Disconnection ???

Morning All

With renting out our flat, do you disconnect all the utilities or leave them on for the new tenant? I have been told by the Agent to leave them on? What is the normal scenario?

Smiffy

Morning All

With renting out our flat, do you disconnect all the utilities or leave them on for the new tenant? I have been told by the Agent to leave them on? What is the normal scenario?

Smiffy

Most utilities companies don't physically disconnect the services.
You should however close your account for that property.
If you don't, then you will be paying the bills for the new tenant if they don't notify the utilities company.

Cheers,
Nick

Contact the Utilities companies and communication companies and arrange for final accounts, then follow up and make sure it has been done.

I did this with one of my IPs only to discover 4 months later that the Gas/Electric was in both names and I was receiving the bills. It became a nightmare trying to get it corrected.

Chris

Contact the Utilities companies and communication companies and arrange for final accounts, then follow up and make sure it has been done.

I did this with one of my IPs only to discover 4 months later that the Gas/Electric was in both names and I was receiving the bills. It became a nightmare trying to get it corrected.

Chris

Wasn't Origin, was it?

Electricity companies are now doing disconnections on some properties, due to no compliance of AS3000 and Service Installation Requirements.

They wont reconnect power until they have been repaired.

Cheers
Darryl

Electricity companies are now doing disconnections on some properties, due to no compliance of AS3000 and Service Installation Requirements.

They wont reconnect power until they have been repaired.

Cheers
Darryl

Darryl

Could you please explain?

Cheers

They do it so the mains and meters are up to current regulations and to insure they will handle future demands.

Its only happened once to me, and another sparky that i know has had it happen a few times.

also it might just be happening in Victoria

Hope this clears things up a bit

Cheers

Morning All

Smiffy

I would assume you want your flat to present in the best possible light for inspections. Therefore in order to do this you would want power to be on.

The second you approve a tenants application then get everything disconnected and make sure you follow up with the power company to confirm this has occured. Plenty of times they stuff it up and don't do this thereby giving your tenant free power until this gets fixed!

Back