Distance Ed, Open learning

Hi I did search but didn't find any former posts from anyone about Open Learning or Distance Ed. I've found a course called Introduction to Financial Planning (RMIT) which costs about $1000. The full diploma course looks like it would really be too much for me but I'm wondering if anyone else has done similar.

I'm a stay at home mum so it's really got to be via the internet for me, I can't see myself getting to uni on a regular basis. I've got my VCE and gone to TAFE but for a different area. Do they accept anyone, ie no background in Fin planning?

Any thoughts? All appreciated...

I think Open Learning is an absolutely awesome concept!
CD the diploma course it's not very difficult and I'm sure it would'nt be "too much" for you (or most people).
It may take some time to finish, but time is a different matter.
Keep in mind that you have ample time to finish the course at your own pace with most distance/online learning courses.
You'll find that a whole CERT IV in financial planning willl cost ~$500, and a diploma ~$1500.
So you really need to workout what the end goal is, ie are you wanting generic knowledge or a bit more in depth which requires much more time & $$.
Either way it's look like an interesting course and will get 12 credit points towards any qualification you may wish to obtain in the future.

You may also want to enquire as to how those courses link, ie will how much advance standing do you get if you do FNP11 into a diploma course and vice-versa.

Thanks for the reply P B. I must be looking at something different because I though the diploma ran into the thousands! And yeah, it said you can take up to 6 years to do it! heck I'd be just about the big four o by then!

When you say Cert IV, is that via TAFE or Uni? It seems to cheap for Uni.

The end result I'm hoping for? Well enough knowledge to be my own Financial advisor and know enough to go confidently into the share market, maybe commercial property etc (the big stuff I mean).

Possible employment one day in the field IF my interest holds and it dosen't get too heavy with numbers and complicated mathematics.

Really I need to keep the brain ticking and not going so mushy with being a stay at home mum (which I'm not bagging, I just need something other as well).

Hi Casserole Dish,

Basically anyone can do the Diploma or Cert IV Course.

I have completed two Certs by correspondence and have also started my Diploma for Financial Planning with Pinnacle Financial Services. It will cost approx.$1700 to finish.

I don't seek to work in the industry, only to understand most Financial products and Asset Classes in a much broader sense.

$1000 sounds expensive for an Introductory Course?

Your decision on what course to take should be based on what you want to do with it.

"The end result I'm hoping for? Well enough knowledge to be my own Financial advisor and know enough to go confidently into the share market, maybe commercial property etc (the big stuff I mean)."

Your statement above suggests you should do more than an introductory course.

BTW- There is nothing wrong with a SAH Mum, I am one myself and it is amazing what you can achieve if you really want to.

Good Luck!

Regards JO

Take it slowly

Agree with PB and Jo.

Distance learning is flexible and can be tailored to suit your circumstances.

Whilst in a non-financial discipline, I finished a Masters Degree some years back through UNSW. Bulk of work was by home course work (books, articles and some online work) and occasional intensive onsite workshops (as my discipline was emipirical and required applied concepts).

Take your time. I started thinking I was only going to do a Grad Cert, then took it to Grad Dip then thought, why not a Masters. Whole thing took three years.

People usually over-estimate what they can achieve in one year however completely under-estimate what they can achieve in five or ten years

Good luck :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to do a bit more research on this as so far I only looked up the Open Learning website. I didn't realise there are more options out there. I saw an ad for seeklearning.com.au (I think that was it) so will have a rummage there.

I'll report back once I've done more 'homework'...

P.S. Thanks for the encouraging words guys, they mean a lot coming from you three. :)

$1000 sounds expensive for an Introductory Course?

Josko that's a university level course and if you look at the outcomes it covers the whole cert IV and some:
https://www.open.edu.au/wps/portal/...MtMz8_Qjg4ESyRlBqcWlOSXF-gXZiUlVqZGKAMt5MNY!/
i. Understand the meaning of personal financial management and establish a model on which a personal plan can be built.
ii. Understand concepts associated with portfolio theory.
iii. Appreciate the various economic, political and regulatory factors influencing the financial planning environment.
iv. Analyse and measure the risk and return of investments.
v. Evaluate the quality of advice provided by a financial planner.
vi. Appreciate the effects of taxation and social security on the personal financial planning process.
vii. Examine the advantages and disadvantages of gearing an investment.
viii. Examine the advantages and disadvantages of the various forms of investment and discuss their appropriateness.
ix. Understand the place of insurance in personal financial management.
x. Explain the purpose of superannuation and retirement incomes policy.
xi. Outline the role of estate planning for personal financial management.
xii. Develop a financial plan and strategy for an individual.
xiii. Critically evaluate a financial plan.

It's a little more intense than the community college courses at the library lol

I think it will be a great course to do. Maybe look at the Diploma of Financial Planing. In the course there are four subjects. Overview of Financial Planning,, Insurance, Superannuation, Investments.
This will really help you with your wealth creation ideas.

I hink a big plus is that many employers look at this course as a positive. If you wanted to reneter the workforce you could potentialy start in say client service and move up ery quickly with that course.

Ok the Diploma of Financial Planning looks good and there are a few places offering it. I've been looking at Pinnacle and Kaplan Professional (that was through the seek website) and they look similar.

I'm liking the idea of multiple choice open book exams! And I'm leaning toward Pinnacle as it's all online, even the exams.

Getting excited actually...

With reference to the Open Learning intro course, it still looks good and is on my short list (for all the reasons PB outlined).

Next year my daughter starts school and my little man starts 3yr kinder so I could get something like this happening.

This is very interesting, I'm looking to do a course soon...and Financial Planning might just do it for me...:) So who have you decided to enrole with CD?

Hi Andrew, I'm leaning toward Pinnacle because price wise they all look similar but Pinnacle you can do indivdual parts (but pay more that way ofcourse) so it's a bit more flexible for me initially as I'm not sure how much time a week I'd be able to devote to it.

Pinnacle is slighter cheaper than Kaplan. Also at Kaplan you have to go the city for the exams, not a major problem but much easier with Pinnacle doing them over the net. AAMC looks excellent, especially if you want to do more than one thing ie. the package deals. Really the only other deciding factor was that Pinnacle has a South Melbourne office and AAMC is based in WA. Again, not a major problem but I have to decide somehow.

So I guess it all depends what you want to do, how you want to do it etc but that's what I'm looking at. :)

Now I'm just trying to decide when to start my course, whether to enrol next year or use the motivation I have now. AAMC seems to be a good one to go through, as you said with the package deals. All online stuff is what I am after!

Goodluck with it all!

If your looking at the Dip FP to break into the industry, go the Kaplan course. This is the respected course amongst the financial planning industry.

Thanks Shane that was a question I meant to ask, whether the industry recognised one over the others.

I don't really know if I would work in the industry though, I'm just not that into maths to be honest. And I'm more a care for you, emotional, nursey kinda person. I'd be happier on the reception desk.

With Christmas I must admit I've put this all on the back burner but it's definately something I'm looking to start in 2010. What about you Andrew?

Christmas has also put things on the back burner. We are also moving into our house in January aswell, so another thing to get sorted out before I do the course. Thinking of actually doing the course Shane mentioned, but it probably won't be until probably mid 2010.

Definitely focused on doing the course though! :)

Kaplan looks good but I don't think it can be done via correspondance can it? Had a bit of a search on the site...maybe I just can't find what I am after.

Back