do the greens need a lesson in economics? news.com.au article

We'll you know what they say about unqualified opinions and @rseholes, everyone's got one.

The idea that decisions about global warming should be made based on feelings and layman's opinions instead of science is of course ludicrous but this is the Internet I suppose so par for the course.

Clint Eastwood wasn't it? Great line

My view on this predicament - having lived for 50 plus years -

You've missed the point entirely.

Disadvantaged means having less chance of success than others.
You're talking about people with the same level of advantage, making different decisions.

You've missed the point entirely.

Disadvantaged means having less chance of success than others.
You're talking about people with the same level of advantage, making different decisions.
No, I didn't miss the point.

I know the difference between the two, and I did stipulate the working poor.

You have not comprehended my post correctly; neither has me old mate Sanj. :rolleyes:

Yuuuuuuuup, indeed.

Disadvantaged would refer to those who have no chance, and/or less chance of success than others.

But what is "less chance of success"? It certainly doesn't mean "no chance".

Once you have a chance, then the result is in your own hands.

But even in these cases; there are loads of examples around the world everyday of folks who shouldn't succeed; but do.

Maybe it's one of the many refugees who have made it to Aus after losing everything, and have become a successful contributor to our society?

Or one of the many Indigenous kids who have risen above their poverty to become various sports stars, or ranch hands out in the outback, or Politicians, or anything....

Yuuuuuuuuup
:rolleyes:

Disadvantaged would refer to those who have no chance, and/or less chance of success than others.

But what is "less chance of success"? It certainly doesn't mean "no chance".

Once you have a chance, then the result is in your own hands.

So you're saying you're quite comfortable with the current level of disadvantage in Australia, that however slim it may be, there is still a chance of success, so maybe they just need to put in a bit more effort? That's a pretty extreme view.

Why is that you feel more entitled to succeed than others?

Shouldn't we strive to provide equal opportunity to all? And if not, why not?

So you're saying you're quite comfortable with the current level of disadvantage in Australia, that however slim it may be, there is still a chance of success, so maybe they just need to put in a bit more effort? That's a pretty extreme view.

Why is that you feel more entitled to succeed than others?

Shouldn't we strive to provide equal opportunity to all? And if not, why not?
First of all; I don't feel more entitiled to succeed than anyone else.

In fact; my upbringing was one of very little - "working poor" parents - and I made a decision to never end up like them. I loved them dearly, but they made poor decisions in life that made/kept them poor.

As I continually say; most of the level id what you deem "disadvantaged" people are still able to do something to extradite themsleves from their world of poverty.

Someone who is disadvantaged still has a chance to make a success of their lives.

Yes; they need to put in more effort, make better lifestyle decisions probably.

You think it's an extreme view.

I think your view on that is a do-gooder view. We have far too much of that; we need folks who are not of a welfare mindset, not of a hand-out mindset; not of a race-blame mindset, not of a "rich pr!ck boss" mindset in this Country.

I commend you for your do-good mindset, but come on; get real about the world.

The world owes you zero, and rewards those who strive the hardest - most times...sometimes you can still get kicked in the @rse even after all the effort, but at least those folks don't die wondering, and they usually don't cry about missing out like the ones who miss out often do.

We all have the choice to make our own path - even folks who are rotting in prison for their whole lives can get a degree, learn art, etc.

Even the poorest kids in the worst suburbs; they can easily say; "Hey; I'm not living this life; I'm gunna get a job and make something of myself and leave here", etc.

Will it be hard? Frackin' oath.

Last edited:
Recent announcement today on ABC radio news...USA experiencing their coldest winter ever...that's ever...on record.

Now; correct me if I'm wrong, but we started with Global Warming, then miraculously the term; "Climate Change" appeared.

So, what do we call the USA weather position?

Is it Climate Change, or Global Warming?

Who are the disadvantaged in this country?

All I can see is wall to wall welfare. If someone cant make a go of it with all that "help" then they are helpless and dont deserve to be on equal terms with the likes of the rest of us anyway.

We shouldn't be rewarding laziness.

Good posts Bayview.

No the two terms are different things and have been around a long time, but skeptics don't want to know about it and instead present it as some sort of confusion, which of course it is not.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-change-global-warming.htm
I already know what the two terms refer to.

But I think the disciples don't - either that; or they don't like to be found out about much of the BS they spew out.

When GW began to be bandied about some years ago, CC was never used...then all of a sudden it was found that the projections on temp increase were not completely accurate, and hey presto! CC emerged in the rhetoric.

Amazing.

My point is that the GW and CC disciples keep interchanging the term to suit their argument at the time.

If a bloke like me says; "What happened to the GW? - the USA is freezing solid!"

The disciples' response will then often be; Oh no; that's CC"

It's hilarious.

Last edited:
When you grow a little older it will.
Right now, at 33, you are peaking on your "quests" of life and enlightenment.
Enjoy it, as around the corner is reality.;)

Claiming that 100% if scientists around the world have to agree on something before it is valid and 97% isn't sufficient has absolutely nothing to do with age or enlightenment.

If I think the way you do when I'm older I would have gone backwards and not forwards

Who are the disadvantaged in this country?

All I can see is wall to wall welfare. If someone cant make a go of it with all that "help" then they are helpless and dont deserve to be on equal terms with the likes of the rest of us anyway.

We shouldn't be rewarding laziness.

Good posts Bayview.
Thanks.

Look; I come across as a hard heated b@stard at times on this site, but I really am not.

Those who know me know I am extremely generous and will help anyone, so I am the first to say we need to help those here in Aus that need the help.

Noone can do it on their own; I realise that.

Hell; If I was PM none of these other Countries would get aid before our own Country's folks do.

A billion dollars to Indonesia? Think how many hospitals and schools and cops and paramedics that would pay for.

No; I'm not hard-hearted; I'm just intolerent of whiners or the "working poor" who say they are poor/diadvantaged etc because of XYZ factors and use these excuses to justify why they are poor.

If you are gunna be poor, do so and don't whine, or use excuses and begrudge others who aren't.

That sort of rot is - for 96% of us - a load of BS.

Thanks.

Look; I come across as a hard heated b@stard at times on this site, but I really am not.

Those who know me know I am extremely generous and will help anyone, so I am the first to say we need to help those here in Aus that need the help.

Noone can do it on their own; I realise that.

Hell; If I was PM none of these other Countries would get aid before our own Country's folks do.

A billion dollars to Indonesia? Think how many hospitals and schools and cops and paramedics that would pay for.

No; I'm not hard-hearted; I'm just intolerent of whiners or the "working poor" who say they are poor/diadvantaged etc because of XYZ factors and use these excuses to justify why they are poor.

If you are gunna be poor, do so and don't whine, or use excuses and begrudge others who aren't.

That sort of rot is - for 96% of us - a load of BS.

You and me the same.

I go out of my way to help others less "fortunate" than me. Mostly to motivate them and help educate them as to how to make a go of it.

I always end with say, "If I can do it, so can you"

Sanj, Im doing fine and have marched forward in my life rather than backwards. Thats the way I was headed before I became educated to the world of finance. I would have been a loser, renting for the rest of my life, not saving a cent only I was motivated to not live that way so I had a red hot go and its paid off.

I dont understand your view on a lot of things and put it down to a bit of inexperience in general. But you will grow more when you become a bit more mature.
The only reason you would go backwards is by not learning that there are differing views in this world and that you cant castigate someone into thinking the way you do.

Good luck, I wish you well, you obviously invest so financially you will be fine, but emotionally, you've got work to do IMO.

thanks for your concern and condescension.

youre right, ill be fine and youre also right, there are differing views in this world. you'd do well to heed your own advice and accept that, instead of putting differing views down to someone's age.

im glad youve marched forward but i maintain that if i become as close minded as you when im older i wouldve gone backwards not forwards.

once again, i think its utterly ridiculous to claim 100% of the worlds scientists need to agree on something to give it validity.

once again, i think its utterly ridiculous to claim 100% of the worlds scientists need to agree on something to give it validity.

it's like that jigsaw puzzle analogy.

James - "i'm going to start this jigsaw puzzle of scooby doo, wanna help?"
Jeff - "sure thing! lets open the box and get started."

James - "this is not looking like a cartoon, it looks like a photo of something."
Jeff - "mmm - we've only done a quarter of the puzzle - the box says it's scooby doo - we should just keep going"

James - "mate, i'm telling you, this isn't a cartoon of anything, let alone scooby doo - it looks like a landscape picture."
Jeff - "we're only halfway done. stick with it, i'm sure the box is right"

James - "okay - seriously it's a puzzle of mount everest. look, i've just put the piece where basecamp is, right there!"
Jeff - "okay enough dude - the box says it's scooby doo, the reciept you bought it with says "scooby doo puzzle" and plus - there's still 5 pieces to go until it's finished..."

So Aaron, you're blaming climate change - or "global warming", whatever's trend today :rolleyes: - on jigsaw manufacturers, right?

Back