design software?

Can anyone recommend any good design/renovation software?

This one seems to be popular. Any recommendations?

thanks

http://home-design-software-review.toptenreviews.com/home-designer-suite-review.html

Heres the list of what it claims it can do:

Home Design

Home Designer Suite makes it easy to design and visualize your ideas with smart building and powerful design tools. The tools have commonly accepted defaults for most building practices to assist you in your home design projects.
•Choose from built-in home style templates, create your own custom home design
•Use the House Assistant to space plan your rooms and room layout
•Design in 2D and 3D or both simultaneously
•Choose from over 6,000 library items or download free bonus items to customize your design
•Choose from Final View, Glass House, Doll House, Night Views and Elevations to see your design from every point of view
•Use powerful building tools like automatic roof generation, dormers, stairs, framing, foundations, dimensions and terrain

Remodeling

Home Designer can help you plan, visualize, and estimate the costs before you begin your project. Create a new room or addition to your home, remodel your kitchen or bath, and visualize floor and space planning.
•Move a wall, change a color, add a room, redesign a kitchen and estimate the costs – all before you remodel
•Create a new room or addition- add and remove walls, place windows and doors and size your rooms with dimensions
•Change your colors, countertops, finishes and flooring styles with Material Painter?
•Move or resize walls by clicking on the wall and moving or entering a precise dimension
•Import plans from the free Chief Architect Room Planner mobile App

Kitchens & Baths

Create thousands of cabinet combinations, change your countertop material, add appliances and fixtures, create custom colors and materials, and more!
•Choose from over 1,000 cabinet combinations
•Plan the new layout of your bathroom with custom cabinets, sinks, showers and garden tubs
•Choose from a wide variety of appliance styles for your kitchen
•Choose from several floor types such as hardwood, stone, tile or carpeting
•Import your own favorite objects, materials, colors or textures from a photo or website
•Use the Color Blending tool to stain a translucent color or apply a solid colors

Interior Design

Give your home the look and feel you want - choose from thousands of styles, colors, flooring and materials. Design and decorate your living, dining, kitchen, kid’s rooms or master bedroom.
•Place name brand products in your design including: Cultured Stone, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Behr Paints, Viking Appliances, and more
•Drag-and-drop from thousands of design objects in the built-in Library organized by category
•Choose from a variety of interior items – including chairs, tables, sofas, fabrics and accessories. Resize and change colors and materials
•Quickly place and arrange walls, windows, doors, cabinets, choose colors and accessories
•Turn lights off and on in your design with a single click Material Painter? allows you to change the color and material of any object in your design- cabinets, countertops, walls and flooring

Landscape & Deck

Create beautiful landscapes, terrain features, gardens and decks for your perfect outdoor living spaces!
•Powerful deck and patio tools allow you to design and visualize your new deck with 3D models and can help you estimate the costs
•Design straight, curved, single level or multi-level decks
•Use Automatic Build Terrain and Terrain Perimeter tools to create flat, irregular shaped or sloped lots – use a GPS to import elevation data
•Choose from over 1,500 plants with the Plant Chooser™
•Use the Plant Encyclopedia to learn more about the plants in your designs

Sketchup is on my list to learn.

I've been doodling for years in Macintosh Live Interior 3D which was decent for what I wanted but I bought it ages ago and there is a lot more out there.

I thought ArchiCAD was the one to look at as you can import in real life furniture images/sizes etc etc from various companies?

I thought ArchiCAD was the one to look at as you can import in real life furniture images/sizes etc etc from various companies?
I think an ArchiCAD license might be a bit steep for a one off project ($4250)?
Draftsight is a pretty good replica of AutoCAD - its in the same format and uses all of the same shortcut keys.. and its free :) You can also download and import the different blocks for free from certain websites.

Back