Diet, Exercise and Weight loss - help!

Wow I've just finished reading all 15 pages of this thread and am feeling inspired. NOT so inspired that I'm going to read weight loss forums, but maybe just contribute to this thread.

8 years ago when I was 30 I was a bit of a gym junkie - weights 3 times a week, cardio 3 times a week and one night off. I LOVED it. I am 5'3" tall and back then I weighed 55 kilos. I was NEVER able to get beneath 55, so I figured that was the 'correct weight' for me. I was vegan back then, so I never had to diet, being vegan kinda forces you into eating healthy most of the time since crisps, chocolate, cheese and most bread was off the list.

I then got married and stopped going to the gym. I gave up veganism and went vegetarian and now I'm 64 kilos.

I'd like to get back to 55 kilos and have just pulled the Wii Fit back out recently. I made a deal with hubby that I would clock 5 days x 45mins of Wii Fit for a month and once achieved I could get a gym membership so fingers crossed I pull it off soon because I definitely remember weights being my favourite thing 'back in the day when I was fit and trim'.

At the moment I'm doing 10mins of yoga followed by 30mins of step and 5mins of balance games to wind down. I know I should vary but I find the step program really challenging - trying to get 'PERFECT' on each step and no I haven't achieved it (yet) but I'm close and won't give up on step until I get a perfect score :)

Calorie counting isn't an option for me - I eat out a lot due to the work I do. I don't have the time or patience to cook. When hubby is home he makes high calorie meals and throws extra cheese into the big pasta and risotto dishes. When I'm home alone I'll either make half a pizza or east cereal with soy milk. Tonight I ate a fruit salad and some nuts for dinner.

I know fruit is a carb and therefore apparently on the 'no no' list, but surely it's better than my usual options right? I HATE beans and most proteins are meat based so it's VERY challenging for me to even get half the protein I'm supposed to eat.

Anyway, I'm going to try just exercising and only eating fruit and nuts 5 days a week to see it that works (eating whatever I want during the day). Exceptions made when I have to eat dinner out obviously. I have NO idea if it's going to work but it will be interesting to find out!

If anyone wants to share Wii-Fit recommendations I'd be grateful. I bought Wii-Fit Plus but haven't tried it out yet - I'm not allowed until I get a perfect score in Step!

Wow I've just finished reading all 15 pages of this thread and am feeling inspired. NOT so inspired that I'm going to read weight loss forums, but maybe just contribute to this thread.

If anyone wants to share Wii-Fit recommendations I'd be grateful. I bought Wii-Fit Plus but haven't tried it out yet - I'm not allowed until I get a perfect score in Step!

I only have WiiFit Plus, and I find the jogging (island lap) and the boxing are the best things for aerobic exercise.

Pen

So, have you done a proper birth notice anywhere, so we have all the details..

Oh, and spend the money to get new bras! You'll feel so much better. You need all the support you can get! :D
Sort of announced in the off-topic thread lol ... 4th of July baby boy of totally average dimensions :)

Bras are horrendously expensive. They start at $100 here and only juuuuuust come in my size in the specialty stores. Store singular in South Australia, there's literally only one shop in the entire freakin state. I ended up getting some from the UK last time at about 60 or 70 pounds each. For some stupid reason it is almost impossible to get anything above an F cup in Australia in the smaller band sizes, if you want a H or I you are pretty much forced to import something, especially if you actually want choice of colour.

Edit: missed this one ...
Just random info: Go check out Harbour Town if its not TOO FAR of a drive from where ever you are in the country. My partner usually goes shopping there for hers, especially seeing as they will have the same pieces as Myer/other stores for half the price minimum.
Myer and other stores don't stock my size ... Myer's range is actually really pathetic and their service is terrible. Like I said, I can't get a bra for under $100 unless I get it from the UK.

How is everyones weight loss going??

I'm half way to goal weight! So very happy :)

I am a lot more confident. Have a lot more energy. I feel like I am alive again! Been going out a lot more. Made new friends and strengthened friendships. Have started to date again. Feeling so happy now. I used to spend so much time on SS. Now i'm spending most of my time socializing in real life and also with all my mates on facebook. I'll lurk every now and then here on SS but other things are taking up my time and I find I dont have as much time to post anymore. :( There are threads on here I haven't had time to read. I'm on holidays in a week and I'll be visiting a bit more and catching up on old/new topics. :)

Still love property and will buy again in 2012 but not as obsessed. More balanced now. As soon as I hit goal weight in a few months time I will have to try hard again to start saving madly for my next ip. I havent been spending crazily or anything, I have been spending freely on healthy foods such as fruits and healthy takeouts, not worrying about a budget etc. Treated myself to a brand new $1 K bike as a reward for losing the weight. That has been my only large expense.

This year I have paid off my $5 K stamp duty loan nearly and also have spent $3,800 holding costs on ip #1. My savings are going down. Down to around $9 K now. When I buy again in late 2012 my aim is to have around $20 K in savings. So I'll have to get strict again on my budget. I've been looking at ways to increase my cash flow.

First and most important priority is to hit goal weight and that is all i'm focussed on atm!!

Joined the gym early 2008 as a tiny 55kg, 18 year old.

2.5 years on, through busting my guts in the gym and eating proper high quality foods (and a huge quantity of them!), I'm now up to 77kg. Target weight for me is 85kg but keeping body fat % at about 7-9%.

Regardless of which direction you want your weight to go, 60-70% of the battle is diet. Motivation and adherence to a set 'program' of exercise is the other 30-40%.

Great to hear some of the stories on this thread. Congrats all.

Steve

Big bowl of porridge for breaky, salad sandwich for lunch and get into the green vegies for dinner and excercise for 1 hour every day. Good luck

I've let my weight blow out again over 9 months of staying up late following the US stock market.

Have cut back recently from that and am getting out on the bicycle more. Trying to do 200km a week. Did a night ride last night with some B Grade racing cyclists. 50km return trip Toombul to Sandgate. Several had Ay Up lights which are essential for 30kph+ night riding. At Sandgate, they had fish and chips. I had fish and salad. :) Averaging 1kg wt loss a week.

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to say that I have lost 18kg since I started the thread last Feb. From 110kg, I'm now 92kg. Actually, I have achieved the 18kg before winter started and it got a bit too cold for me so I started eating more (but NOT much more than needed). I've also lowered the frequency of my exercises to thrice a week compared to 5-6x a week when I started. So it felt like I was on maintenance mode during winter (3-4 months). However, summer is fast a approching and I think I need to lose 7-10kg more then maintain the weight as much as possible.

I eat a more normal diet now (but more protein than carbs and sugar)... and treat myself once a week. The real culprit was rice especially in the evening... Now, if I wanted to eat rice it has to be just a handfull... not even a cup!

My BP, cholesterol and ggt have also all gone to normal. ;)

I've been on a junk food diet for about 1 month now.
McD, KFC, other junk daily, averaging about twice a day.
Bad, I know...
No exercise in this time too, but do a little physical activity at work.

Feeling a little fatigued at times though.
Must get back into a healthy diet and some exercise to wake the body up again.

The point is, I have lost about 5kg in this time without even trying and am as lean as I have ever been (via dexa scan), quite vascular at the moment.

Pretty much comes down to eating less calories than you expend everyday to lose weight, so simple.

Joined the gym early 2008 as a tiny 55kg, 18 year old.

2.5 years on, through busting my guts in the gym and eating proper high quality foods (and a huge quantity of them!), I'm now up to 77kg. Target weight for me is 85kg but keeping body fat % at about 7-9%.

Regardless of which direction you want your weight to go, 60-70% of the battle is diet. Motivation and adherence to a set 'program' of exercise is the other 30-40%.

Great to hear some of the stories on this thread. Congrats all.

Steve

Well done on your gains, a good solid 20kg.
Why do you want to stay such low body fat while gaining, it's a slow process that way.
7% is absolutely ripped, pretty much ready for a bodybuilding show, and extremely difficult to stay at such low levels, when cutting, let along gaining...

Well done on your gains, a good solid 20kg.
Why do you want to stay such low body fat while gaining, it's a slow process that way.
7% is absolutely ripped, pretty much ready for a bodybuilding show, and extremely difficult to stay at such low levels, when cutting, let along gaining...

Ace,

Thanks for the kind words. It's a goal of mine to compete properly one day, it's just very rarely a level playing field. Natural bodybuilding contests are never just that.

In terms of the BF%, my metabolism has a lot to do with my ability to maintain these low levels. Growing up with ADHD, my metabolism has always been through the roof. As a result, it's carried over into my training/progress. I generally work on eating 7-8 high quality meals a day. My body churns through this to supply the necessary nutrients to the muscles for growth/repair, but luckily, doesn't allow for the production of lipid. I think the strictness of the dieting also has a significant impact. If I was eating KFC and McDonalds every day, then perhaps it may be a different story.

Even though I said 85kg was a goal, I'm not so much interested in the 'weight' side of things. This is why I put the %BF in my first post. I'd rather be 80kg and 7-9% BF (and look like I'm 85-90kg+) then being 90kg and looking bloated and 'watery'. I'm sure you know the look I'm referring to. I'm interested in vascularity and muscle definition, NOT just purely mass. For me, the gym is about improving the aesthetics and life balance, not just increasing my weight on the scales. It's a huge misconception of a lot of people I know. A very good bodybuilding mate of mine who I train with who introduced me to the gym has always said "It's not about how much you bench, its about how much you LOOK like you can bench". Plenty of wisdom in that statement IMO.

Cheers,
Steve

A very good bodybuilding mate of mine who I train with who introduced me to the gym has always said "It's not about how much you bench, its about how much you LOOK like you can bench". Plenty of wisdom in that statement IMO.

Cheers,
Steve

This is true if you want to be just a bodybuilder.
Some will say bodybuilding is a pointless endeavour.
They will say "What's the point of looking big and strong if you're not?"

I would presonally prefer to be strong and have functional strength than to just be big.
Of course, a good physique is often a side effect of strength training (not bodybuilding) with a suitable diet.

I think a basic guideline for considering yourself strong is:
Bench 1.5 times bodyweight
Squat 2 times bodyweight
Deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight

Alot of bodybuilders wouldn't be able to do this.
However, even some untrained people could do this.

But bodybulding is all about image, mirror muscles.
Nothing wrong with that if that's what makes you happy and satisfied.

Good luck with your goals.
Maybe you can become the Mr Natural Olympia.

Well done.

If I'm not careful you'll overtake me. I got under 70 (just) for the wedding then slacked off a bit so for the last 5 weeks I've been in a holding pattern. :D

I was going to go shopping but thought I'd go through my wardrobe to see what I had first. I found lots of stuff I haven't been able to wear in years so only needed a few tops.:D:D Might throw some fat clothes away now.

Need to up my exercise. I'd like to lose 2-3 more kg then I can relax over Christmas and when I go on holidays next year. Cruises are not good for dieting.:D

This is true if you want to be just a bodybuilder.
Some will say bodybuilding is a pointless endeavour.
They will say "What's the point of looking big and strong if you're not?"

I would presonally prefer to be strong and have functional strength than to just be big.
Of course, a good physique is often a side effect of strength training (not bodybuilding) with a suitable diet.

I think a basic guideline for considering yourself strong is:
Bench 1.5 times bodyweight
Squat 2 times bodyweight
Deadlift 2.5 times bodyweight

Alot of bodybuilders wouldn't be able to do this.
However, even some untrained people could do this.

But bodybulding is all about image, mirror muscles.
Nothing wrong with that if that's what makes you happy and satisfied.

Good luck with your goals.
Maybe you can become the Mr Natural Olympia.

I agree to a certain level. However, people who 'look big and strong' have had to lift damn heavy weights in the past to look that way. This, coupled with consistent dieting and downing a truckload of high quality food. You don't just bulk up by lifting 5kg dumbbells or doing body weight squats. With this being said, I think it depends on your goals. For me, it's always been about hypertrophy as opposed to pure strength. I don't wanna stand on the beach in Summer looking like ***** just so I can say to anyone who will listen that I can bench X amount of weight. I'd prefer my physique to do the talking instead.

I train to improve the aesthetics of my physique, not to be a strong man. As a result, the structuring and specifics of my training represent this fundamental goal. I was never that strong to begin with, but I am disciplined and I never give up. These are traits that have assisted me in achieving the results I currently have. The weight is important for progression purposes, but I'm not too worried if guys in the gym lift much more then I do. The person really laughing is the one that looks 4x better when they're both seen out at a club together.

Cheers,
Steve

Well done on your progress steve!
Can I ask - did you consult a doctor/dietition before starting your weight gain? Do you have any tips for keeping the costs down in preparing 8 meals a day?

Back