Difficulty in finding tenants for a Sunshine Coast IP

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=54036276&s=qld&tm=1234435751

Hi there
I notice that Triton more recently had some problems with getting a tenant for his property in Sydney

We are having a similar problem with a property at the Sunshine Coast.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for us?

There are some problems with the property in that it doesn't currently have storage for outside items (which we have offered to remedy via a lawnlocker) and unfortunately there can't be pets - one of the other owners in the complex objected to our former tenants minding 2 cats for the tenant's mother who was receiving treatment for cancer in hospital at the time.

thanks in antication of your replies

Hi there Kathryn
it is the normal body corporate rules that applies - which state you have to have the approval of members of the body corporate for pets. The particular lease did provide that the tenants were not to have pets - so they were given an infringement notice - but still it was very hard in the circumstances.

We actually don't mind people having pets so long as they do ensure no damage is done to the property - and many of our other properties - the tenants do have pets despite the no pets clause in the lease - they have just been put on notice they will be responsible for any damage caused.

thanks

Raddles

I think half of the problem is the wording in the add
What is this?
"We recommend that you have a drive past the property to see if it is suitable" ...blah blah blah :eek:

How about the good old fashioned way to rent a place out?
i.e they call up your PM, he tells them about the place and invites them to come in & show it to them.

If your place doesn't have the best external/street appeal
and you don't do the talk you could be waiting forever. :eek:

Your PM is polite but does not seem interested or he/she is too busy to be bothered with phone calls. IMO go get yourself another PM

thanks BV

yes we are definately considering the option of another PM and have approached one recommended by a forum member - who has offered to take it on board if they get us a tenant

We have definately had some inspections and one unsuitable application - but the only feedback about the property is that some people don't like the curtains on the cupboards (we didn't do that by the way - it was done by the previous owner) - I think we are at the right level with the rent (we have actually dropped it from the previous rental received) - so if there is no other comments about the presentation of the property - can only think that it is the PM
thanks

but the only feedback about the property is that some people don't like the curtains on the cupboards (we didn't do that by the way - it was done by the previous owner)

Hi Raddles,

I was going to post that last night but got too late. So from my perspective 3 things:
1. Curtains on cupboards - kitchen & bathroom
2. Wooden toilet seat
3. Advert wording about driving past - already mentioned

All the best with it.

There are two exterior shots but no way of knowing if any are of your unit. Your ad mentions a garage but one shot is of a carport and a flight of stairs.

Your ad mentions a courtyard, surely a shot of that would be a good idea, also one exterior shot of your unit.
Marg

gawd 934 visits and no takers yet.

The photos are bad and as mentioned don't show the features mentioned. It looks like you have a tiny carport and have to walk up a big flight of stairs to get to your place.

The copy is way too old fashioned.

If I were you I would list it immediately with another PM and get a new revitalised ad on the internet. Maybe pay about $50 I think to get the "top spot" for a week. This is where your ad sits right at the top of the list with a border around it, so it stands out.

The curtains on the cupboards are ridiculous in a modern looking place like that. You need to put some proper doors on and yes please replace that wooden toilet seat as it also looks out of place in the fairly modern looking bathroom.

You need to act NOW to get this done and hopefully if your rent is at the right level you will get it rented out.

The curtains on the cupboards are ridiculous in a modern looking place like that. You need to put some proper doors on and yes please replace that wooden toilet seat as it also looks out of place in the fairly modern looking bathroom.
I'd also get a carpenter to fit some doors, he should be able to match the colours and while he is doing that, get a mixing water tap and ask him to fit it.
Bunnings sell some stainless steel plugs you can put to close the 2 holes from the old taps.

Yes, the photos are awful; what's with a photo of a driveway and carport? :confused: Yet nothing of the living room (showing how spacious it is!), or the previously-mentioned courtyard.

Personally, I'd also replace the old stove, but I'm admittedly a bit inclined to want everything new-looking. :)

Good luck!

Stove doesn't look old to me, but the cupboard curtains are a worry. I can just picture all those creepy crawlies walking and doing their business on everything. :eek:

My first impressions was look at those stairs Yuk and then the creepy crawly thing.

Lots up here to rent at the moment, especially in Buderim. Last 2 years PM's have been telling me that their Landlords were selling up, so there was a huge shortage of rentals available. I am guessing in this market there is more available to rent as they weren't selling.

Good luck

sunshine

Hi there
thanks all for the comments

can I just say we have had applications but not suitable applications - given the remaining units are tenanted by usually single older people - we are trying to find someone to fit in

we have spoken to another property manager over the weekend - and I am hoping we may reach a satisfactory conclusion and get someone suitable in
thanks

If they can pay the rent, and otherwise acceptable what difference does it make if they are the same age.
They just may want a quiet place to live themselves.

Hi there
unfortunately the applications have been from parents with young children - which would be a problem in the unit complex as the other people are older - our particular unit doesn't have a bath nor a secure area for children to play (as the advertised courtyard is open)
thanks

Its seems to me that your property is only suited to a small number of people, I agree that better photos may improve your result, but as the property is not suited to all-comers there is not much you can do.

I don't think fixing the cupboards or changing the property in any way will increase your chances of finding a tenant.

You should go to your agent and advise them that due to the property remaining vacant you wish to get other agents involved and which ever agent is able to let the property will get the management.

Back