Do houses with bungalows attract more rent?

I've just purchased a 3 bedroom IP which has a decent size bungalow in the backyard(1 bedroom with toilet and shower).

When marketing this property for rental, should I market it as 4 bedroom and bump up the rent by $10-20 per week or market it as a 3 bedder stating that it has a bungalow in the backyard and price it like a similar 3 bedroom home.

Firstly I would check with the council as to the status of the "bungalow".

As Propertunity said, you may be able to rent it separately.
Marg

Why can't a bungalow be rented out separately if you have reasonable tenants who can work together to get a good deal? Surely there's no law against this....One can increase one's return on a property by 30% or more by renting out a bungalow.....if only the tenant in the main house would allow it and work together to split power, electricity, gas.

I guess it'd be best to install separate power, gas water for the bungalow. How much would this cost? Any ideas? This is an area I've always wanted to visit.

Not rentable?

It is against the law unfortunately. Has to be a separate house\unit to do it legally. Probably doesn't stop the tenant from sub letting it out though which sux.
Don't, cause I notice you live in Victoria. I have another house in a different council all together and their rules are the same.

Does this mean that you can't rent a second building on your residential property in Victoria?

I was pondering the economics of building a self-contained 'granny flat' on an unsubdivided block and simply renting it whilst I live in the main house.

Does one need to speak to the Council about this (the renting) or is it a 'blind eye' thing, or is a definite 'no-no'.

Last edited:
Does this mean that you can't rent a second building on your residential property in Victoria?

I was pondering the economics of building a self-contained 'granny flat' on an unsubdivided block and simply renting it whilst I live in the main house.

Does one need to speak to the Council about this (the renting) or is it a 'blind eye' thing, or is a definite 'no-no'.

Surely if it is your PPOR, having a granny flat in the back yard and renting it out is no different from having a "boarder" who lives inside the main house?

Can't see that it is any of the council business if it is your own PPOR.

Its like telling the council every time cousin Bill from the country stays at your house when he is in town, or your kids have sleep overs..."excuse me council.. There will be 6 seven year olds staying on the 24th and aunty Joan and uncle Bill will be staying on Saturday night if they drink too much "happy punch" at my BBQ".

Back