Desired Place to Live in Melbounre

Toorak is much too stuffy for my taste. I moved from Fitzroy where I'd been for 8 years over to Richmond (2 years ago). It wasn't a suburb that was in my top 5 until I spent a bit of time hanging out and getting the vibe. Now, we wouldn't change it for the world. Sure we'd move to a mansion, but it would stay right here in Richmond.

If you edit it, I think you have an extra "http" at the front of the URL. ;)

Brilliant Oz!

I had an epiphany on the 19th floor..:):D;)

Actually, I have lived in (some Oz o/s's) cities for relatively short times, just never Melbourne. I find I like Melbourne. There is something about Melbourne.

Anywhere near the Bay from Albert Park to Sandringham would be fantastic...I need to be near public transport also to see the saints march to victory in 2010

Our Obsession, which building are you in? I'm hopeless trying to figure it out from the views. Our IP is in Lorimer Street and our tenant was raving about it to us when we had to drop a few things in to him.

I do tease hubby and say it's actually his "Plan B" should disaster strike and I want a divorce (as if :rolleyes:) but I really think I'd love living there. I'm a Melbourne girl through and through, I used to live on Rathdowne Street many moons ago, but Docklands seems much better again.

Like Tony says, it's a great place for a PPOR but the yeilds aren't crash hot for an IP (added so ppl don't think I'm trying to talk the place up).

Alright so we can't afford Brighton anymore, I'll change my vote to Docklands. :p

I would vote for Croydon ...East of Melbourne. Out of the city .... cleaner, greener and better place to live. Has got everything within walking distance. Dandenong ranges and Yarra Valley wineries within short driving distance .... transport, shops, library, swimming pool all in one place!

A nice house on the river at Studley Park Kew, would be my pick. Fantastic spot and not full of tossers like a lot of other wannabe suburbs.

From the responses to this topic it doesn't look like 99.9% of people want to live in Toorak. If we catergorise the so called top suburbs as one (IE. Brighton, Kew, Toorak etc) that doesn't seem like 99.9% of people want to live in them. True the top suburbs seem to be the desired place to live from the respondents on this forum, however there is support for inner city suburrbs and suburbs in and around the Dandenongs (IE. Croydon).

Perhaps the majority of people want to live in the so called rich suburbs, however it is not in the 99% region. So when suburbs that aren't seen as glamouris such as Point Cook are bagged, don't bag them by saying 99% of people want to live in Toorak or similar suburbs.

I know I am going to cop it from those still suffering in Melbourne, but I need to tell the truth :
Living in Melbourne, not in a million years. Blowflies capital of the world, on a rare sunny warm Melbourne day, walked on a Sorrento beach, and what happened ? The blowflies tried to get in your mouth, nostrils and any other openings they could find, didn't really want to think which animal poo they feasted on prior attacking you. The weather is absolutely crap, one day oven hot, the next day freezing wet & cold, no sunshine 300 days in a year, and the streets are choke full of foreigners (thanks Kevin) .................

Last edited:
From the responses to this topic it doesn't look like 99.9% of people want to live in Toorak. If we catergorise the so called top suburbs as one (IE. Brighton, Kew, Toorak etc) that doesn't seem like 99.9% of people want to live in them. True the top suburbs seem to be the desired place to live from the respondents on this forum, however there is support for inner city suburrbs and suburbs in and around the Dandenongs (IE. Croydon).

Perhaps the majority of people want to live in the so called rich suburbs, however it is not in the 99% region. So when suburbs that aren't seen as glamouris such as Point Cook are bagged, don't bag them by saying 99% of people want to live in Toorak or similar suburbs.

You're asking people who by and large can't afford Toorak whether they want to live in the place. It's something that doesn't cross most people's minds because they're just not in a position to have had direct experience with living there. Sp naturally the place doesn't spring up as an obvious choice. Furthermore, it seems pretty abrasive to say Toorak because the response would be "yea yea give me something new". Lastly this may be compounded by the fact that there is biasness attached to where people have bought.

Perhaps if the question was: if I gave you a house for free - and without knowing its value or even what it looks like - would you rather that be in Toorak or anywhere else. I'd take the random punt and take Toorak.

Perhaps if the question was: if I gave you a house for free - and without knowing its value or even what it looks like - would you rather that be in Toorak or anywhere else. I'd take the random punt and take Toorak.

Deltaberry, Lived in Hawthorn so know toorak well, have also lived in Surrey Hills & St kilda - would STILL pick Moonee Ponds or Essendon any day of the week. Stop clutching at straws to try and validate your point, I think the group has completely discounted your 99.9% to more like 10%.

Cheers
AV

You're asking people who by and large can't afford Toorak whether they want to live in the place. It's something that doesn't cross most people's minds because they're just not in a position to have had direct experience with living there. Sp naturally the place doesn't spring up as an obvious choice. Furthermore, it seems pretty abrasive to say Toorak because the response would be "yea yea give me something new". Lastly this may be compounded by the fact that there is biasness attached to where people have bought.

If you read my first post, you would have seen that I said assume that all house prices are the same value in Melbourne. From the sample we have and the fact most people knew that for the sake of this posting, price was not a factor in selecting a suburb, I think it's clear 99.9% of people do not want to live in Toorak. It looks like Brighton is a more desired place to live.

I don't see why you don't argue that generally people prefer to live in the well to do suburbs like Brighton, Kew and Toorak. That argument would have a lot more legs, than your 99.9% for Toorak.

If you read my first post, you would have seen that I said assume that all house prices are the same value in Melbourne. From the sample we have and the fact most people knew that for the sake of this posting, price was not a factor in selecting a suburb, I think it's clear 99.9% of people do not want to live in Toorak. It looks like Brighton is a more desired place to live.

I don't see why you don't argue that generally people prefer to live in the well to do suburbs like Brighton, Kew and Toorak. That argument would have a lot more legs, than your 99.9% for Toorak.

Look, I was the one who said 99.9% for Toorak and as you probably should be aware, it was used metaphorically to illustrate the fact that 'if people had a choice, they would NOT live in Point Cook'.

Anyways Pickle Pickle, you have already confused the entire premise of the argument because your assumption of all house prices being the same is misleading and does not actually invalidate my argument, but rather, pose an entirely different discussion, this being 'what is your favourite suburb?'.

What I meant to say was exactly what Deltaberry said. If you were to be given a house for free, and if you wanted to make money and if you are a rational investor then you would choose Toorak OBVIOUSLY (also includes suburbs like Brighton, Canterbury etc...).

Anyways, the point I was trying to prove (and successfully done) is that if given a choice and based on the qualifications I made that are outlined above, you would choose a suburb like Toorak. Don't give me crap that you'd rather choose Croydon over a Toorak or Brighton. People are just saying it based on self-bias and also the fact they are not (and probably never) faced with the decision. If I was to give you a random 1000sqm land + house anywhere in Melbourne, I'd doubt you choose Croydon.

Pickle proposed a hypothetical scenario in which all houses cost the same (shutting down the question of affordability) and then asked where would people like to live.

Based on the poll, Pickle then reached the conclusion that 90% of the respondents did not want to live in Toorak.

DeeHwa said:
If you were to be given a house for free, and if you wanted to make money and if you are a rational investor then you would choose Toorak OBVIOUSLY (also includes suburbs like Brighton, Canterbury etc...).

'All houses cost the same' vs 'free house' - isn't this exactly the same scenario as to shut down the affordability issue?

I think that most of the respondents are rational investors, and to call them otherwise simply because they don't hold the same view as yourself is rather rude.

DeeHwa said:
Anyways, the point I was trying to prove (and successfully done) is that if given a choice and based on the qualifications I made that are outlined above, you would choose a suburb like Toorak. Don't give me crap that you'd rather choose Croydon over a Toorak or Brighton. People are just saying it based on self-bias and also the fact they are not (and probably never) faced with the decision. If I was to give you a random 1000sqm land + house anywhere in Melbourne, I'd doubt you choose Croydon.

And yet, when given the situation and being told they can afford anywhere in Melbourne, many other people have chosen suburbs over Obvious Toorak. Therefore your claim was not successfully proven. Didn't you read through the thread?

First you look down on Point Cook, and now Croydon? Which suburb is next, I wonder? Sooooo many other suburbs to choose from apart from your Toorak. :rolleyes:

Back