Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

I'm male, 37 years old and in the 3rd week of my weight loss journey. I have lost 3 kilos (107 kg now from 110 kg) but I think I've already hit a bump and I feel my weight loss has stagnated (or I am just paranoid and frustrated!). My aim is to lose a kilo a week and my goal is to lose 30 kilos healthily in 8 months.

I'm now also counting my calories (1,2000 cal a day) as I also aim to plan a diet that would last a lifetime so that means I should enjoy what I eat (i.e. no bland stuff for me) therefore I'm also constantly searching for healthly recipies which are easy to do and full of flavours. I don't smoke and I don't dink... I just love food especially the unhealthy stuff!

I do one hour of exercise a day (5x a week) which is 2 sets of 10-min stationary bike at the start and in the end of each session (I do it slow-fast-slow-fast...), a few abdominals and a few strength training with dumb bells. I play 3 to 4 sets of doubles tennis every weekend.

I've read that in order to get rid of my belly, I have to do cardio first before aiming for the 6-pack (I not aiming for the 6-pack, I just want to lose my belly!) but to get rid of over-all fat, I have to do interval training and strength training so that I will continue to burn fat even after my workout.

There are a lot of methods out there and I'm beginning to get confused. Is anyone on the same boat? How do you do yours? Help please!

Hiya DV

part of the challenge is that mabe your metabolic rate has dropped due to the starvation calories.

I dont have the weight issue, im one of those wighty people hate ...........it looks like I can eat what I like when I like and however muc I like and I tend not to put weight on.

I have dealt with a lot of clients in the weight loss industry, with collective client base of literally thousands.

Much of it comes down to ife style change..........and not just a temporary diet.............separate topic altogether. One needs to analyse how you got to where you are in the first place

Anyway, many of those I have has contact with have been succesful with a moderate carb but highish protein diet, not an Atkins style full on thing, but something a little more balanced.

Makes simple sense to me............your body needs more energy to convert most proteins than it receives............regular protein top ups throughout the day..dont get hungry too much, by then your metabolic rate is closing again.

ta
rolf

Very simplistic

Hiya DV

part of the challenge is that mabe your metabolic rate has dropped due to the starvation calories.

I dont have the weight issue, im one of those wighty people hate ...........it looks like I can eat what I like when I like and however muc I like and I tend not to put weight on.

I have dealt with a lot of clients in the weight loss industry, with collective client base of literally thousands.

Much of it comes down to ife style change..........and not just a temporary diet.............separate topic altogether. One needs to analyse how you got to where you are in the first place

Anyway, many of those I have has contact with have been succesful with a moderate carb but highish protein diet, not an Atkins style full on thing, but something a little more balanced.

Makes simple sense to me............your body needs more energy to convert most proteins than it receives............regular protein top ups throughout the day..dont get hungry too much, by then your metabolic rate is closing again.

ta
rolf

Very simplistic

Hi Rolf,

You're right... I hate you... :D

I've also read about the moderate carb-high protein diet which is I'm aiming for... I think I got the protein right but not the carbs. I elimiated rice completely from my diet (I'm Asian) so I think I may have to eat it at least a cup during lunch. Carrots and yoghurt are my new friends :D

Simple, but hard... :eek:

DWV

1200 calories every single day will slow your metabolic rate which defeats the purpose. Make sure you increase you calorie intake a day a week - not necessarily with junk food. Better to do it with healthy food. Having said that, a treat each week will enable longetivity as it will keep you sane.

Incorporate weights training as the more muscle you put on the more your body burns throughout the day. You will have times where you will stagnate and then times where the weight flies off. You said you have lost 3kg's in 3 weeks which means something is working.

Also, have lean protein (e.g. lean beef, seafood (has essential fats), chicken beast etc) and heaps of vegies twice a day. Keep your carbs lower than your protein intake. The best carbs are your low GI type e.g. legumes (beans, lentils, quinou). Have these along with your protein intake. Also, limit your dairy intake and sugar content.

The best weight loss tool is WATER. Make sure you are always hydrated. 10 glasses should do it, especially with each meal. Keep portions small and eat regurlarly.

Lastly, increase your cardio/weights intensity. After your workout allow 30/45 mins before you eat.

This is a very basic outline.

Good luck :)

It sounds like you are on the right path. You just need to stick to your guns for a few more weeks. When you start seeing results you won't want to go back and the cravings for the wrong type of food should ease.

I found the 12 week challenge and "body for life" a great help when getting out of a bad food and low exercise rut. (However I set my own personal challenge I didn't bother registering officially)

I didn't end up with a ripped body by the end of the 12 weeks, but I had picked up a lot of good food and exercise habit forming routines and some needed mental motivation. Most importantly I had reduced my growing belly and increased my fitness by a substantial amount.

The program is heavily influenced by American (U.S) "cuisine" but it is fairly easy to adapt to more Australian equivalents.

The rough guide being eat 6 portion controlled meals a day (each meal being a palm sized portion of protein and a fist sized portion of carbohydrates.) 6 days of the week. 1 day of the week is reserved as the "cheat" day to give you a break if you need it.

Along with the the diet the exercise part of the challenge is to do 6 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training and 1 day of rest.

Cardio consists of a 20 min challenge basically running or cycling, the goal being to push for as high intensity as possible in the 20 min.

The weight training alternates between working upper body and lower body including core to build muscle mass.

It sounds a bit gimmicky, but it helped I basically picked up everything from one of the books http://bodyforlife.com/

edit: Yes drink lots of water at least 10 glasses a day!!

I agree with what others have said about food.

With excersise and losing weight, the key is load bearing and high intensity.

There is the one and only for this - running. No personal trainer fees, no fancy workout sets or gym machines. When you run hard it hurts hard - and it fires your metabolism and drains your energy reserves.

Also better if you run in the morning as it kicks starts your metabolism for the day.

Running also gets you from A to B. Be creative. Why get the bus to work when you can run (if it's too far get a bike). As Rolf said - it's a lifestyle change.

DWV

1200 calories every single day will slow your metabolic rate which defeats the purpose. Make sure you increase you calorie intake a day a week - not necessarily with junk food. Better to do it with healthy food. Having said that, a treat each week will enable longetivity as it will keep you sane.

Incorporate weights training as the more muscle you put on the more your body burns throughout the day. You will have times where you will stagnate and then times where the weight flies off. You said you have lost 3kg's in 3 weeks which means something is working.

Also, have lean protein (e.g. lean beef, seafood (has essential fats), chicken beast etc) and heaps of vegies twice a day. Keep your carbs lower than your protein intake. The best carbs are your low GI type e.g. legumes (beans, lentils, quinou). Have these along with your protein intake. Also, limit your dairy intake and sugar content.

The best weight loss tool is WATER. Make sure you are always hydrated. 10 glasses should do it, especially with each meal. Keep portions small and eat regurlarly.

Lastly, increase your cardio/weights intensity. After your workout allow 30/45 mins before you eat.

This is a very basic outline.

Good luck :)

Hi Oscar,

Ok, I think I'll add a bit more to my calorie intake, 1500-1600 a day might do. Before I started, I was eating 2500-3000 a day so maybe 1200 a day might have been too extreme for me.

Weight training... I have two adjustable dumb bells and one bar bell.. would you be able to suggest a beginner's routine for me? I only copy from the net or from you tube but there are so many of them!

I'm eating fish and chicken breast with veggies at the moment so that's good... and have replaced my coffee with water so I think I'm on the right path.

I'll keep all your advices in mind... Thanks for the help, Oscar!

I was 86kgand wanted to lose weight. I met a mate who had done so using the Tony Ferguson Diet.

On a whim I joined that day and bought a weeks supply of the shakes etc.

The weight just fell off. Due to a chronic pain problem I couldn't exercise much - just some light walking.

I got done to 67kg in just a few months and people were starting to worry about me. I figured my weight should be about 70kg which put me in a healthy BMI range.

I was eating a T bone or eqiv every day, 2 bits of fruit and lots of green leafy vege's and other vege's. Just not potatos or carrots or other starchy ones.

Then my wife left the girls and I for some bloke at her work who understood her. In less than a week I was down to 63kg - just not sleeping or eating did that.

I am back to the low 70's now.

My diet has modified itself. I eat no bread or pasta or rice - very little anyway. Lots of fruit and veges and meat. Feel good and look pretty fit.

The folks at Tony Ferguson said it worked really well for men and that was my experience too.

I was never a dieter and whilst I didn't find it hard I do believe that lots of people have self discipline issues that sees them back at their starting weight pretty quickly.

I'd recommend the path I took - it worked for me.

Weight training... I have two adjustable dumb bells and one bar bell.. would you be able to suggest a beginner's routine for me? I only copy from the net or from you tube but there are so many of them!

It's important to start off concentrating on technique when starting weight training. Learning control and muscle isolation will help improve the efficiency and productivity of your weight training along with minimising risk of injury.

If it's possible it might pay to do several personnel training sessions at the local gym to pick up the basics. Otherwise always take note to pay attention to the online tutorials which emphasis technique. Men's Health magazine also has good resources.

hehe, sorry I didn't really mention any routine, but all the lessons I have had with people into weight training was the technique was very important.

Ok, Firstly I will expose my Bias here. I work for Weight Watchers (have just returned from maternity leave this week) and have lost over 30kg with WW. :)

Have you ever considered signing up for a weightloss program such as this?? (not one of those stupid meal replacement ones but a healthy weightloss program). I know that the majority of our members are female, but there are still a large number of men who follow the WeightWatchers program seccessfully (my DH included) and it is just about counting kj (which we convert into points to make it easier) and leving a healthy lifestyle.

Pop over to the WW webpage, have a look in the forums. Even if you don't join as a member you can participate in the forums and gain a wealth of info there.

http://www.weightwatchers.com.au/community

Studies show* that low calories just shuts down your metabolism after a few weeks. Try reading "master Leptin" by Byron Richards which is basically a low carb diet eaten in time with the bodies insulin rises and falls, it really works.

* try reading Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories"...its a huge tome analysing almost every diet study since the 1800s. It turns out that before 1960, low carb was the correct way to diet and is the only one that doesnt raise insulin or make you tired. I have a LOT of weight to lose so I have made a study of all this stuff. I live on low carb and feel better for it.

It's important to start off concentrating on technique when starting weight training. Learning control and muscle isolation will help improve the efficiency and productivity of your weight training along with minimising risk of injury.

If it's possible it might pay to do several personnel training sessions at the local gym to pick up the basics. Otherwise always take note to pay attention to the online tutorials which emphasis technique. Men's Health magazine also has good resources.

hehe, sorry I didn't really mention any routine, but all the lessons I have had with people into weight training was the technique was very important.

Thanks Jonril! I checked bodyforlife and there a lot of good stuff there. I think I'll pick out some tips and plan my training for next week and see how it goes.

I'm not convinced weight training does that much for weight loss, unless it's high intensity such as in a circuit class - Eg. 20 bench presses - hill run - 20 squats into shoulder press - 30 travelling lunge steps - skipping 2mins - then repeat 3 times.

Just doing some biceps curls wont shed the kilos.

Most of the muscle gainers training with heavy wieghts at the gym complain that if they go for a 40min run, they lose weight. Did I mention running before? :)

1200 calories a day is ridiculously low! You need to eat more!!

Post a few days of eating up for me and I'll give you some feedback.

Thanks Simon and Rugrat! I'll also check their sites. The thing is I love to cook so buying prepared meals (and not cooking!) may not be for me.

Savanna, thanks for the tip!

I'm not convinced weight training does that much for weight loss, unless it's high intensity such as in a circuit class - Eg. 20 bench presses - hill run - 20 squats into shoulder press - 30 travelling lunge steps - skipping 2mins - then repeat 3 times.

Most of the muscle gainers training with heavy wieghts at the gym complain that if they go for a 40min run, they lose weight. Did I mention running before? :)

hi bene, I'll think about running... might have to get a companion to get motivated!

I agree. Weight training is to build body mass and make you stronger, from my experience weight training alone won't help lose weight (it always gives me a mental boost to know that I am changing my body weight composion from fat with muscle mass whenever I work out.)

Hi intensity Cardio in my experience along with a healthy diet and plenty of water helps lose weight. High intensity running/sprinting 20min every other day has been most effective for me. however I do need to pace myself to every other day otherwise I develop shine and leg soreness.

I agree. Weight training is to build body mass and make you stronger, from my experience weight training alone won't help lose weight (it always gives me a mental boost to know that I am changing my body weight composion from fat with muscle mass whenever I work out.)

Do you really want to lose weight and have a pear shaped body??? Do the weights. You DO burn more calories with more muscle and will reduce fat quicker than someone weighing the same but with less muscle. Basic Physics.

1200 calories a day is ridiculously low! You need to eat more!!

Post a few days of eating up for me and I'll give you some feedback.

Hi Bon, here's generally what I eat almost everyday... give or take 100 calories. Sometimes I add a cup of rice during dinner.

breakfast:
a bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp sugar + skim milk

snack:
a slice of bread with flora-pro-active (need to bring down cholesterol level)
1 carrot

lunch:
1 banana/apple
1/2 cup of tuna or chicken breast

snack:
a slice of bread with flora-pro-active (need to bring down cholesterol level)
1 carrot
1 tub (175 ml) diet yoghurt

dinner:
1 cup veggies (greens, etc)
1/2 cup fish or chicken breast
1 fruit

Do you really want to lose weight and have a pear shaped body??? Do the weights. You DO burn more calories with more muscle and will reduce fat quicker than someone weighing the same but with less muscle. Basic Physics.

This, 100%
You can be time effecient, and do bicep/tricep/shoulder curls whilst reading stuff like somersoft or weight loss forums, etc.

And +1 what Rolf said about not keeping the calories low everyday, but to have one or even two high calorie intake days - a balanced mix of healthy food of course!

edit: that diet looks good dwv, just don't forget to double it about once a week!

Back