Digging out swim pool

Would anyonehave a rough idea of how much it would cost to dig out a tiled inground pool of approx 10mts x 5mts and a little spa at the end.

Its inn a vacant block next door to a house and I want to build on it so it would need to be compacted well. I imagine you would have to do that with a machine of some sort and it wouldnt be able to get into the pool to start compacting. I wondered if I could just fill it in but the compaction issue is a problem. Also wondered if I could use it as a cellar

Would anyonehave a rough idea of how much it would cost to dig out a tiled inground pool of approx 10mts x 5mts and a little spa at the end.

Depth ?

I had a similar sized hole needed for a pool with a depth of 1.8m at one end. Cost was heavily dependent on access. Its far cheaper if a huge machine can sit beside the hole and just dig and dump onto a tipper and drive away and back etc.

Our access was a 900m width through garage. So we needed a narrow access excavator with low height. Hence a smaller bucket. So it took three days. The spoil had to be trolleyed to the truck. More effort = more labour = more cost.

Then the quote was for soil etc. Extra for rock. A lot extra. Our top one inch was soil. The rest was solid rock. Slowly chisseled like a stonemason. So we paid around $9K.

I'm actually in the process of getting a pool filled/removed at a property.

Basically two options (this is the info I've received, hope it's correct).

1. Fill it in, only need to crack the bottom for drainage and fill it up. Depending on access anywhere from $5-$8k. I was told you cannot build on top of this.

2. Demolish it. You can generally build on top of this if it's been compacted really well. Quoted anywhere from $9-$13k.

The one I've got is on a main road with very tight access, which means it's more expensive and also means the heavy trucks need to use the driveway (which is another possible expense to repair).

I want to build on it so it would need to be compacted well.

I believe you may need to have the fill engineer certified if you which to build over the old hole due to the possibility of subsidence. Check with your council.

As for cost, from previous discussions both here and other places the above guide of $10K is a good rough average cost but as your on a vacant block with probably easy access and with most of the pool staying in-situ as "fill" therefore requiring less fill and minimal dump fees I would say you would expect to be on the lower end of the average.

Back