Disputing electrical invoice to fix issues caused by electrician...

Back story: We had 3 LED downlights installed in PPOR to replace 1 old flouro fitting.
After that, we noticed some channels on tv dropped out when those lights were turned on. Wasn't a problem before.
Reported it to the installing electrician, who came back, spent several hours 'investigating', said he'd never experienced it before.
I googled it and found plenty of reports of ppl with similar issues (not with the same electrician) attributed to some brands or specific globes/ transformers.
I suggested changing globes and transformers to different band and see if it resolved it. He said no and decided to fix it by putting our tv antenna on a higher pole. This did take away the problem due to stronger tv signal not being affected by the noisy lighting circuit

At the time he told me he was going to do it and I verbally said 'okay'. but he never mentioned any price for this work.

Now 6 weeks later we've received an invoice in the mail for ~$1000 for this work - including 10 hours labour ( for 'fault investigation' and mast installation) plus materials, call out fee... what the?!

I can see we have ended up with a better tv situation, and I am prepared to pay something towards that, but given this was a fault created by the lights he installed, I don't think we should be charged like this. It would have been far cheaper to swap out globs and transformers, or even to have the mast installed by someone else..

thoughts on the situation and how to resolve?

Last edited:
if you provided the materials- unfortuantely its not his fauly

if he provided the materials - id tell him to go jump off the tallest eletrcial pilon

Back