Do I have to pay ??

If you knew that you only paid 20 bucks for those tiles instead of been 200 bucks, I am not even sure why you would consider dodging it,
Be a man and pay up

because I don't approve of others trying to pass the buck, and accuse me of anything untoward, when they could of just admitted to the stuff up, ask for the difference back, and apologize for the inconvenience to me and that would be that.

Instead I get a rep who has clearly got his **** kicked for the stuff up takes it out on the customer, and gets abusive when I said I need to check my bank account to confirm what I was charged.

Today I got a phone call from the tile shop wanting me to pay the difference, admitting they input it wrong.

Am I within my rights to not pay the difference ?? or do I have to , given it was their error.

Any ideas ?

thanks
julian

Seriously?

because I don't approve of others trying to pass the buck, and accuse me of anything untoward, when they could of just admitted to the stuff up, ask for the difference back, and apologize for the inconvenience to me and that would be that.

Instead I get a rep who has clearly got his **** kicked for the stuff up takes it out on the customer, and gets abusive when I said I need to check my bank account to confirm what I was charged.

they may be going the wrong way about it and it upset you but it hasn't change the fact that they under charge you and who ever doing the book keeping pick up the error and ask for you to make up the differences.

the moral question for you is do you pay or not pay? I think this is a moral case not a legal case

it is $200ish bucks, it not worth going back and fore and you feel better paying up knowing you doing the right thing

Legally you owe them the money. You entered a ccontact to pay a certain amount for the tiles and then you took them only paying a lesser amount. You would be in breach of this contract.

Legally you owe them the money. You entered a ccontact to pay a certain amount for the tiles and then you took them only paying a lesser amount. You would be in breach of this contract.

that's what I was thinking .... morally right or not, I will pay them eventually....... just wondering how long eventually can be .....

do they even need to formally request payment in writing etc. before debt collectors are sent..... which will cost me more. Just want to stretch it out as long as possible.

Hi

I would wait for management to get back to you and ask them to put the request with the reason in an email to you.

If they are still acting cute then I would act the same with them.

If management handle the situation correctly I would tell them you will be coming into the store for a full apology from the crap staff member and will then pay for what is owed.

Or you could say you paid some of it as cash and some on eftpos and you don't know what all the fuss is about!

Regards,

alicudi

that's what I was thinking .... morally right or not, I will pay them eventually....... just wondering how long eventually can be .....

do they even need to formally request payment in writing etc. before debt collectors are sent..... which will cost me more. Just want to stretch it out as long as possible.

Why?

For goodness' sake, it is less than $200.

Surely you have better things to do with your time!
Marg

Wow. Really?
Its not what happens to us but how we react. Be the better person. Just pay and get on with your life. Surely you've got something better to do with your life than to purposefully string out payment and let the supplier incur the additional costs of further collection efforts.

If you're not happy with the way you were treated give the rep a piece of your mind, or better still complain to the boss. Surely that's enough without being petty.

Why?

For goodness' sake, it is less than $200.

Surely you have better things to do with your time!
Marg

you're right it is less than $200, so the same can be said for the company why over react in the first place.....

and I do have better things to do with my time, but waiting for a letter or 2 then paying doesn't use any of it.

Most company's terms of business (the fine print on the back of the invoice) usually says that title for the goods does not pass to the purchases until full payment is received.

I reckon Julian has copped a hiding from the SS community and then furnished a further story. Otherwise the 'new extra facts' surely would be in the original post.

Request some bank details and be done with it and stop wasting the shop's time, your time, and our time.

pinkboy

Start the car...

images

Most company's terms of business (the fine print on the back of the invoice) usually says that title for the goods does not pass to the purchases until full payment is received.

That is exactly true! bailment - they could come and take the goods back.

Here's a prickly one for you. Received an electricity bill January this year for $1100. (Electricity supplier failed to bill me for over 9 months). When I called the supplier to request an extension because it was there fault I got told that the bill has been paid. I hung up and called back another 3 times and all 3 told me bill is paid. I know for a fact the bill isn't paid and once they realise will pay.

Am I going to hell with Julian?

Pinkboy - why would I need to fabricate a story to get the approval of someone behind their keyboard.

Not that I need to justify myself to you but if it makes you happy.
The reason I left out info in the OP is because I just got off the phone with the rep and was expecting a call back from management soon (which I never received), and was seeking a quick answer to know where I stand. I thought it was a reasonably simple question and had no idea it would become such a contentious topic.

I wasn't seeking the moral answer, we all know what the correct moral decision is. I was seeking the legal standpoint hence the wording "Do I have to pay?"
If i was having a moral dilemma I would of asked "should I pay"

To those of you who answered from more of a legal point of view thank you....to those of you who question my morals, I guess Hodge and myself are going to hell for even contemplating it. I guess the wife and I should separate the beds too ....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I bought some tiles the other day and the store put $22.42 into the eftpos machine instead of $224.

The Invoice I had then said paid in full $224 and $0 owing.

I have since picked up the tiles and they are installed.

Today I got a phone call from the tile shop wanting me to pay the difference, admitting they input it wrong.

Am I within my rights to not pay the difference ?? or do I have to , given it was their error.

Any ideas ?

thanks
julian
I am a business owner, but also a consumer.

If it was me who had the error in my favour as you have - I would pay them.

The amount of sales required to recoup that lost income is more than the income itself.

+1 to this from another lawyer. Not only that, but the longer you delay in paying now that you have realised your mistake, the more suspicious it looks in terms of allegations of either fraud or theft.

Pay the difference and pay it asap.

+1 to this from another lawyer. Not only that, but the longer you delay in paying now that you have realised your mistake, the more suspicious it looks in terms of allegations of either fraud or theft.

Pay the difference and pay it asap.

Could it even be theft now maybe. He has goods in possession that he knows belongs to someone else. maybe not theft originally as no intention at the time but now the intention is there. This would be a criminal offence - if not theft something similar (I am not a criminal lawyer).

Back