design of one bedroom units

What are peoples thoughts on the following in terms of one bedroom units
-Open plan living vs seperate kitchen room
-Balcony (ie. how much extra would this add to a property in terms of $$)
-City views from inside apartment compared to city views from balcony
Note both would be over 50m2

Zip

See comparable sales of 1brm with Vs 1brm without

Zip

Apart from the balcony or lack thereof, you are over-analysing IMO.

Open plan is better - makes it look more spacious. Balcony is handy as well.

All these are the sort of things that are great if you can get them but aren't worth paying a huge amount for. A balcony implies some elevation which is good for views but can be less convenient than a ground floor (can be cold and miserable but easier moving furniture in/out and may have a garden).

Depends on how big the balcony is - if it's big enough to hold table and chairs it's like an added room. Space, even it's a bit illusionary, is what you want in a 1 BR.

If the balcony is a stupid little 1 metre width thing, forget it.

I'm a sucker for outdoor living areas and have always paid dearly for decks, patios, balconies, courtyards.. whereever the outside is.

Open plan no doubt about that. Balcony with view but must be big enough for at least dining seating for 2 and small bbq.....I would have oxxo sliding doors or bifold doors from living area to balcony to create flow and feeling of spaciousness.
JASA

The balcony is around 4 meters (long) by 1.5 meters, not sure if that's big enough for table and chairs, probably not. Would no balcony on a top floor apartment be a major turn off to most people on here

The balcony is around 4 meters (long) by 1.5 meters, not sure if that's big enough for table and chairs, probably not. Would no balcony on a top floor apartment be a major turn off to most people on here

Yes definately. I work 4 hours a week in a real estate office and a common request by tenants is a balcony/courtyard. 4m x 1.5m isn't huge, but at least it's somewhere to go for some air and you'd fit a small table with a couple of chairs on it.

I call them smokers balconies as they seriously can't fit much more than a table and two chairs comfortably. It's a pity so many builders got it wrong in the 70's-80's with many of these complexes, preferring to treat outdoor spaces as add-ons rather than true entertaining areas. Finding a large balcony in one of these buildings is a treasure, hence the reason buyers will pay more for them.

Question out of left field, what would people prefer in order of top to low priority
- Open plan kitchen
- Balcony
- Laundry facilities within unit (as opposed to communal)

For me personally if I was living in it:
1. Laundry
2. Balcony
3. Open plan

You are choosing between two apartments aren't you? Just buy one already! :)

For a 1bedder ->
When I was searching for a rental one bedroom.

Balcony or perceived 'escape' from four walls
Laundry
Open plan kitchen

Most one bedders I saw the kitchen was 'part of the lounge' it was horrid.

Most one bedders I saw the kitchen was 'part of the lounge' it was horrid.

I agree, I pressume you are talking about the ones where the kitchen is along one wall and it's COMPLETELY open. I hate that myself. I recently bought a one bedroom apartment and would only go with one that had a 'full kitchen'. It's still open plan living (kitchen isn't separated by a wall), but where kitchen benches go right around to enclose it.

Yeah those ones Biggle... it's awful!

My friend lived in an apartment with them. Open plan and large space my butt. It's called no bench space to do anything.

Then again, I'm one of those tenants that cooked in the apartment. I'm guessing a mod con wham bam bachelor pad style apartment will only be used to hold wine bottles or cocktail glasses at parties.

I would value a carbay (assuming you are in CBD) attached to the unit above all else....

About the only thing you get that will differentiate yourself from the hundreds of other dogboxes if you ever planned to sell.

Back