Do i need a depreciation quantity surveyor?

Hey guys,

i just bought an IP - 2bed 1bth 1p unit in taringa QLD and was wondering if i should get a depreciation surveyor in?

Kitchen has been renovated in last 2 years, so has the bathroom and also new carpets.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Answer is always YES unless the Quantity Surveyor confirms directly to you its not worth it.

The very nature of a QS report is individual. Most of the larger firms tailor their fee so that the cost NEVER outweighs the value of benefits.

wondering if i should get a depreciation surveyor in?

It's a quantity surveyor and what they produce is a Depreciation Schedule.

Even if it's a pre 87 built flat, the new kitchen, bathroom and carpet will make it worth doing.

And as Paul said, if the QS doesn't think it's worth it, he'll tell you.

Even if it's a pre 87 built flat, the new kitchen, bathroom and carpet will make it worth doing.

... and the window furnishings and the hot water system and the light fittings and the smoke alarms and the common area fixtures and the ...

It amazes me how many people are still getting the bad advice that older properties aren't worthwhile. Even an unrenovated place will generally see people with $2000 in deductions, give or take, in the first full year of claiming. For most people that means a profit on the investment of getting a report (yes, a depreciation schedule should be thought of as an investment) the first time you use it.

Yes, do it.

The two QS who have replied in this thread are very reputable. Scott is one of my favourite humans I never met in person. Search the forums for more details on either.

But yes, get one. Every time I have done it (all pre 87 purchases) it has paid for itself in yr1

Nah, just contact fullylucky with the purchase price, the colour of the curtains and how many gerbils will fit into the laundry... his spreadsheet will do the rest :D

Quanto costa for 2 br unit. Roughly speaking...?

Well to paste from one QS website "it depends" and "from $275 to $715." I would guess it is totally dependent on size of property, complexity and number of the fixtures and fittings, distance travelled for access, and other such factors. I have personally paid around 600-800 several times before and never regretted it. Its the kind of thing you want done properly. Don't penny pinch.

Well to paste from one QS website "it depends" and "from $275 to $715." I would guess it is totally dependent on size of property, complexity and number of the fixtures and fittings, distance travelled for access, and other such factors. I have personally paid around 600-800 several times before and never regretted it. Its the kind of thing you want done properly. Don't penny pinch.

Yes, we don't usually quote without a quick consultation. For example, if this unit is a relatively new construction and we have enough previous experience there, another inspection may not be required (we already have our own photography, the strata plans, an inventory of common area assets and fit-out, etc.). This usually affects the fee.

I recommend you do; you would be surprise to see the amount claimable over time. BMT did 2 of mine and they update it for free if required (I hope that will still be the case this year); so I am happy.

Hey guys,

i just bought an IP - 2bed 1bth 1p unit in taringa QLD and was wondering if i should get a depreciation surveyor in?

Kitchen has been renovated in last 2 years, so has the bathroom and also new carpets.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Back