Discrimination

I found an apartment in a block in Brisbane that I was quite keen to buy and made a couple of offers and one was accepted. At the last minute, the seller decided not to sign, then moved the property to another real estate agent. I renewed my offer to the new agent and now the seller will not sell to me (seemingly at any price). I think some sort of weird discrimination by the buyer might be going on as the block of flats is a pretty tight knit community. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Discrimination is a pretty strong word. I think it gets thrown around way too much, people seem to use it anytime a decision goes against them.

Maybe there is a reason your offer is been declined such as terms of settlement. Is your offer conditional on anything such as a building and pest inspection? Do you know the length of settlement that the vendor is looking for? Perhaps there are other reasons.

Maybe there is another reason that has nothing to do with your offer at all. Does the owner live in the block and want an owner occupier rather than a rental?

There are plenty of other fish in the sea, I would recommend moving on. If you are really set on this property you need to ask what the vendor wants as it may be non monetary.

It's all about the vendor. They don't want to be liable for any additional commission to the previous agent.

Consider using a buyers agent if you're that keen.

Because you were introduced by the previous agent, if the owners sell to you, they may have to pay commission to both the new selling agent and the previous selling agent. It all depends on what was on their contract with the previous agent.

They do not have to but it is worth a try.

I had to do this for my PPOR as the vendor took the listing from the agent and it worked.

They do not have to but it is worth a try.

I had to do this for my PPOR as the vendor took the listing from the agent and it worked.

Nice to know. Thought they would at least want something given their work has resulted in the lead which won the sale. Good to see people aren't just driven by greed.

I thought of this, but would how would the buyer's agent get around the first agent wanting a commission. It would be my name on the final contract wouldn't it? If they would somehow make that go away I would seriously consider using one as I believe they seller would take a lower offer at this stage.

You may be able to buy in a trust in QLD, and still get a decent lad tax threshold. Not sure on costs to setup, but that could be a way to buy under a different name (entity).

Back