Diploma Financial Planning (DFP)

I'm looking to complete my DFP part time externally.

Anyone completed this and recommend a good institution to go through?

Thoughts?

Did you get much out of it?

I'm not necessarily going to go into FP but believe it will benefit me in my current role and future roles.

I'm wanting to complete some further education whilst still working f/t, my employer should hopefully sponsor me for the study as long as its relevant to banking & finance and obviously have to pass :)

I can't recommend any particular institution that you'd have immediate access too, I did mine through an independant head group which was sponsored through Kaplan.

I worked on Financial Planning as an addition to mortgage broker but found it just got in the way. In many respects I don't believe in a lot of the products being sold and whilst I know a few FPs that I trust, the industry does have a mecenary attitude about it.

FPs are very useful for strategic planning from a structure and tax persepctive. Invaluable for risk mitigation and personal insurance. The problem is a lot of people want them for wealth creation purposes, which is not really what they do, they have no realy control over the delivery and they don't educate people away from that.

In many respects I don't blame the FPs, I blame the regulation around them, the lawyers that make the regulation unworkable and the product providers that take massive amounts of money but don't deliver.

As a result, I wouldn't recommend for someone successful in finance to expand into planning, instead I'd suggest developing strategic alliances for when the need arises. This will develop a better service and overall result to your clients.

I still think it's worth doing the diploma and I did get a lot out of it. It'll give you a better understanding of various investment options available, as well as strategy and risk management. The advice you give around mortgages will probably improve just on the basis of a better understanding of the broader financial landscape.

I did my Dip Financial Planning with McMasters (same people as Dover). It was very good, but mainly structured reading - you need to be dedicated to finish it.

McMasters is good because you don't have to pay until the course is finished! They also have Super and SMSFs as a standard component of the course. I found that other providers didn't have the SMSF unit included.

I think it is worthwhile doing the course, even if you never intend to act as a financial Planner.

If you actually want to work as a FP down the track, I'd go with Kaplan.

Potential employers will look down at some of the other providers.

Kaplan took over from FINSIA who took over from the securities institute (I think...)

I wouldn't do it just for personal interest, I'd only do it it I needed it to progress my career.

If you actually want to work as a FP down the track, I'd go with Kaplan.

Potential employers will look down at some of the other providers.

Kaplan took over from FINSIA who took over from the securities institute (I think...)

I wouldn't do it just for personal interest, I'd only do it it I needed it to progress my career.

After speaking with different groups this seems to be the one to go with. I will look into Kaplan. Thank you.

It is to progess the career inside my current employer and give extra opportunities if I decide to work elsewhere :D

I did it - very easy and I found it completely short of the skills I would expect of a FP. I am not sure it will benefit you particularly much

I did it to give myself more career opportunities about 3 years ago but by doing it made me realise that I don't want to be a FP. I found it very interesting and learnt quite a bit but that's all I'll ever get out of it.

Back