DIY Kitchens

Hi,

I stumbled across
www.smartpackkit.com.au and found their assembly instructions.

Looks interesting. Who here has assembled flatpack kitchens and what mistakes have you had that I could learn from?

What are the cheapest flatpack kitchens around?

Regards
Michael Gruber

Hi Michael,

I've never used a flatpack kitchen because the price for a complete kitchen is not all that cheap.

I usually purchase kitchens from Paradise Kitchens in Wetherill Park http://www.paradise-kitchens.com.au/. They have a number of designs for under $2,000 with 20mm Granite or Formica type benchtops.

They can arrange delivery at a reasonable rate and can point you in the right direction for a granite guy.

Regards

ANdrew

Hi Michael,

I did a flatpack kitchen recently.. I didnt find it hugely challenging despite feeling somewhat daunted by the task.. my kitchen was L Shaped which make things much easier..

What did I learn?

1. Order the benchtops as soon as you can.. they can take weeks to be made..

2. Don't trust the whackers at Bunnings (for eg.) who tell you "its all in stock!, just come in and pick up what you want!"..

3. Have a way of deaing with waste.. the volume of rubbish you generate from the packaging etc is enormous.. the foam is especially problematic..

4. Get the best quality cordless drill money can buy and have a second battery on charge at all times. USe the clutch mechanism on the drill to ensure you dont overtighten screws... have really good quality screwdriver bits and have some spares.

5. You CAN do pretty much the entire job alone but it really pays to have someone to help lift the overhead cupboards into place.

6. Plan the electrics well in advance..

7. Do the flooring first and then put the cabinets on top of it.. I tiled.

8. Read the instructions religiously.. I didnt realise the feet provided support for the kickboards and couldn't work out why they thought it was so important the feet were placed so precisely :)

9. Make a template for the placement of the screw holes for handles.. a bit of masonite or something with holes exactly in the right place that you can clamp to each door and get the holes in precise locations.

10. Get a bucket or something and keep every screw etc.. you'll use them eventually..

11.. Still cant work out how to put drawer fronts on accurately.. I ended up using double stick tape to temporarily hold them whilst I drilled screw holes.. and its still there :)

12. Clean up every day.. vacuum etc.. keep the job site as neat as possible..

Here's the one I did:

Before:

BeforeKitchen.jpg

After:

ScaledCheckplatekitchen.jpg

Last edited:
Great job on the kitchen, Duncan. It's quite a difference from the little kitchenette you replaced. I appreciate the easy steps you listed for guidance. :)

Arch Doorway

Hi Duncan, great job!
I notice that you squared off the doorways.
Just wondering what material the walls consist of?

I have just purchased a unit in a block of eight, of 70s decor and styling. the block is concrete construction, with a couple of arches that would look a lot better squared off.
Dont know if I can fiddle with the concrete though...

Any ideas?

Hi Duncan, great job!
I notice that you squared off the doorways.
Just wondering what material the walls consist of?

I have just purchased a unit in a block of eight, of 70s decor and styling. the block is concrete construction, with a couple of arches that would look a lot better squared off.
Dont know if I can fiddle with the concrete though...

Any ideas?

Thankfully.. the internal construction was just wooden stud walls with gyprock.. made it easy.. I'd hate to have to square off concrete block arches.. but if you're happy to make the mess go hire yourself the petrol concrete saw and get stuck in :)

Arches, in the wrong house, can really cause a place to look quite dated..

Nice work Duncan and a very good reply to the question on DIY kitchens. I have nothing to add but I didn't think the price was great so the saving wasn't that remarkable. The thing I like is being in control for the 'tradesman' bit. You don't have as much trouble managing the plumber, electrician and carpenter. By installing the kitchen yourself you may save time and get the IP in the rental market again.

Hi Michael,
2. Don't trust the whackers at Bunnings (for eg.) who tell you "its all in stock!, just come in and pick up what you want!"..

love it ,love ,love it ,finally some sense ! especially when it comes to kids offering advice for renovations ???????????????

Don't trust the whackers at Bunnings
Hehe

I'm not sure if I could ever take the advice from one of our local Bunnings people.

With a little finger, and a portion of his hand, missing, I'd suspect I don't need to take lessons in operating a circular saw from him :(

Hi Duncan

Great work with the kitchen as a DIY. I am also in the process of needing to redo one in a unit.

With the layout are they a standard pack or can be modified.

Where did you go to organise.

Cheers
BC

Hehe

I'm not sure if I could ever take the advice from one of our local Bunnings people.

With a little finger, and a portion of his hand, missing, I'd suspect I don't need to take lessons in operating a circular saw from him :(

i did a cnc course at the local further education college in 1998 and remarked to the teacher (who had 3 fingers on one hand and 1 and 1/2 fingers on the other hand missing ) that i thought that with his obvious qualifications showing i wondered if he should he be teaching me about the safe operation of machines ,needless to say he took an instant dislike to me ,funny about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Hi Duncan

Great work with the kitchen as a DIY. I am also in the process of needing to redo one in a unit.

With the layout are they a standard pack or can be modified.

Where did you go to organise.

Cheers
BC

Hi Crusher,

Go to Bunnings.. they have a good glossy brochure on the flatpack kitchens.. shows you how to plan it all.. its like lego.. The brochure has a peice of graph paper and a stack of stickers representing all of the different size cabinets.. you peel them off and stick them on the graph paper to plan your kitchen.. mine was L shaped, with an Island.. so it was easier than most.

Back