Do I need council approval for this in Brisbane

Hi DEC,
Not meaning to come across argumentative.

Looks as though you have done some great research there on the BCC site, hopefully you get the answer you are after there.
But I was responding to your question as to what the piece of paper from the certifier gets you.
I think I have adequately explained what the piece of paper from the Private Certifier gets you so will leave that as status quo.

Safety question, do you want the uniformed or informed answer?

Uninformed answer;
The permit (call it piece of paper if you will) allows you to operate under certain conditions with certain control measures in place. If you do not abide by those control measures then to quote yourself, you will be in "trouble". If you had complied with those conditions of the permit you would not have been in "trouble".
Granted the piece of paper of itself would not make it any safer for you but the control measures contained within that permit if in place should have reduced the risk to an acceptable level.

Informed answer;
I would need to view the permit, work being undertaken, location and any other relevant factors to give an informed answer.

I have been involved in some sticky projects e.g. demolish a set of concrete stairs over 3 levels in an operational hospital with operating theatres running 24 hrs. a day on the opposite side of the wall. Those theatres in descending order were ophthalmology, open heart - adults, open heart - paediatrics.
I have seen it all and can pretty much guarantee, if it needs to be done there is a safe way.
It just depends if you choose to do it the safe way or not (hence the saying: "you just can not legislate against stupidity).

Obviously I do not have all the facts but a simple solution may have been to de-energise the power whilst your work was being carried out.
If power needed to be maintained for customers "down stream" then the relevant power supply company could be engaged to terminate "up stream" of your work location and run an insulated temporary feed past your work location thus bridging the power supply for the "down stream" customers.

Anyway I am sure with 30 years experience you get the picture. You can do it safe if you choose to, the permit says Yes or No within certain parameters.

Anyway welcome to 2014,; user pays/ no free lunches and all that.

Back