Difference in Housing Data?

Hi guys,

I found a pretty good guide done by fairfax on property prices containing historical long term capital growth by suburb in nsw and vic. Check it out http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Guides.aspx (the first link 2006 sydney property guide).

Problem is historical suburb growth prices here are different to www.hompriceguide.com.au (i was intersted in my particular suburbs cabrammatta and potts point).

Any takers on these huge discreptancies?

Like cabramatta units in the guide are 6.5% pa and on homepriceguide.com.au its 11.3% pa??? Whats going on?

Sonic,

So what period of time did each of these sources consider 'long-term'.

You can make a toad into a prince - or at least a nicer-looking toad - by selecting a different time period for the statistics.

It also depends on how they measure the statistics, monthly, quarterly or annually.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Aceyducey said:
Sonic,

So what period of time did each of these sources consider 'long-term'.

You can make a toad into a prince - or at least a nicer-looking toad - by selecting a different time period for the statistics.

It also depends on how they measure the statistics, monthly, quarterly or annually.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Good point I recall they are both 10 year histories. THe only difference I can see is that one was measured to beginning fo 2006 and the other to August 2006 (today).

But that wouldn't explain a difference of 5-6% per year compounding growth over 10 years...

A couple of possibilities are
1) price vs. value. An increase in median price of units sold in the quarter may not mean an increase in value of the established units. For example, a whole lot of upper class brand new units may get sold in a quarter bumping up the median price, but that does not mean the established units have gone up in value.
2) a subset of sales vs. all sales. For example some base medians on only auction results, others use all sales, others use only sales financed through a particular bank.

Ideally I want sources that use median values rather than median prices and all sales rather than a subset.

Back