Designing a kitchen

Hello SSers

I will be settling on IP2 in just over 5 weeks time (5th May). The property needs a bit of work (mostly cosmetic), although the biggest thing that needs doing is an entirely new kitchen.

I am doing some research as to what is involved and what sort of things I should be thinking about.

Thought I'd start a thread here and see what wisdom the forum has to offer :)

I'm heading down this weekend to inspect the place in more detail and see exactly what needs doing. This is what I'm hoping to do:

- Settle on 5th May (preferably early in the day, but see what happens)
- Take the rest of the week off work - organise the relevant tradies
- Do any cosmetic fixes myself (e.g. painting) while the tradies do their thing
- Have it all done by Friday, ready to start seeing tenants through on the weekend
- Get a lease signed and tenant in asap after

In a perfect world, I'll have plenty of stuff to do while the tradies do their stuff (don't want to be sitting there twiddling my thumbs - want to make the most of the time off work).

Not sure how realistic / feasible this all is. Will be a learning experience for sure. I really want to fasttrack this as much as possible though as I'm going to have to spend some time looking for another place as well.

Any advice / guidance / suggestions would ge greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
BLTN

- Settle on 5th May (preferably early in the day, but see what happens)
- Take the rest of the week off work - organise the relevant tradies
- Do any cosmetic fixes myself (e.g. painting) while the tradies do their thing
- Have it all done by Friday, ready to start seeing tenants through on the weekend
- Get a lease signed and tenant in asap after

Have you done a reno before?

You're dreaming that it'll all be done by Friday.

A kitchen will take at least a week all by itself. A couple of days order and deliver the kitchen parts -- allow some time for the bench top to be cut and mitred, but this could be done before settlement. Might need a day or two to demolish the old kitchen and prepare for the new one: if services are being moved then allow 2 to 3 days more for trades. Then day or two to assemble the flat-pack cabinets and let the glue dry. Another day or two to install and level them, and install the bench top, sink, oven etc. Another day to tile and grout, another day for the sparky to install the power points and range hood, plumber to install the taps etc. Another day to install doors, drawers, handles, and line everything up. Are you laying new floor? Add a day for that.

Have you done a reno before?

You're dreaming that it'll all be done by Friday.

A kitchen will take at least a week all by itself. A couple of days order and deliver the kitchen parts -- allow some time for the bench top to be cut and mitred, but this could be done before settlement. Might need a day or two to demolish the old kitchen and prepare for the new one: if services are being moved then allow 2 to 3 days more for trades. Then day or two to assemble the flat-pack cabinets and let the glue dry. Another day or two to install and level them, and install the bench top, sink, oven etc. Another day to tile and grout, another day for the sparky to install the power points and range hood, plumber to install the taps etc. Another day to install doors, drawers, handles, and line everything up. Are you laying new floor? Add a day for that.

This is why I don't buy flat pack kitchens. Waste of time and energy for no gain.
But OMG all those things don't take a day each. If it takes you that long you are better paying someone to install the kitchen. They can do it in a day and your time can be spent earning money elsewhere.

BTW- You will NOT be twiddling your thumbs.

Firstly measure and order the kitchen BEFORE you settle. If you buy flatpack have it ready to go in.
Organise the tradies to come Tuesday (or Wednesday depending oin what you are doing yourself.
Day one- Rip stuff out you don't want. Kitchen, carpet etc. You may need plumber to disconnect plumbing from kitchen on day one.
Day two- Prepare kitchen walls, install kitchen (are you doing it?) if not get tradie. You can install a small kitchen in a day if you know what you are doing.
Paint in other rooms while tradies are doing kitchen? etc
Floor? Polish floors- have them come in last (2 days). Carpet, measure before and have carpet layer in Friday.

If it's just basically tidy, paint and kitchen you may be able to do it in a week(depending on what you need tradies for). But really you only have 4 days if you settle Monday. I seriously doubt it unless you are really handy AND you have lots of tradies all working flat out at once.

I did one in a week but no kitchen. Painted doors and put new handles on kitchen. Replaced all flooring (carpet and vinyl strips in kitchen and laundry), painted throughout, new vanity and toilet, tidied yard. No tradies though, just me and hubby.

Good luck. If you care to put photos or more info that would be great.

I also think you have no hope of new kitchen and painting (how much painting?) in a week.

As other have said, get access and have the kitchen measured and ordered.

I also would avoid the flatpack route. We had arms (member here) install a kitchen for us but opted to have him make it up. I reckon someone who does this a lot could do it six times quicker than us. I HATE making Ikea flatpack stuff, and would not even try a whole kitchen. Someone would end up with a screwdriver in their ear :D.

Another time we bought a second hand kitchen that came in so many pieces I had no idea how to put it back together. The kitchen chap who installed the kitchen in the house we bought this from delivered it to our house and for about $600 he and an offsider put it all together in the time it took me to just start to figure out what goes where.

Money well spent.

If it is new kitchen and only a bit of painting, and you get your trades lined up and booked and nothing goes wrong, and depending how much painting you are doing, by yourself or with some help, you "could" get it done in a week, but things "will" go wrong and things "will" take twice as long as you think they will.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I will reply in more detail later, but firstly - I am not intending to install the kitchen myself as I wouldn't have a clue how (and I expect it'd take far longer for me to do it).

I would be looking at doing the painting and other cosmetic renos while I get someone to install the kitchen and other various tradies to do there bit.

When you get all the dimensions of the room this weekend have a scour of gumtree and see if there is any whole kitchens in there which will suit. There are trades who can do the removal and reinstallation of it for you.

eg

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wood...chen-cabinets-including-appliances/1040803086

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/scar...e-in-demolition-sale-wembley-downs/1041919357

That is very interesting.

Looks like some serious dollars can be saved though - and considering I'm not looking at putting in a world-class kitchen, it could be an option. If I can figure out the logistics of it (and the tradies I'd need to get etc)

The plan at the moment was more like buying a whole kitchen from bunnings or ikea and having it all delivered and installed by them.

Back