DNA Ancestor testing

I was chatting to some Americans about having a test done just for interest to see what my make up is . Looked at 23andme.com but is there somewhere in Aus that could do it for me ?

Just thought it might be something interesting to do .

Just discovered this, which isn't really helpful, but thought was pretty cool. Seems you can turn your DNA in to artwork.

dna_art3.jpg

I was chatting to some Americans about having a test done just for interest to see what my make up is . Looked at 23andme.com but is there somewhere in Aus that could do it for me ?

Just thought it might be something interesting to do .

Not something one would want to do if you lived out the back blocks of Nimbin or Tasmania just prior to Fathers Day,you may find out something that was buried in the backroom a long time ago..

I have used familytreedna.com and found them excellent. We were able to resolve a > 200 year-old paternity riddle. :)

I have used familytreedna.com and found them excellent. We were able to resolve a > 200 year-old paternity riddle. :)

Hi Perp . What did it cost ?

I'm just interested in the ethnicity's than make it up . French , German , Yakut , Iceland Polish , Russian or what ever ..

Hi Perp . What did it cost ?

I'm just interested in the ethnicity's than make it up . French , German , Yakut , Iceland Polish , Russian or what ever ..
It depends how many markers you want tested. We did y-DNA testing, which starts at $169. It gives you info re ethnic origins, but obviously only for that one line (i.e. a tiny portion of your overall ancestry).

You can do the same for your maternal ancestry via an mt DNA test.

To fill in all the other branches of your ancestry, you need to find the appropriate relatives who share a line with you.

So to find out about your mother's paternal ancestry, you could get your mother's brother or father tested. To find out about your father's maternal ancestry, you'd need to test your father's sister or mother. And so on.

23andme is available internationally. Highly recommend it.

I had my DNA genotyped a while back through them.

Fantastic service. Though I was 95% interested in the health and trait stuff when they were still allowed to provide it. The data they were allowed to show (correlations, references studies etc) linking genes to health factors, risks and traits was invaluable and I have made changes in my behaviour, habits and also noted to regularly check for things I am at elevated risk for.

The FDA have been total dicks to 23andme and banned them from sharing that information. Until further notice.

Anyway, initially I was shown as 99.6% European, 0.4% unknown.

They've added to their database of genetic info and the 0.4% is accounted for now.

image.png

You can even see which components of which chromosomes are from which regions.

I would post some of my health related stuff, but the internet is a rather permanent place and one day, this info will impact insurance.

For fun I did my entire family on 23andme - four generations on one side and three on the other. We've found relatives close enough to us through the site who have completed gaps in our family tree for us and I also found out I was carrying two wonky genes - one that is the cause of deafness in newborns a lot but luckily recessive. Also I have at the top of the charts for Neanderthal DNA lol. Looking at the health stuff across generations was cool - can do all sorts of neat things comparing grandparent to grandkid and trace the flow of a single set of info. Now of course it is only ancestry stuff but that is still interesting and I sometimes chat to randoms around the world with .5% shared DNA (3-5th cousin I think that is) and we try and work out how we are related.

Back