Do I have to pay ??

Hi guys,

I bought some tiles the other day and the store put $22.42 into the eftpos machine instead of $224.

The Invoice I had then said paid in full $224 and $0 owing.

I have since picked up the tiles and they are installed.

Today I got a phone call from the tile shop wanting me to pay the difference, admitting they input it wrong.

Am I within my rights to not pay the difference ?? or do I have to , given it was their error.

Any ideas ?

thanks
julian

Check what you actually paid, and if it's incorrect, pay the difference.

Doing the right thing improves our world, one little bit at a time.

If you paid in full and only delivered 10% of your order would you go back? Thought so.

Head back and pay what's due.

Can't believe you would even ask!

pinkboy

Am I within my rights to not pay the difference ?? or do I have to , given it was their error.

I don't think you have to pay no.

Hopefully though all the tiles crack and start falling off within 6 months and you have to redo everything again costing you double because that's what you deserve. :D

Reactions: neK
I don't know what the legal answer is, but clearly the right thing to do is to pay the difference.

As Pinkboy says, what if they only delivered 10% of the tiles. If you signed the delivery slip confirming full delivery you'd still expect them to send the rest.

I guess I should have been clearer......

I am only unwilling to co operate because the rep who rang me in regards to their mistake accused me of being deceitful and the the issue is "verging on theft".

When I didn't even notice the error until I checked the bank receipt after they mentioned it. So I don't like being accused of such things, therefore are more than willing to be as difficult to deal with as possible.

I am only unwilling to co operate because the rep who rang me in regards to their mistake accused me of being deceitful and the the issue is "verging on theft".

When I didn't even notice the error until I checked the bank receipt after they mentioned it. So I don't like being accused of such things, therefore are more than willing to be as difficult to deal with as possible.

I don't think you have done the wrong thing. I just think that, regardless of the behaviour of the rep, you should do the right thing.

Perhaps explain that you didn't notice until you checked the receipt, but now you know and are calling to pay the difference. I'd also tell them you don't appreciate being accused of theft. If the rep gets cranky at you, tell them you will only pay if you can deal with the manager.

If this is the case, that you were accused of deception or theft, when you were not aware of the salespersons mistake, then I agree you should demand an apology before paying the money owed.
Request the manager to call you to explain the situation, as nobody should be accused without full facts being known first.

You have to pay

You appear to be relying on the fact that the invoice is being labelled as full paid, however all they have to do isbl change the payment amount to reflect the actual payment and then you will have an unpaid invoice

If they didn't pick up on it and you didn't tell them fair enough, we've all done this before but they did pick it up

If you feel like their attitude sux which I agree with, maybe take two months to pay it off

well that's whats in the process of happening, I am waiting for a call from the management. Not really from my request though. That's what I was told from the rep on the phone, "expect a call from Management"

I came on here to find out where I stand before speaking to them.

Considering its 400 dollars, I would just pay it if you are in the wrong.

Think about it, business these days are doing it tough too, and they have family and kids to feed too

Like what marg have said, "what goes around comes around"

If you knew that you only paid 20 bucks for those tiles instead of been 200 bucks, I am not even sure why you would consider dodging it,
Be a man and pay up

Today I got a phone call from the tile shop wanting me to pay the difference, admitting they input it wrong.

Do the right thing and pay up, it is a moral issues someone made a mistake
and now they realise it and ask you to come up with the differences.

they aren't asking you to pay more money, what you doing is robbing them of their earnings.

Karma do exist if you robbed someone intentionally it will come back and cost you ten times more

well that's whats in the process of happening, I am waiting for a call from the management. Not really from my request though. That's what I was told from the rep on the phone, "expect a call from Management"

I came on here to find out where I stand before speaking to them.

Sounds like the rep has a really bad attitude.
See if the manager has a better attitude.
I'd request the balance amount to be emailed as a formal invoice and pay via bank deposit, wouldn't be giving them credit card number over the phone.

Back