Developing 101

Hi guys,

As many SS formites are looking at developing I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread on how to source the right properties, mitigate risk and of course to achieve the best outcome.

Feasibility

Attention to detail is the key between a profitable development and a financial disaster. One main aspect that will determine what you can and cannot develop is the amount of funds available to you and your borrowing capacity.

What process do I need to undertake to determine which site will be a profitable one?

Choose one council area so you can study that particular councils requirements rather than being overwhelmed and looking anywhere and everywhere. You don’t have to develop their but you can learn the process and apply to any other council.

Study the planning code of the council as most councils will have its own twist to the planning code of that State.

You may find that you need to research a few areas before settling on a particular area to develop.

Drive around the areas that you are researching in order to determine whether that particular council is pro-development or not and determine which type of dwellings are in demand.

Once you have found a potential site you can be breakdown the feasibility study into a few key points. These are:

• The purchase price (including stamp duty)
• The number of dwellings
• The cost of construction (including contingencies and demolition)
• The interest cost (this is where determining the length of time to complete your development is important)
• Planning/DA fees and all council contributions including subdivision
• Your selling costs (agent fees, title fees, legal fees)
• The end value of the dwellings developed (be conservative)

From this you can then work out your dollar profit, your profit margin, your holding costs and the amount you need to borrow versus the amount you need to tip into the development.

It would also be good for other developers to contribute their knowledge to this thread. :)

Oscar

You are a champion!
That's what I love about this forum. I just have to think about something and someone posts a thread to answer the voices in my head. :D

Do you do business in Sydney or just Melbourne?

Hi guys,

As many SS formites are looking at developing I thought it may be a good idea to start a thread on how to source the right properties, mitigate risk and of course to achieve the best outcome.

Feasibility

Attention to detail is the key between a profitable development and a financial disaster. One main aspect that will determine what you can and cannot develop is the amount of funds available to you and your borrowing capacity.

What process do I need to undertake to determine which site will be a profitable one?

Choose one council area so you can study that particular councils requirements rather than being overwhelmed and looking anywhere and everywhere. You don’t have to develop their but you can learn the process and apply to any other council.

Study the planning code of the council as most councils will have its own twist to the planning code of that State.

You may find that you need to research a few areas before settling on a particular area to develop.

Drive around the areas that you are researching in order to determine whether that particular council is pro-development or not and determine which type of dwellings are in demand.

Once you have found a potential site you can be breakdown the feasibility study into a few key points. These are:

• The purchase price (including stamp duty)
• The number of dwellings
• The cost of construction (including contingencies and demolition)
• The interest cost (this is where determining the length of time to complete your development is important)
• Planning/DA fees and all council contributions including subdivision
• Your selling costs (agent fees, title fees, legal fees)
• The end value of the dwellings developed (be conservative)

From this you can then work out your dollar profit, your profit margin, your holding costs and the amount you need to borrow versus the amount you need to tip into the development.

It would also be good for other developers to contribute their knowledge to this thread. :)

Oscar

Hi oscar just saw ur story on api :eek:

as a newbie n not a builder i find it hard to gauge the potential building cost and could u elaborate on the planning and subdivision aspect? i am aware that sewage drainage cost can be very staggering so how do u factor this in the feasibility study?

Podo, drainage budget will come basically from the QS schedule of rates. Then you'll adjust for the difficulty eg depth, excavation in rock, poor ground requiring pier & beam or sewer encasement.

Podo, drainage budget will come basically from the QS schedule of rates. Then you'll adjust for the difficulty eg depth, excavation in rock, poor ground requiring pier & beam or sewer encasement.

pardon me but what is qs schedule of rate? canbe found on yarra valley water wed site etc?

Hi oscar just saw ur story on api :eek:

as a newbie n not a builder i find it hard to gauge the potential building cost and could u elaborate on the planning and subdivision aspect? i am aware that sewage drainage cost can be very staggering so how do u factor this in the feasibility study?

Hi Podo

Yep, I got the mug shot in there :p

For unit developments you ask the council for the Legal Point of Discharge. This tells you where you need to "tap" into. Sometimes it's out the front or rear of your block and sometimes it may be 100m away. :eek: For example in my experience a simple 4 unit site, flat block, discharge point close by may cost $25-$35k or so. This is in Victoria. Still there are a lot of variable. To properly quote it you need your drainage plan approved by council then pass it to your plumber.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Oscar
How long will it take to get finalised drawings/permits?

When I put together plans and permits in Melb some years ago now it took 6 months just to get my drawings, the architect took his sweet time, but got the permits 5 months after this, so all up around 11 months. I would expect drawings/plans ready for build in 6 months, is this realistic

Last edited:
Hi Oscar
How long will it take to get finalised drawings/permits?

When I put together plans and permits in Melb some years ago now it took 6 months just to get my drawings, the architect took his sweet time, but got the permits 5 months after this, so all up around 11 months. I would expect drawings/plans ready for build in 6 months, is this realistic

It really depends on the council, the person preparing the planning application and whether it all fits within the planning guidelines. 6 months to get an application in is a very long time though i must admit. If you're on the ball you should generally have your permit in 4-6 months. As a recent example, I had an application approved for 4 units approved in 9 weeks. It's not the norm but it can happen that quick.

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Podo

For unit developments you ask the council for the Legal Point of Discharge. This tells you where you need to "tap" into. Sometimes it's out the front or rear of your block and sometimes it may be 100m away. :eek: For example in my experience a simple 4 unit site, flat block, discharge point close by may cost $25-$35k or so. This is in Victoria. Still there are a lot of variable. To properly quote it you need your drainage plan approved by council then pass it to your plumber.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Oscar

Hi Oscar,

This is a great thread you've started. If a 4 unit site would cost around $25 - $35K to tap into what would a unit in a back yard cost to tap into the sewerage?

Regards

Hodge

QS = Quantity surveyor.

A cost guide like Rawlinson or Cordells is invaluable for cost planning.

Scott, the last time I looked at Cornelius I think they were about 10-15% too high. When trying to make margins of 20-25% this is too large of a margin.

I'd be cautious in making investment decisions using those guides.

Huss.

Hi Podo

Hope this helps

Cheers
Oscar

I suppose this drainage plan doesnt come along until u r well into the town planning application stage?
is it possible for a guesstimate of the utilities connection costs before u start the whole thing?

I suppose this drainage plan doesnt come along until u r well into the town planning application stage?
is it possible for a guesstimate of the utilities connection costs before u start the whole thing?

For unit developments the drainage part comes after the town planning stage. It forms part if the Building Permit Documentation.

Oscar Celik

Actually the (mental) drainage starts at the dealing with council part :mad:

:D Love it.

It's amazing how many "staff training days", "RDOs", "Long Service Leave", "off sick", in an "external meeting" Council staff have.

My favourite was calling up a Council Planner. "Oh, I'm sorry, Mr Useless only takes phone calls between 8.28 and 10.28 on Monday and Thursdays". WTF? :eek:

:D Love it.

It's amazing how many "staff training days", "RDOs", "Long Service Leave", "off sick", in an "external meeting" Council staff have.

My favourite was calling up a Council Planner. "Oh, I'm sorry, Mr Useless only takes phone calls between 8.28 and 10.28 on Monday and Thursdays". WTF? :eek:

Try having a council officer look after your application that works only 2 days a week! :eek:

Cheers
Oscar

Back