Do houses with granny flats = more rent?

Hi, I've been painting and cleaning up one of my investment houses in Frankston which I was going to sell, but after spending the last 3 weekends there, I'm going to hold. It's got so much potential. Who knows when it will take off, but when it does, hold on.

Anyway, this 3 bedroom property has a double garage as well as a 2 bedroom granny flat with shower, toilet and vanity. The agent told me that a granny flat won't influence rental. I find this a bit hard to believe, as there's another two bedrooms and 2nd toilet\shower which really makes it a 5 bedroom\2 bathroom house. I would have thought an extra $30 a week at least? He's valued it at $320 per week, but I was kinda hoping for $350.

I can't rent it out separately without making some serious changes to the property which I'm not prepared on doing.

What are your experiences?

That's similar to my mate's experience we discussed Sat night. Has a very large house and land with a VG flat attached under. Very separate. Access etc...

All agents told him he could get higher rent for house without the GF as nobody paying $800pw+ wants an intruder. They reckon the $180pw for the GF is lost on the $200pw drop in rent for house if its occupied. Three out of three agents in Castle Hill NSW said same. However they did say that if they find a tenant specifically with a older parent/s etc then they may pay MORE to have all these features. This is often desirable in some suburbs with Chinese, European families etc Suggested it could take a long time to list and fill and he is in a high Chinse (high income) area. They felt if his total rent was $750-$900 it would be easier but maybe 60+ days to get the $1000pw + it deserves.

His GF is very high quality and well integrated into the house (under). House has 3 car garage with one isolated for the GF use (if needed) and separate access to yard etc.

He and I both felt that in lower rent areas it may be less an issue.

Just our thoughts over a few beers.

It just isn't the norm in some suburbs.

Sometimes this isn't a bad thing as you will be first in the market.

Back