DIY Garden retaining wall

Hi Guys.

My PPOR garden retaining wall, one piece of it has snapped off and I have left it there far too long

Now the question is, how hard is it to either fix / rebuild a existing retaining wall? It is made of timber incl the joints

Second question would, cost? roughly

Thirdly, how hard is it? Or is it something for the pros to come and help

I will take a photo and post later on

Thanks

It should be quite easy to fix. Go to Bunnings, Masters, hardware store or timber yard and buy another piece. They will even cut to size. Remove old broken timber and replace with new....nail it or bolt it. You might have to shovel away some dirt but its a pretty straight forward job costing leass than $50 IMO.

It should be quite easy to fix. Go to Bunnings, Masters, hardware store or timber yard and buy another piece. They will even cut to size. Remove old broken timber and replace with new....nail it or bolt it. You might have to shovel away some dirt but its a pretty straight forward job costing leass than $50 IMO.

Hey Datto, I have seen some people even pour cement into the stumps, is this necessary? Or just simply nail it down and bolt it
Also, is it worthwhile putting draining rocks etc.. on the side for prevention?

Generally behind a retaining wall it's ideal to have free draining material with an ag line at the bottom which goes to your stormwater. This stops excessive moisture sitting against the back of the wall and causing damage to it.

Generally any of your posts (i.e. members which run vertically) should be cemented in to the ground a good way down.

All of this depends on how big the wall is, what angle it's at, local ground conditions.

Got a photo?

As per TV LW.

When you said one piece broke off I was't thinking it was a post. But doesn't matter, just a bit more work.

Draining rocks + ag pipe = more work = more $.

If the retaining wall was holding up OK I'd just return it to its original condition.

Photos attached guys. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20141008_175708.jpg
    20141008_175708.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20141008_175644.jpg
    20141008_175644.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 20141008_175651.jpg
    20141008_175651.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20141008_175658.jpg
    20141008_175658.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 60
The retaining wall is heavily weathered and I wouldn't waste my time trying to repair it. Time for a rebuild.

Tools

The timber seems standard size , you used to be able to buy a H section from
bunnings that you just sledge hammered into the ground and slide the sleeper end sections into.
If they are treated pine maybe just recut the damaged ends off and reuse, but make sure
you spray any new cuts with the proper spray treatment for treated pine.

Hi Guys, if I decide to redo something like this, how difficult is it to put up a similar timber wall? and also a rough cost?

Sorry if this all sounds noob

You should also consider the reason for the wall failure, it seems to be a combination of the footings for the wall being to shallow along with the selected timber used.

The footings normally are as deep as the height to be retained (see basic design image below)

http://imgur.com/oALUO8D

I think H4 treated pine for external & embedded use at a minimum would suffice.

Good read below which gives you all required information:

http://www.timberqueensland.com.au/Docs/News and Events/Events/ColinMacKenzie_durability.pdf

From the attached image you will be able to workout the materials required, your biggest expense would be labour.

Back