Dilema - Christies Beach in SA or Umina Beach inNSW

Im based in Sydney and looking at two Ip's and cannot decide which area has the most potential capital growth. Christies Beach in SA or Umina Beach inNSW.

Looking at places in the early three's, being based myself in NSW makes Umina seem the obvious choice but I've heard good things about Christies Beach, both seem ok and are relatively close to the cities.

I'm in a dilema - If anyone has a view I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks

Peter

Adelaide has what - 1M people?
Sydney has 4M or so.

Sydney has had / is still having a boom.
People priced out of Sydney look to areas about 1 hour away.
Umina fits this bill :) You'll probably get quicker CG in Umina IMO.

Distance Umina to Sydney is approx 90K's.
One hour?? will take your word for it. :)

Distance from Christies Beach to Adelaide 25k's 30 mins. This area has had a good run of CG recently though - perhaps it's gone off the boil a little?

I have a relative who's just moved to Umina Beach. I was surprised at how undeveloped it is....kind of like The Entrance or Terrigal in the 70's.
There are quite a number of houses with granny flats, where you could get good rental rtn as well as capital growth.
Pen

Distance Umina to Sydney is approx 90K's.
One hour?? will take your word for it. :)
Yes, 58 minute train trip from Woy Woy to Pymble (suppose it depends on your definition of 'Sydney' :))
Or 1hr 13mins to Central on train.

Distance from Christies Beach to Adelaide 25k's 30 mins. This area has had a good run of CG recently though - perhaps it's gone off the boil a little?
I meant no disrespect to the people of Adelaide. But just answering the OPs Q of most potential for CG (in the immediate term). Long term I think they will both do well being near the beach. Although Umina will always have a larger population base to draw from in nearby Sydney.

Thanks Everyone

I think I will make a stretch and go for one each - if I can find the right properties. Both areas seem to stack up long term.

Thanks again

Pete

I lived in Adelaide for a few years, though much closer to the city than Christies Beach. I have family in that area though and used to go down and visit them regularly.

The problem with the area mainly is it's distance from Adelaide. This is currently being reduced (no they're not relocating it lol) by converting all the intersections on South Rd to being over/underpasses to make the journey much quicker. There's a trainstation nearby and the shopping complex has recently been overhauled / extended.

Majority of the people that live in the area, from what I could tell are babyboomer generation and owner occupiers. This is good because they're the people that like to overcapitalise on their homes and improve the value of the whole suburb.

Also, from what I've heard, Panorama Tafe might be closing and some students will go to either Noarlunga or Richmond depending on their course. This might make some people move a little closer?

In nearby Christie Downs, they've recently made a smallish development out of the old school yards. It looked like houses were popping up on there like rabbits, not sure if this is good or bad for values of the rest of the area.

In saying all of this, I know nothing at all about Umina. Get one of each :p

Just make sure you get an up to date s149 certificate for any properties in and around Umina. Gosford Council in the last month have updated their planning certificates to include a notation on propoerties which may be affected by sea level inundation (Climate Change). Its up to you whether this will affect your decision making, but something to make sure you have the most up to date information on. A certificate which is just one month old may be out of date already.

If it makes you feel better, I have a unit in Christies beach (south of beach rd) and i've just put an offer in on one in Port Noarlunga.

Theres a nice bit of development going on in Christies too at the moment, fancy apartments at $450k + a pop, and the espy is having a facelift.

Theres talk of a tram system going up Beach Rd to Colenades but how much truth is in that i don't know.

Thanks Again Everyone

Its great to hear all the feedback about Christies and Umina - from what I'm reading I'm now thinking Christies may be the better opportunity.

Cheers all

Pete

I have this one on the market at present if anyone is interested. 100m walk or paddle on your surfboard to the beach.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-umina+beach-106478029

The market is slow up there and has been hit by the recent interest rate hikes.

Its a low income area with lots of people on benefits, high unemployment, retirees, social problems etc...but physically it is beautiful.

Damn POA ads whats the price range?

what rent is it achieveing right now?

I agree. POA's are a pain.

Sale range of $600K - $650K but the market has slowed significantly there lately. Was originally listed at $679k, which is too high for the current market.

Got an offer of $612k yesterday. Try a bit harder for your $20k Gail. :rolleyes:

As for rental, it was never an IP. Its an ex PPOR and has been a holiday house for the past year or so as we have moved to Sydney.

Damn POA ads whats the price range?

what rent is it achieveing right now?

How about just down the road from Christies in Seaford? Prices have tripled in the last 10 years (dropped slightly in the last 12 months) but you can still get a 3/4 bedder on a 600m2 block for about $300k.

It is at the end of the southern expressway which has just had construction started on it to make it a dedicated 2-way highway to Adelaide, the train line is being extended to Seaford from Noarlunga (federally funded in this year's budget), has the Seaford shopping centre, or the Noarlunga one just next door, it is 5-10 minutes from McLaren Vale and all the wineries, 25 minutes to Victor Harbour and right on top of Moana which is arguably one of Adelaide's nicest beaches.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing, there may be lots of reasons against it, but it's a suburb I have been thinking could be a winner. Not sure what the vacancy rates are like...

Back