for your help.

Reply: 1.2.1

Hi

Yes, it will.

Does the vendors statement refer to "Capital Works" or "Division 10D claims" or, for that matter, any large amounts depreciated at 2.5%pa? If so, that is the building.

Dale

Reply: 1.2.1.1

An accurate and professional QS will provide you with all the information regarding all potential deductions

Mark Pardi

Property Buyers Network

Back