Digital TV antenna

With the roll out of digital TV and the winding down of analogue, is the landlord responsible for upgrading to a digital ready antenna? The antenna now installed works fine and may or may not be suitable for digital.

Tools

I hope not. Would cost a fortune for some. My IP is in an area that has such poor reception that to upgrade to a digital antenna would entail putting in a 20m tower at minimum. We tried very hard to get digital just on a pole on the chimney (maybe 12m up) and failed. I had a satellite set top box for the tenants but it fried in a storm, probably should get them a new one come to think of it.

I think our area is either the first or damn close to it to be cut off analogue. When does it turn off in your area?

Last research I have done with anttenna leads to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a "digital antenna" it is a marketting pitch. If you have a working antenna, all you need is a digital tuner which can be in the form of a set top or the built in ones with the current LCD TVs.

Depends on your area, if you've got great reception on analogue, digital should Just Work, its when you have a bit of snow on analogue you're going to get really ratty digital and really need to get something better. If you have dreadful snow you can sort of watch analogue but digital Just Won't Work. Digital is a bit binary, either the picture is perfect or its not there.

Set top boxes are cheap as though, nothing wrong with being a nice landlord and tossing your tenants a $50 set-top box for Christmas if it comes up :)

You are correct in that if you have issue with your analogue tv to begin with putting a set top box is a 50/50 ie it would work or it wouldnt. My comment was more directed to people thinking putting in a "digital antenna" would give better or clearer picture which is false.

The last place we lived in (which is now our one of our IP) had snowy pics, etc when we were watching tv with analogue tuner. A few months before we moved, wife decided we "needed" a new LCD tv. So when we bought one with a digital tuner, it was installed we had perfect pictures and also able to watch HD channels straight away after tuning setup.

i use rabbit ears with a booster works fine

signal booster will help

ps. used to fit antenna's as a job

my tv is a set top box and a 1920 x1080 pc monitor 24 inch wide screen $215

had to set top box already so monitor cheaper than new tv same size

As has been said before, usually an existing antenna will work.

You are more likely to need to upgrade the cable from your antenna to the TV/set top box to Quad Shield Coaxial Cable to prevent any interference.

Digital TV is less forgiving with bad reception.

Slanting off topic here, but do new houses come with antennas or is that yet another thing you need to read 50 pages of small print for only to find one isn't included?

just gotta find where the antenna is mentioned
If the contract says 'x' antenna points, than all you'll probably get is 'x' points.
If it says wired points, then you'll get that.
If it says antenna wired to 'x' points, then you're good.

Digital tv transmission ranges from approx channel 9 & 10, up to around sbs/channel 28 & 31. Allthough thats in melb anyway, i don't think other states are much different.

So if you can get those channels ok, digital will be fine.

Back