Digital SLR Cameras

Hi dwv,

I'm a semi pro photographer and use a Canon EOS 40D but as many here have said...it's the 'glass' you put in front of the camera body that counts.
My lenses will last a lifetime but I will go thru many camera bodies.

And you need to know composition as well as many many other skills required to output truly great photos.

This will not happen overnight and takes alot of patience and study to get there...but once you turn out your first decent pic you will be hooked , line and sinker...:)

The kit lenses are not good quality but with some post processing can become decent quality lit photos. Post processing is a necessary step in digital photography and can be directly compared to the same steps taken in the old film labs/darkroom.

I have included here one of my photos taken with the Canon 40D with 17-40mm L lens ($1000) and 3 stop grad filter plus ND400 filter. Pretty much straight out of the camera with small levels adjustments in photoshop.

The ND 400 filter tricks the camera into thinking it's darker than normal (by 9 stops of light) allowing a longer shutter speed and therefore blending in the wave action on the water helping to make the rocks standout more. Whilst the 3 stop grad filter covers up the sky portion by 3 more stops of light helping the camera to even out the exposure across the whole scene and therefore avoiding the sky to be 'blown' out with overexposure.

Again, lots to think about and learn to get all this right but you will get it eventually.
Key tools for top quality photos:
* Good quality camera and lenses.
* Use of filters to get even exposures.
* Good quality post processing software eg: Photoshop, Capture One
* Tripod for slow shutter exposures.

If you wish to see more of my photos click here:

Enjoy !

south_point.jpg

Interesting water effect Thorpy.

My son does similar:

4243485689_53296cab5d.jpg

He uses a Canon EOS 30D. This is with a 24mm lens.

Don't let it get to you like this tho:

3955621594_a0bd0e0098.jpg

BTW: That's not my son. LOL

What good glass means

This is one I like by No 1 son. Taken with a Canon 100mm F2 lens he loves.
3138144134_23b1f0db5f.jpg

Twas taken inside at a boxing day jam session. Opens the aperture wide to get enough light that he doesn't use flash but cuts the depth of field down for effect.

Nice shot and lovely composition Thorpey. I see you use the 1/3 rule to good effect there.

Sunfish, that short depth of field on the guitar shot is what makes it. Would be a pretty average shot without it.

Nooice!!

Wow... great shot Thorpey! And also a great one from your son, Sunfish!

I tested my camera today and results are pretty average. I'll try to read on composition and post-processing... there's really a lot more to learn. I think it will take me years before I can create a good one. If I'll be able to take a decent one I'll post it here for comments.

thanks for the comments Ev, Sun & dwv

dwv....head over to www.potd.com.au for a look and do some research on the forum there...plenty of great honest advice from many experts in the game who are willing to help.
And PM me if you get stuck on anything related...;)

thanks for the comments Ev, Sun & dwv

dwv....head over to www.potd.com.au for a look and do some research on the forum there...plenty of great honest advice from many experts in the game who are willing to help.
And PM me if you get stuck on anything related...;)

Thanks Thorpey! I'll collate my shots from today and maybe send some to you for comments later on. But right now I have to read, apply, practice.

Well DWV, you've just cost me.

I'm not a keen photog and only have a "happy snaps" digital which I seldom use. (The kids have always got it anyway) Trouble is I can't take photos of coins or birds and that's about the limit of my interest.

So I checked and a Pentax digital still has a "K" mount so I can use the lenses which came with my film camera so I just bought a K 100D body only on eBay.

Thanks for prompting me. :)

Well DWV, you've just cost me.

I'm not a keen photog and only have a "happy snaps" digital which I seldom use. (The kids have always got it anyway) Trouble is I can't take photos of coins or birds and that's about the limit of my interest.

So I checked and a Pentax digital still has a "K" mount so I can use the lenses which came with my film camera so I just bought a K 100D body only on eBay.

Thanks for prompting me. :)

Haha... Sorry about that Sunfish! :D

That was quick! I've been wanting to buy since last year but just recently decided to jump in (finally!). I don't have much disposable cash so anything more than 1K I consider an investment. I think long and hard (but go crazy most of the time) before I finally decide :p.

Interesting website, thanks. He's a rather opinionated sort of guy, not all of which is balanced or I agree with. For example, he has a whole page raving about how much better shooting with film is than raw digital, but doesn't mention that film and processing costs a significant amount of money, which digital doesn't.

GP

The reason for 35 mm vs Digital is discussed here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm

Cheers :)

I think this pretty much sums up his attitude:

Film: The Immortal Medium of the Masters. Digital: Profit center for large foreign corporations.
While I agree with quite a bit of what he says, particularly in relation to the technical superiority of film, some of his later arguments are a little over the top. And some are just plain wrong. For example:

You'll never accidentally erase a roll of film
Tell that to the people I've seen it happen to.

In the end I think it comes down to what you want out of your photography. If you're a pro and want high, commercial-quality photos, then sure, shoot on film. If you're not that serious, I'm sure you'll be happy with what you can do with a decent DSLR. If you want the best of both worlds, do both.

GP

Back