Did big renno

Hi all.

Well we've been rennovating our PPOR for the last year or so albeit slowly, and it's almost all completed now.

A list of things we either did, or had performed, with pricing.

Plunge pool with paving and appropriate fencing $30k
All garden and landscaping works which include a pergola and HUGE garden bed, and landscaping throughout the rest of the gardens $8k (did myself over 1 year period)
Painted exterior $3000
Gyprocked all interior walls $6500 (very cheap, paid cash)
Painted interior ourselves $500 and ALOT of time and effort..
New kitchen, a friend did cash job $7500 (again, cheap) + 2000 fittings
Removed lights in most rooms and replaced with downlights, plus sparkie (friend) $1000
Tiling in kitchen (splashbacks) $600 cash.
New ensuite vanity and plumbing, plus tiling (did ourselves) $500

It will be interesting to have a valuation performed soon, our market has stagnated recently after good growth these past couple of years.
So I finally see we've so far spent $60,000.. :eek: Which I didn't even think about up until now. We never 'planned' to do all this wor, it just happened I guess. The past 2 months have been full on though and come to think of it, the only thing we haven't done is replaced any shower screens/showers and have not replaced the vanity in main but probably will now I've got the bug. Its cheap and easy to DIY.

The house looks almost brand new now and is very comfortable, after cleaning up all the mess from gyprockers. It was horrible living in the house while they were working inside because it was a cash job on the side it took them 2 weeks to get it completed and there was rubbish and plaster everywhere!

Our plan was to spend some money on our house, and then pull out what we put in in equity to make it tax deductinble. Works twice for us because we get to live in the house (comfort) and get to utilise tax deductible debt to purchase further property.

Just thought I'd share our little story

Last edited:
Yes indeed. Included everything, including a great big mess of a yard for 6 months until the grass grew back, and broken pavers/ driveway . .

From memory the pool itself (dug/installed and fully plumbed with chlorine filter, salt $1500 extra) was around $22k all up. We got a small discount with this also, can't remember how much though but always worth asking.
In retrospect I would have concreted or used some other surface in place of the pavers as they sag a little with age and weeds grow through eventually.
Plus I've seen some really nice looking surfaces done before. Oh, and would have also dug a small garden bed on the side without the garden to plant palm trees for tropical look and shade. We have great morning shade but from 1pm onwards its full sun.

In regard to dimensions, all pool places have their own usual pools to choose from.
This one has 6 jets, sand filter, around 2 metres depth at the deep end and 1.2 at shallow step end. It's around 4 metres long x 3m wide in it's widest part.
Ours is fibreglass as concrete was too heavy to lift in.

Id be interested in the specs for the plunge pool (dimensions etc) ?
Did this include all pipe work / pumps etc - any additional costs?

Cheers
Neil

Hi again!

As requested, here are some snaps of our improvements :)

Attachments

• 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 111
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi!

No we don't want kids. And yes! I use the pool most days.
We don't live in Melbourne though, should get around to changing that thing

Nice work investor
Question: Have you got little kids?
Are you going to use the pool?
Its always cold and wet when I come to Melbourne :confused:
cheers

Back