Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

another interesting link

The Truth About How To Lose Weight

Especially this part

2. It’s extremely difficult to lose weight without regular exercise.* Not impossible.* Just much more difficult.* Exactly what exercise routine is best, however,*remains debatable.*

Evidence exists that if you exercise past a certain level of intensity (”intensity” being variably defined in the medical literature) you’ll actually induce an increase in your resting metabolic rate that lasts up to 11-14 hours after you’ve finished exercising.*

Some think this shift*may counteract the tendency of brains with higher weight set points to lower resting metabolic rates when weight loss begins.* In other words, jogging for 30 minutes may only burn 400 calories or so, but by raising your resting metabolic rate for 11-14 hours afterward, you may burn up to as much as an extra 1000 calories!

Interestingly, anaerobic exercise (like weight lifting) may actually be more effective than aerobic exercise (like jogging or aerobics) in producing this effect.* On the other hand, studies of people who walked on treadmills (a low intensity exercise) while actually at their desk jobs (instead of sitting at their computers they walked at their computers!) also lost significant amounts of weight over the long-term.* Unfortunately, while many people attempt to lose weight with low intensity exercise, most don’t do nearly enough of it to be effective.* Finally, the key to maintaining a good exercise program is to think creatively about how to fit it into your busy daily schedule.* The glass is always half-full:* any amount of exercise you manage to do is worth it.* Even just 15 minutes a day.

Dr did discuss possible side effects of all, and coming from a health background, I'm fairly anal about reading up on anything I take..... I haven't had any major negative side effects from any of them at this stage. So, only positives for me at the moment.

The biggest downer of them is that I can't drink any alcohol.
Good on you and I wish you well.

The absence of alcohol may be beneficial long term and who's to say that after some time that the occassional drink may be permitted.

Best of luck with it all.

Regards
Marty

I wonder what would happen if you made a fat/wanting to lose weight person and a naturally thin/steady weight person eat the same. As in, they both eat what the thin person normally eats. Assuming the fat person's ideal weight/size is what the thin person currently is, you can't do this if they're really different heights or ethnicities or whatnot so you'd have to do lots of matching.

That would be an interesting experiment. Or reality show. I wonder if it would do anything or if the thin person just has a 'faster metabolism' than the fat person?

At uni we learnt that people who diet a lot and people who are very overweight just eat whatever is put in front of them at set times per day, and people who don't diet tend to eat when they are hungry rather than by the clock, and eat as much as they need rather than all that is available. Dieting has this ability to mess up the mechanism that tells you when you are satiated. Or something like that, I'm a bit fuzzy on the details - the subject was very interesting but I took it quite a few years ago now :)

As to health conditions, I have a glucose challenge thing looming soon and I always fail those. It seems odd that they give the same amount of glucose to you whether you are 5'2" and 50kg or 6' and 150kg. You'd think they'd give it to you at X millilitres per kilo. I pass random diabetes checks with flying colours but consistently fail these planned ones. The stuff is horribly sweet and makes you feel sick to drink it.

In other words, jogging for 30 minutes may only burn 400 calories or so, but by raising your resting metabolic rate for 11-14 hours afterward, you may burn up to as much as an extra 1000 calories!

While the theory is sound, that figure is just ludicrous. If 30 mins of jogging burnt off another 1,000 calories with it's raising of my BMR for the rest of the day, my cutting diets would be MUCH easier! If only that were accurate. :(

and people who don't diet tend to eat when they are hungry rather than by the clock, and eat as much as they need rather than all that is available.

this is very true ... one of the best looking bodies i have seen is on a female friend who barely exercises (but is always on the go) who only eats when she is hungry - and then only eats until she is full. might mean she only has a yoghurt and banana for dinner, or a huge pasta - or even nothing at all if not hungry. but she doesn't skimp - she eats what she wants, when she wants and drinks with the best of them.

her process makes great sense - i tend to eat when tired (which seems to be most of the time lately) rather than when actually hungry so have a tendancy to overeat. i also love the "taste" of food - so eating for nutrition and hunger are secondary.

i really should retrain myself to her eating habits.

The challenge for me before I went on these meds was that I was always hungry, and never felt full, unless I really stuffed myself! Now, I feel kind of sick if I eat past the point of fullness.
One of the things I have learned over years of trying to lose weight though, is the slower you eat, the more likely you are to feel full quicker.
Also if you start eating when you are hungry, (not ravenous, just hungry) rather than just snacking all the time, its easier to tell when you are full.
Pen

I made it a new years resolution to get back below 100kg this year (at the time 120kg).
My GF is vego so I followed her diet and stopped eating meat. 2 months in and I weighed myself yesterday down to 107kg and 9cm off my waist.
I am always pretty active but have thrown in an extra 5km run/walk once a week and/or a 20km bike ride.
Previous attempts at loose weight were not successful because I couldn't control the diet which is difficult when you are cooking for one.

my biggest incentive was to be able to enjoy the money we are making from buying houses. You cannot take it with you and if you can't enjoy the fruits of your labour what is the joy in being successful. I am on meds for blood pressure and would like to get off of them

We had that SBS 'why are thin people not fat' recorded so we actually watched it last night. It was more interesting than I thought it would be, we thought it might be quite dry.

The other half is trying unsuccessfully and not very hard to lose the weight he put on over Christmas (he wants to be 65kg) so I've taken to serving him at dinner time, giving him much the same serving size as The Child gets. Previously, I'd serve myself and the two rugrats first and he was taking whatever was left out of the main serving platters and eating it all, regardless of how much was left. Now I am justified in smacking his hand when he reaches for any leftover pasta :D And I get leftovers for lunch the next day. Win-win!

I made it a new years resolution to get back below 100kg this year (at the time 120kg).
My GF is vego so I followed her diet and stopped eating meat. 2 months in and I weighed myself yesterday down to 107kg and 9cm off my waist.
I am always pretty active but have thrown in an extra 5km run/walk once a week and/or a 20km bike ride.
Previous attempts at loose weight were not successful because I couldn't control the diet which is difficult when you are cooking for one.

cool good work :)

I'm thinking about eating just tuna and salad for my dinner time meal. I hate cooking too! I dunno how long i could go though before i get bored with it. Hmmm or perhaps i could have salads 5 times a week and the other 2 nights my lite n easy meals. Change from eating so many frozen meals to fresh foods. Maybe i could get used to eating salads more. I dont have a problem with fruit i love it.

This thread is really starting to motivate me. I'm thinking about keeping a food diary... so as to make myself accountable for my intake.

cool good work :)

I'm thinking about eating just tuna and salad for my dinner time meal. I hate cooking too! I dunno how long i could go though before i get bored with it. Hmmm or perhaps i could have salads 5 times a week and the other 2 nights my lite n easy meals. Change from eating so many frozen meals to fresh foods. Maybe i could get used to eating salads more. I dont have a problem with fruit i love it.

This thread is really starting to motivate me. I'm thinking about keeping a food diary... so as to make myself accountable for my intake.

I think its much better to keep eating a variety of food... even if you eat different meat/ protein, and veges served in different ways. If you always eat one type of food, or fairly much the same, your body starts to protest. and its good to eat a variety of foods to get the full spectrum of vitamins and minerals.
But I think its good to move from frozen to fresh meals as well.... I have found that frozen meals don't have so much taste or texture, and dont' really satisfy like fresh food does.

Pen

I found it easy to stop eating meat I wasn't a big meat eater although we still eat seafood on occasion.
There are a number of good websites dealing with vege food.

Alot of my vege friends who don't do it for ethical reasons will go back to eating meat once a year or so as their bodies crave it.

coming on 2 months now and I haven't craved any meat and the weight loss
has proven that for me I am on the right path. Should I still require meat
my body will let me know and I will eat some.

the good thing about not eating meat also means I have no desire to visit the junk food shops such as HJ's etc. although I suffer when walking past the bbq out the front of bunnings when they are fund raising. :(

Yuck.... I think this type of body is a real turn-off.... quite ugly!
The male equivalent to anorexic catwalk models.

Pen

Ryan Reynolds (Van Wilder,Blade Trinity, Wolverine) then?: :D

images

Or this Aussie fella?

images

DWV

Here's a great list of the various types of diets

Wiki- List of Diets

Even then there's still others like the Caveman Diet, The Warrior Diet etc

Very confusing......best to see someone who know's what they're talking about :confused:

How about P90X no "8 minute ab's there though" ;)

Last edited:
Ryan Reynolds (Van Wilder,Blade Trinity, Wolverine) then?: :D;)

No no no .... Booth on Bones last night. *droooool* Made the other half clutch his paunch in shame.

Find me a good screenshot of the scene where Bones was taking all his clothes off to collect evidence please :D

That is the most i have ever read about weight loss , i will admit i skimmed over heaps , as this is not part of a PHD i wish to hold ,

we have had a battle against weight loss issues in this familly for decades.and as i my self have over come a battle against other issues as stated in one issue of API i have learned that eating food is also an addiction that becomes a fight to overcome as io have done, i used to tease my other half about her diets, as going on another diet always resulted in buying food???

i wanted her to go on to my diet, i call it the EAT LESS diet, i am told it works, but hard to maintain, But now i see it as an addiction just like many others , i have seen folks just pick at a plate , somtimes making other conversation as they eat, when they feel bad they eat, just like other addicts , when they feel good they eat , again like other addicts, when they celebrate , guess what they celebrate over food , again just like my former addiction.

so i suppose i see it for what it is, an addiction to food , some have it real bad , and others can controll it a bit better than others, perhaps it should be treated as an addiction, so the first step is to identify it as it is , and start to ID your triggers .
just my i spy on it , please do not take offence craigb.;)

no possible offence could be taken craig - you are spot on. the majority of people who overeat do so because of habits and addictions.

easy as A.B.C.

A) good clean DIET: if you can catch it, kill it, pick it, and clean it - then you could (probably :) ) eat it. Eg: Chicken, fish, beef, eggs, pork, fruit, VEGES!, sweet potatos, instant oats, brown rice, olive oils, fish oils, avacados, etc

Lay off the sugars, fruit juices, alcohol, sodium-rich, thick sauces, deep fried, white rice/bread, and pastas.

Adjust calories to weight goals.

B) WEIGHTS: learn how to perform the following exercises with proper form.

1. Squats (works the largest muscle of your body ie legs, back, core)
  2. Deadlifts (legs, back, core)
  3. bench press (chest, arms)
  4. Overhead press (shoulders, arms)
  5. Chin/Pull ups (lats, arms)
  6. Bend over rows (back, arms)
  7. Lunges (legs)

C) H.I.I.T: on the bike, or the treadmill or better yet up a steep hill. :)

And NO, you will not look like Arnold Schwarzenegger the moment you touch a weight! Its quite frustrating hearing someone tell you they'll get huge by lifting weights as if its that easy!

Anyways google it, youtube it and hopefully have some fun with it. :D

+1 to wiseguy for probably being the first person to mention squats, deadlifts etc on the thread. (If someone else has already made mention of it, I'm sorry, the thread is getting too long at 10 pages!)

And HIIT too.... he is spot on.

It really is as simple as ABC, although like property investing there are a few subtleties involved if you want to delve into it.

I have spent a lot of time reading and learning from an Aussie fitness forum which is to fitness, as Somersoft is to property investing.... PM me if you'd like the link. Seeing people achieve their full potential in their health and fitness is a great passion of mine....... someday I will enrol for a Cert III/IV to be a personal trainer. I don't run the forum or have any affiliation with it, but I do spend heaps of time on it just like SS :D

B) WEIGHTS: learn how to perform the following exercises with proper form.

1. Squats (works the largest muscle of your body ie legs, back, core)
  2. Deadlifts (legs, back, core)
  3. bench press (chest, arms)
long term, even 'proper form' full rom BPs damage the anterior glenohumeral ligaments, glenoid labrum, and supraspinatus and long head of biceps brachii tendons. This is in a general population, let alone one with compromised subacromial space and hyperplasia/spurs of the acromion. The human body didn't evolve to do weekly bench press reps with heavy weights.

1. Overhead press (shoulders, arms)
moderate levels compromise the rotator cuff and subacromial and sub deltoid bursae....the original poster suffers gout and will have significant deposits of uric acid crystals in joint capsules and ligaments. doing the exercises listed here is very likely to cause gouty arthritic inflammation and moderate joint damage.

1. Chin/Pull ups (lats, arms)
the pronated grip of pull ups also compromises the rotator cuff.

1. Bend over rows (back, arms)
These are extremely dangerous for the majority of the population. Those who are able to sustain them over time are in the minority, and are causing repetitive microtrauma of their L3,4,5 discs....no exericse is responsible for causing permanent damage to so many backs. there is a process of attrition of people who do these. Apart from this, anyone with spondylolisthesis, sway back, moderate to severe scoliosis, sacralization, ankylosing spondylitis, or previous lumbar disc pathology/trauma, should under no circumstances do this exercise.

1. Lunges (legs)
these aren't necessarily safe for people who have been sedentary and obese for >6mths or have a history of knee trauma. the articular cartilage of the patellofemoral joint will suffer significant wearing, as will the menisci and tibiofemoral joint capsules. people with genu valgus and varus are also prone to dislocating their knee caps if they attempt to do these without appropriate supervision after assessment.

C) H.I.I.T: on the bike, or the treadmill or better yet up a steep hill. :)

this is definitely contraindicated for anyone with uncontrolled hypertension, arrhythmia, or chronic obesity and inactivity. see my earlier posts for why...

Squats and deadlifts are also dangerous for deconditioned bodies.

Just as some people are genetically equipped to be good tennis players, cricket batsmen, mathematicians, etc, some people are genetically better equipped to do the above resistance exercise......though most aren't.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in offering the above advice. In fact, I can make a good living from people who perform these exercises.

So Winston, in regards to your post above, what alternative exercises do you recommend to give the muscles a good workout, especially for those that want to add size (muscle size)?

Regards
Marty

Back