Disconnecting the electricity

Hello Forum Members

Our tenant has been three months overdue in bills and i am getting extremely frustrated on her excuses and disrespect. I wish to disconnect the electricity but not sure if i need to write her a formal letter on the specific date of termination. Also what time frame is needed legally when i notify her ?

If anyone can be of assistance i would be appreciate it greatly..

ok I'll play along... why is the power for your tenant connected in your name?

Its easier when we change tenants as they tend to delay things with disconnection whether they forget or just to lazy. So we just offer them the service and they pay us when the bill is due

whenever you offer a service you need to be rewarded for effort and risk. these people are abusing your good nature.

for goodness sake, disconenct the power and let these grown adults look after themselves

as for medical blah blah, it is up to the occupant to notifythe elctric board if they have such a requirement. You are merely closing an account. it is up to the power co to decide whether to cease supply

If it were me in that situation, I'd write a final notice of intention to disconnect ... allowing say 14 days to pay all arrears in full. No other options offered, no payment plans nothing.

Then if not paid, I would ring up and have it disconnected.

But it wouldn't be me in that situation as I wouldn't put the power in my name, I love my credit ranking and won't allow others to muddy it.

as for medical blah blah, it is up to the occupant to notifythe elctric board if they have such a requirement. You are merely closing an account. it is up to the power co to decide whether to cease supply

In which case they would be very brave to cease supply, and if they decided not to, then the bill still comes to the owner no?

whenever you offer a service you need to be rewarded for effort and risk. these people are abusing your good nature.

for goodness sake, disconenct the power and let these grown adults look after themselves

Am i legally bound to give them two weeks formal notification or can I just set a specific date and disconnect. We been paying for them and they owe us more than $800

Seems crazy you have it in your name in the first place. If they were 3 months behind in their rent would you let them continue living there or evict them? Are the conditions of this electricity thing firmly down in the lease?

Seems crazy you have it in your name in the first place. If they were 3 months behind in their rent would you let them continue living there or evict them? Are the conditions of this electricity thing firmly down in the lease?

Its written in the lease. They used to live next door so we been lenient

So as I understand it, it is written in the lease that the power is connected in your name. Is it also written in the lease that they will be responsible for paying the bill?

If so, they are in breach of their responsibilities according to the lease document and should be dealt with accordingly.

If not, then you have got yourself into a very ordinary situation. Next lease document, make sure it doesn't happen.

I don't think there is any time limit that you would need to specify that you are going to disconnect. It would only be what you are comfortable with and what you deem as fair warning.

So as I understand it, it is written in the lease that the power is connected in your name. Is it also written in the lease that they will be responsible for paying the bill?

If so, they are in breach of their responsibilities according to the lease document and should be dealt with accordingly.

If not, then you have got yourself into a very ordinary situation. Next lease document, make sure it doesn't happen.

I don't think there is any time limit that you would need to specify that you are going to disconnect. It would only be what you are comfortable with and what you deem as fair warning.

thank you for the helpful reply :)

Hello Forum Members

Our tenant has been three months overdue in bills and i am getting extremely frustrated on her excuses and disrespect. I wish to disconnect the electricity but not sure if i need to write her a formal letter on the specific date of termination. Also what time frame is needed legally when i notify her ?

If anyone can be of assistance i would be appreciate it greatly..

I have an electrician friend who had tenants who hadn't paid the rent for a month in an older house at Moree NSW.
Apparently the fuses in his meter box were hard to get,he went in there one day and removed them.They moved out a week later.:p

In which case they would be very brave to cease supply, and if they decided not to, then the bill still comes to the owner no?

no - at least in WA - they can't stop you closing an account. they usually leave the supply on for 3 or 4 months on the assumption that someone else will probably connect up an account for that address.

Back