Development Action Plan

I'm a bit of a procrastinator. I figure if I write it down here it might actually make me take some action!

Background
My partner and I have just finished a project that involved building two rear houses (behind two existing rentals that we had). Both properties had tenants move in the day we got the keys. The process went surprisingly smoothly and now we're keen to develop a five unit site we hold in Gosnells. It currently has a rented 4 x 1 house on it.

We have a quote for the five unit build from the builder we just used. Because we had a good experience with them, we're keen to engage them again. We've approached Westpac (our current bank) for finance, who have dragged their feet and finally told us the finance would be under commercial rates (commercial is > 2 units under their rules) and we would need pre-sales to cover the entire borrowing amount and even then, they may not lend to us due to our lack of commercial building experience.

I think we should consider using a broker, but my partner is admimant that we don't due to a bad experience with the previous broker we used. The deal they brokered was no better than the deal we secured for ourselves, and my partner really struggled with having to deal with them for loan issues and money releases instead of directly with the bank. Plus they didn't give us any options for avoiding x-coll (actually they pushed that way without exploring any other options).

We're also ready to re-finaince our existing portfolio (one last loan about to come out of a fixed rate) and potentially move banks to get out of the x-coll arrangment we're currently in (1 x ppor, 5 x IPs). (ps. Thanks Rolf for info on x-coll you've provided on this forum)

Is it true that if we use a broker to setup our loans, then we can no longer talk directly to the bank for the life of the loans and have to liase through the broker?

To move forward, my plan of action is as follows...

Plan of Action

1) Submit the subdivision applications for our previous builds
I simply haven't done the paperwork. I understand it should take about 5 months to complete

2) Start the process of refinancing our existing portfolio to undo x-coll and also see if we can get better rates.
Approach a couple of banks...assume if we move all our loans to the same bank will get a better deal. May be complicated as front old houses on recently developed blocks probably now have negative equity. May sell later in the year, but not now.

3) Setup a spreadsheet to work out if the deal is even worth it (I understand we should be aiming for a minimum 20% profit).
Although, I don't know how to work this out since we already own the land and we'd like to keep as many as possible for long term rentals. I also have a tendancy to get caught up in 'analysis paralysis' which drives my partner crazy. And of course there are so many scenarios (i.e. hold vs sell, pre-sales or not, build 4 instead of 5 etc...)

4) Take our preferred scenario to a couple of banks to get an indication of if and how they would finance the deal.

5) If dissatisfied with outcome of step 4, convince partner to use a broker.

Issues
I'm slightly concerned that if we do the bank negotiations ourselves we may not get the best structuring of loans and if we get knocked back for finance along the way it will affect our credit rating.

Read my thread on my development. Not finding a broker I think was a critical mistake I made.

I would strongly suggest speaking with a GOOD broker early in the piece. Speak directly to some other forumites who are doing developments of +3 units/houses, to see which broker they used. Sort out your current financing arrangements before jumping in.

Im pretty sure a 5 unit site will be commercial, so yes, increased rates. But there should be a way of funding it if all the numbers stack up.

As for the spreadsheet there are several ways of doing this - given you own the property already.
I would take todays property price, add all the costs to develop and see what that comes to.
Take todays value of the finished product and see if it is 20% more than the cost.

Regards
Blacky

1) Submit the subdivision applications for our previous builds
I simply haven't done the paperwork. I understand it should take about 5 months to complete

Sure, sounds fine.

2) Start the process of refinancing our existing portfolio to undo x-coll and also see if we can get better rates.
Approach a couple of banks...assume if we move all our loans to the same bank will get a better deal. May be complicated as front old houses on recently developed blocks probably now have negative equity. May sell later in the year, but not now.

Honestly I would fix the cross-collateralisation BEFORE you go for the build. Imagine if you fall short of funds during the build....how are you supposed to get finance then? Do it beforehand. A cross coll of 6 properties is a nightmare to untie at the best of times....

3) Setup a spreadsheet to work out if the deal is even worth it (I understand we should be aiming for a minimum 20% profit).
Although, I don't know how to work this out since we already own the land and we'd like to keep as many as possible for long term rentals. I also have a tendancy to get caught up in 'analysis paralysis' which drives my partner crazy. And of course there are so many scenarios (i.e. hold vs sell, pre-sales or not, build 4 instead of 5 etc...)

Yes, that's fine.

4) Take our preferred scenario to a couple of banks to get an indication of if and how they would finance the deal.

Yes but I would run it through a broker because the last thing you want to do is shop a deal around and then no one wants it.

5) If dissatisfied with outcome of step 4, convince partner to use a broker.

I would do this at step 1.

Issues
I'm slightly concerned that if we do the bank negotiations ourselves we may not get the best structuring of loans and if we get knocked back for finance along the way it will affect our credit rating.

Yes, that's why you should use a broker at step 1.

Last edited:
Well my plan of action is now out the window.

We've decided to build a new PPOR (demolish our existing place). Developing is now on the back burner!

Another time...

Well in the future if you are thinking of using a broker why not contact 2 or 3 recommended ones, explain your situation and see what they advise. Nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain!

Well in the future if you are thinking of using a broker why not contact 2 or 3 recommended ones, explain your situation and see what they advise. Nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain!

Because people in general feel more comfortable talking to a bank manager at a bank rather than an independent broker, even though the broker sells 30 different lenders while the bank manager only has one. I can understand this due to the branding and in sales, perception is reality. Fortunately this is slowly going the way of the dodo but it is still around :)

Well my plan of action is now out the window.

We've decided to build a new PPOR (demolish our existing place). Developing is now on the back burner!

Another time...

Justlearning - sorry I must have missed your original post about financing and developing in Perth.

Even though your plans have changed I thought I would still write something.

Although your partner had a bad experience with a broker they are really the way to go. Without a broker I couldn't have gotten my 4 villas under residential rates - yes I had a dud broker who wanted me to do 3 or go commercial who I sacked and got a better one who could get me 4 under Resi rates. It probably won't be one of the big 4 - which is why a broker is handy as they know all the banks that will look at rental incomes (for the holders) for serviceability and who will let you do the maximum at Resi rates. I have my 4 villas with Heritage bank.

5 under resi rates might well be impossible but one of the brokers on here will give it their best shot and then you will know for sure if it's possible or not.

Now is the perfect time to sort out your tangle. When you strata your duplexes you can refinance spread the amount over both titles and hopefully they will value up so they don't need the xcoll security property/ies at all.

Presumably you will need to finance the new PPOR build so get it sorted before you do that. A nice clean debt portfolio will make it easier for any future credit applications to be easily determined.

You can also look at setting up an offset and/or Line of Credits for future projects like the 5 villas.

Back