Do I need council approval for this in Brisbane

I am considering downsizing into one of my rentals in which is a small 3 bedroom house with a decent deck front and back but it has a poorly executed kitchen and entry.

If I block off the existing front door I can extend the kitchen bench to that wall and gain another 2m of kitchen.
I can then put a sliding door (in red) in the same wall for increased ventilation, light and better access.

The current back door I would like to fill in and make that alcove into a pantry.

In Bedroom 3 I will add a sliding door where a window currently is and make it my office.

The back deck I plan of making more private (timber slats or colourbond walls) and putting a day bed down one end and an outdoor shower (shower head on post attached to garden hose draining through slated deck into garden below) at the other end.
Over the top of this I planned on a colourbond roof and any water just running off into the yard.

(please see picture)

Seeing as there are no major changes to the structure and no changes to the footprint of the property is this something I can get a builder to do without council approval?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 130
You may have to make adequate provision for storm water running off the colourbond roof depending on its size and location.

"Running into the yard" may or may not be approved as it is illegal to have stormwater running off your roof into a neighbour's yard.
Marg

Thanks for the replies.
The covered part is close enough to 6m x 2.4m and the only neighbors are on the left.
Water shouldn't be an issue as it falls onto grass and there is a large garden between the two properties.

By the sounds of it the rest is a non issue?

Just check that the neighbours aren't down hill from you - make sure the water will flow AWAY from their property in the event of torrential rain.
Marg

Why don't you have an L shaped kitchen with the corner being where the pantry is going? It will be more open plan. You would have a walk in pantry in the corner.

That way you could leave the front door, or still change to how you've drawn it.

You could (if possible) also remove part of the wall between the kitchen and lounge making it more open plan.

You will require a building approval from a certifier at least for the roof over the deck. The other stuff is borderline. May as well put the other things on the plan to make it 100% approved, i'm sure most certifiers would be happy to approve all of it in one application with one fee.

Ashley at Applied Building Approvals (Private Certifier) is outstanding. If you call him and then email him a plan and have a chat he will tell you what you need to do.

From what i can see, there is no need for a BA for your project!
Even for the roof?
I did speak to the PC suggested (Thanks RPI) and he can do it all in I job for $1k (I need to get drawings done as well)
He seemed to think it was borderline but the roof meant PC - but then I guess he would say that as it's how he earns a dollar.

Would rather not as reality is it is just a piece of paper and another hand in my pocket and for what exactly.
It doesn't have any miraculous powers making our building prowess any better.

Even for the roof?
I did speak to the PC suggested (Thanks RPI) and he can do it all in I job for $1k (I need to get drawings done as well)
He seemed to think it was borderline but the roof meant PC - but then I guess he would say that as it's how he earns a dollar.

Would rather not as reality is it is just a piece of paper and another hand in my pocket and for what exactly.
It doesn't have any miraculous powers making our building prowess any better.

$1000 seems steep for a minor BA. My certifier would charge around $700-$800 for something like that. I would get a couple more quotes.

Name?

Even $7-$800 seems steep for what exactly, a bit of paper?

Oh I don't know, maybe experience, 6 years at uni, Professional Indemnity Insurance, you know all the things you don't have. (Here is some homework for you, go and ask a private certifier how long they need to keep their PI insurance for after their last building certification, if you cant afford $1000 you may just wet your pants when you find out how long they need to maintain insurance even after retirement and what the cost is)

That is the piece of paper you get to produce when you go to sell and the purchaser says, is that council approved?

Oh why am I typing this......... keep your $1000 and build whatever you want.

Oh I don't know, maybe experience, 6 years at uni, blah blah

Nice rant, but my point is what does the bit of paper do?
I am trade qualified with 30 years behind me so am more qualified in the real world than some 6 year seat polisher.
If I build to code and am not making structural changes why do I need someone to say, "yeah that's nice here's a piece of paper. That'll be $1000 thanks".

Its as ridiculous as this example.
I was on a site recently where we got in trouble for working close to power lines without the appropriate permit. The permit was nothing but a fee and a piece of paper but what did it do for our safety?
Nothing that's what, it was nothing more than a cash grab.

30 years experience and yet you have to ask if you need approval or not.........mmmmmm.
Usually if it's not what you want to hear you don't ask the question.

As for your safety example - you just can't legislate against stupidity I guess.

30 years experience and yet you have to ask if you need approval or not.........mmmmmm.
Usually if it's not what you want to hear you don't ask the question.
Well do you know?
You haven't exactly came out with a definitive answer have you.
BCC says
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/plan...ed-approval/types-approval/exempt-development
Depending on your property's constraints, exempt projects may include:

demolishing or removing a building in certain areas
minor demolition work in certain areas
minor building work in some areas
Minor building work
An alteration
, addition or extension to an existing building where the floor area including balconies is less than five per cent of the building or fifty square metres, whichever is the lesser.
Seems to me I should be exempt.

I dont mind paying for stuff when its needed or a larg project but this is very minor stuff in my opinion.
The cost of the BC will be about 1/4 of the cost of the job but there is no actual production being done.

As for your safety example - you just can't legislate against stupidity I guess.
Sometimes you can't help but do work near power and you haven't come out with an explanation as to what sort of protection the piece of paper would have afforded us.

Have you an explanation as to what the paper actual does apart from line pockets?

You can certainly go ahead without approval, but just be aware that when you come to sell this decision may well come back to haunt you. Retrospective approval will cost far more.
Marg

Back