DIY replacement of vinyl/lino flooring? Please help!!

Hi,

My husband & I are finally purchasing our first IP & need to do a small reno!

Amongst some other things, we need to replace the flooring in the kitchen, bathroom & laundry. It is a small area. A 2 bedroom unit but we have no experience!

There is a concrete slab underneath & the lino is lifting.

How do we replace it? Do we need special tools? Is it an easy DIY job or should we pay someone to come in? The thing we are most worried about is the old glue. What is the best way to remove that?

Any advice most appreciated!

Above Average

If it were me, I'd pay someone to take up the old stuff and relay the new stuff. The guys have a tool that looks not unlike a shovel only sharper and straighter. It removes the old stuff lino/vinyl and the glue and levels out the surface. Then more new glue and lay the new stuff

the job itself is easy
what kind of lino are you thinking about, 1 piece cut to size, or the one that comes in pieces?
i was recently renovating my IP and decided to put a wood like lino which comes in pieces. took me about 2 days, as i had to cut them to fit because the walls turned out to be not parallel :rolleyes:
next day i couldn't walk, the back of my legs was hurting a lot :)
and i got pretty high on the glue :D

but the floor looked good :)

http://www.tdconsulting.com.au/Reno/after/IMGP3348.JPG

yes the job is easy to do i have done it myself plenty of times before. If you havn't thought about it you can actually leave the old lino down. If it has any lifing areas or divets out of it you just glue the lifting down and you can then fill the divets. To do the job u will need a vinyl Knife its a curved blade with a wooden handle Bunnings sell them for under $5.00. You will also need some clear silicone to seal the edges( this is needed if you want to loose lay your vinyl alot quicker to do if you are using good quality vinyl) when you loose lay your vinyl you dont glue it down. You only silcone the edges with clear water barrier silicone this acts as the glue because it is put just under the edges therefore sealing it. Any other questions ask me as i said i have done this job alot soo feel free to pm me any more questions

personally, I value my health far too much to touch the stuff. I'd call an asbestos inspector to check the vinyl and concrete slabing and take samples to be tested. Then, depending on results, might get an asbestos removalist in. In the good ol days most vinyls had asbestos backed sheeting as it was good for waterproofing and insulation (thats why they're heavily used in wet areas like kitchens, laundries, bathrooms, downpipes, electrical switchboards,...) - or so I've been told :D

Thanks everyone for your input.

As it turned out the job was very easy.

The old vinyl wasn't glued down at all so we easily pulled that up & used it as a template for cutting the new vinyl.

Much easier than we anticipated!

Toylux95, I couldn't find that vinyl knife anywhere in Bunnings. We used a sharp stanley knife instead.

Above Average.

JumpinJack,

We chose to relay vinyl as we were working on quickly tidying up the appearance of the property in the shortest time possible. We have tried to keep reno costs down.

Also, although i agree that tiles can look better, in this situation it was not going to increase the amount which the property would rent for.

Definitely something for us to keep in mind for the future.

Thanks,
Above Average

And how about cheap tiles in Adelaide?

I've heard that if the lino is well fixed to the floor, then it's fine to whack the tiles on top :D Any experience or knowledge on this guys & girls?

I'm gonna have to find me a good renovation forum... any recommendations?

Alot of questions i know, but don't forget that all answers are tax deductible!

And how about cheap tiles in Adelaide?

I've heard that if the lino is well fixed to the floor, then it's fine to whack the tiles on top :D Any experience or knowledge on this guys & girls?

I'm gonna have to find me a good renovation forum... any recommendations?

Alot of questions i know, but don't forget that all answers are tax deductible!

Hi,

I visit these forums and find them quite handy:

http://www.renovateforum.com/index.php
http://www.woodworkforums.com/index.php
http://forum.homeone.com.au/index.php

Cheers

FirstMillion,
Try Carpet Giants at Salisbury or Morphett Vale for the Vinyl. They also have "tenant carpet" - cheap as, bullet proof (wash with bleach) and looks good. My tenants love it.

Vincenzo,
Try Evans & Clark auctions at Cheltenham if you want something plain. They also do on-line auctions. The other one I have used is Tile Wizards. OH is currently looking at some floor tiles at International Ceramics, Glynde for our PPOR (10 yr plan) reno. The particular ones we are interested in are cheaper than Bunnings but better quality.

Regards,

Project 1080
The project: 10 IPs n 80 mths.

Back